Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ronbo

ASP 9.1

Post by Ronbo »

ASP version 9.1 update is now available for download via Content Paradise. :D
pihms

Re: ASP 9.1

Post by pihms »

Are you able to tell us what the fixes are? More curious than anything. Thanks :)
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I wish I could say, but I haven't seen a list of bug fixes anywhere and I haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet. I'm glad to see this update because even though version 9 added some major improvements, I've found it to be rather buggy and unstable.

Perhaps Fahim will post a list of fixes with an announcement.
barryem

Post by barryem »

I got an email about the update and I couldn't really understand it. It gave instructions for downloading it that made no sense. So I went to the Smith Micro website and got into a chat with a support rep who explained that they've found a problem with the update and that they're fixing it now and that I should disregard that notice until it's fixed.

Presumably when they do fix it they'll send me another confusing notice that doesn't give me the info I need so I can do another chat with them and find out how to actually get the update. It's not the world's greatest system but I guess it should work. :)

At least the woman I chatted with in their support group was very nice about it.

Barry
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

Here's the text from the install for Mac OS:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Anime Studio® Pro 9 by Smith Micro Software Inc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for purchasing Anime Studio Pro 9 by Smith Micro Software, Inc.! This readme includes important information about your new software, some of which is not included in other documentation. Smith Micro Software, Inc. is committed to creating stable and functionally rich software tools.

------------------------------------------
Contents

- Fixes/Improvements in this Update

- The Smith Micro Commitment

- Registering Anime Studio Pro 9

- Content Distribution

- Important Information

- Known Issues

- System Requirements

- Technical Support

- Copyright & Trademark Notice

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Fixes/Improvements in this Anime Studio® Pro 9.1 Update
-----------------------------------------------------------------

- Rendered RLE AVI now imports properly into AS.
- Frame rate of export movie is now the same as the project settings.
- Audio new exports correctly with QuickTime movie files under Mac OS X 10.7.
- Fixed a problem where deleting a style could sometimes lead to a crash.
- Fixed a problem where the application would sometimes lock up when canceling a single frame render.
- Fixed a problem where dragging keyframes past each other could result in a crash.
- Fixed a problem where the timeline would not always update when the selected point(s) changed.
- Fixed issue related to specifying a user content location on first launch.
- In a duplicate mouth group, when you move within layers, and select a new audio file and click OK is now working properly.
- Fixed a problem where the application would sometimes create two main windows on Mac OS, soon after resulting in a crash.
- Revamped script management.
- Up to 500 head morphs now work on imported Poser figure.
- Fixed a problem with bezier handles when dragging keyframes past one another in the timeline.
- Fixed a problem where alt-dragging hold durations for some keyframes would only move in 2 frame increments, making it impossible to adjust the hold precisely (related to bug fix 24934).
- Fixed a problem where creating new styles or deleting styles was not undoable.
- Fixed a display issue when deleting a bone with the Bone Strength tool active.
- Improved edges for layer outline effect.
- Fixed a problem where the timeline would not always update when the selected point(s) changed.
- Fixed problems with the Ogre mouth in the character wizard.
- Stroke Round Caps available when "Noisy Outlines" is Active.
- Fixed some problems with editing camera keyframes when the current layer has a timing offset.
- Saved Styles may not be applied from the Insert Text dialog.
- Point transform tools have explicit selected channels update.
- Clicking a selected keyframe while holding the shift key no longer deselects that keyframe in the timeline.
- Set noisy as your default interpolation and opening an existing file no longer results in extraneous keyframes at frame 0.
- Fixed import/export of audio layers in library.
- Mac version of the tool list text file now has line breaks.
- Fixed a problem with erratic scrolling when using two-finger swipe on Mac track pads.
- When bringing up the Layer Settings dialog, the layer name field is focused and selected for immediate editing.
- Alt+Right mouse clicking now works with text layers in addition to vector layers.
- You can now delete folders properly from the Favorites in the library on Windows.
- Fixed some problems previewing layer masking with text layers.
- Fixed some problems with editing camera keyframes when the current layer has a timing offset.
- If you replace an audio file the layer name now updates to the new name.
- When dragging in an audio file there is now an icon in editing view. Previously, audio layers weren't drawing their icons in OpenGL mode. They do now.
- Down arrow key selection is now working properly.
- Can now delete bones after deleting all keys (window focus issue fixed).
- Deleting frame 0 curvature keys no longer causes shapes to become "invincible."
- Smart bone actions now work on bound layers.
- Green Y axis layer translation line is no longer hard to see against gray timeline.
- Bezier handles now correct for when keyframes move relative to their neighbors.
- When scaling keyframes, the selection would get lost on mouse up.
- Fixed a problem with moving points when multiple keyframes are selected and the points are under the influence of bones.
- Updated the descriptive text for the Transform Layer tool.
- Undo Reset All Layers Channels no longer leaves keyframes.
- Fixed a problem where some combinations of layer effects could lead to ugly halos and color fringing.
- Adjusted sizing behavior of blend morphs dialog.
- Fixed a problem where the window size was not remembered on Mac OS.
- Scrolling view container now erases background properly.
- Fixed a problem with exporting 3D layers as OBJ or POV files.
- The Layer Selector tool now does nothing if the picked layer is already selected.
- Single line Mac text fields no longer line wrap, but scroll horizontally.
- When loading a text layer, we replace DOS line endings with UNIX to prevent issues in the app.
- Fixed a problem where popup dialogs that lock themselves open don't fully close when the users’ clicks "Close."
- Updated timeline bone channel icons to be the same as the respective tools.
- Dialog for importing layers now supports checkbox selection
- The Text tool is now available even when a vector layer is not currently selected.
- Updated menu and dialog text to make content folder creation/selection clearer to users.
- The Layer Settings dialog restores the current tab selection when possible after a layer change.
- Hiding a layer comp no longer hides group layers in the comp to avoid conflicting with visibility of other layer comps.

The Smith Micro Commitment
In our efforts to fulfill our commitment to our customers, we post updaters for our products on an ongoing basis. Please visit http://www.smithmicro.com to check for updates.

Registering Anime Studio® 9

Anime Studio 9 requires registration in order to receive updates and tech support. If you haven't registered your copy of Anime Studio 9 yet, please visit
http://www.smithmicro.com/register. Please make sure you've entered all information marked as necessary, including the Anime Studio 9 serial number you received with your purchase.
If online registration is not working or if you do not have an Internet connection, you may register Anime Studio 9 manually via postal mail, fax, or phone. To do this, print out the Smith Micro Product Registration Form included in the Anime Studio 9 Box.

POSTAL MAIL: Smith Micro Software, Inc. (Attention: REGISTER)
185 Westridge Drive
Watsonville, CA 95076
USA

FAX: +1 (831) 761-6206

We require your serial number in order to register your copy of Anime Studio 9.

Content Distribution

Please refer to Section 5 ("Content License") of the Anime Studio - End User License Agreement ("EULA") included with this software for more information on modifying and distributing existing Anime Studio content.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Important Information:
----------------------------------------------------------------

*Installation of Adobe® Flash® Player 9 or higher (Macintosh & Windows)
Portions of Anime Studio 9 require that Adobe’s Flash Player is installed on your system, version 9 or later is supported. The Flash Player is only needed to view any exported .swf files you may export from Anime Studio. We have included an installer for Flash Player 10 in the ‘Third Party Installers’ folder on the disk (physical purchases only). You can also download the latest version of Flash Player by going to:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

* Microsoft® Internet Explorer® (Windows only)
Anime Studio’s Content Library utilizes Microsoft Internet Explorer technology. Windows® Internet Explorer® 7 or later is required for the embedded Content Library in Anime Studio 9. To ensure the optimal experience and compatibility for the Content Library, the installer will disable “Local Machine Lockdown” for the Anime Studio application. This will not affect other applications outside of Anime Studio. Details about “Local Machine Lockdown” can be found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx.
You can download the latest version of Internet Explorer by going to:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/intern ... sites.aspx

*QuickTime® (Macintosh & Windows)
You must have QuickTime installed in order to playback MP3 audio files within Anime Studio, and for importing and exporting Quicktime .mov files as well as viewing included videos. The Quicktime Installer for Windows is included on the disk in the 'Third Party Installers' folder (physical purchases only). We recommend that Mac users update to the latest version of Quicktime. You can download the latest version of Quicktime by going to: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

* Adobe® Reader® (Macintosh & Windows)
You will need to have Adobe Reader installed to view the included PDF manuals.
We have included an installer for Adobe Reader in the ‘Third Party Installers’ folder on the disk (physical purchases only). You can also download the latest version of Reader by going to:
http://get.adobe.com/reader/

* You only need the Adobe® Reader® on the Mac to view the .swf files embedded in the PDF tutorials; otherwise you can use "Preview" in the Mac.

* Note: The Upload to SendStuffNow feature that was introduced in version 7 is no longer part of the application’s file menu. If you previously signed up for a SendStuffNow account, you can access it through the website at sendstuffnow.com

Known Issues

Anime Studio Pro 9:

- Content Library: The library in Anime Studio requires Windows® Internet Explorer® 8 or newer (Windows only) to run.

- Content Library: Images in the library will appear clipped in some instances, to remedy this problem, we recommend that you install Windows® Internet Explorer® 9 or newer.

- Audio and Flash export; When exporting to Flash, the audio you embed in the Flash file must already be in MP3 format. You must have QuickTime installed in order to playback MP3 audio files within Anime Studio.

- You can only have one audio track if you're planning to export a Flash movie. Because Anime Studio can't encode MP3 files, it also can't mix down multiple audio streams into a single MP3 file. If you're targeting Flash, we recommend that you mix down multiple tracks and encode as MP3 prior to import into Anime Studio.

- Snow Leopard (10.6): If you just installed the Snow Leopard operating system, and have not rebooted your machine yet, we recommend that you reboot it prior to installing Anime Studio 9 to ensure that the application will function properly.

- The F5 Function Key command; This will create a low res movie preview of the work area in the timeline if no work area us defined it will render a preview of the entire timeline. This feature was not included in the documentation.

- EPS VS. Adobe Illustrator as an import choice; We recommend Illustrator as an import file format over EPS provided that the file being imported is Illustrator 8 or earlier compatible. Only import EPS if you have an EPS file. The preferred format, if available, is SVG over both EPS and Adobe Illustrator formats.

- Poser® Scenes in Anime Studio Pro 9: Poser Scenes can be very resource intensive. Using figures with large amounts of strand-based hair in Anime Studio can consume a lot of resources. We recommend to keep strand-based hair usage to a minimum. Also, importing multiple Poser Scenes, or duplicating one scene multiple times in Anime Studio may be resource intensive. Anime Studio Pro 9 requires Poser 7 or later for importing Poser Scenes. You will need to set up the preference to point to a valid Poser installation (Poser 7 or higher).

- 64-bit Windows does not support QuickTime as such there are import and export limitations to video/movie and to audio formats. The only supported movie format for export is .avi. The only supported audio formats for import are .wav, .aif and .aiff. The only supported audio format for export is .wav. If you require the use of QuickTime, then we recommend using the 32-bit Windows (Universal) version of Anime Studio Pro 9 as it supports QuickTime and video formats such as .mov, .avi, .mp4, .m4v, .mpg, and .mpeg. As well, it supports audio formats such as .wav, .aif, .aiff, .au, .snd, .mp3, .m4a, .mid, .midi, .m4p and .m4b.

- 64-bit Mac OS X 10.6.x does not support import of QuickTime audio formats (e.g. mp3 and aac), either as audio files or as audio codecs in video files. To work around this issue, users will have to choose "Open in 32-bit mode" via the application's Get Info window (Select the app in the Finder and either choose Cmd-I or File->Get Info from the main menu). Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8 do not have this limitation.

- When exporting a QuickTime movie with alpha channel on Mac OS, the resulting movie always has a premultiplied alpha channel, regardless of the checkbox that says "Do not premultiply alpha channel."

- When importing QuickTime movies with alpha channels, there is a new option in the Image tab of the Layer Settings dialog labeled "Premultiplied alpha". This is not documented in the manual, but allows Anime Studio to support both premultiplied and straight alpha channels. (Previously, Anime Studio only supported straight alpha channels.)

System Requirements

Windows
* Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 (64-bit OS required for 64-bit installation)
* 1 GHz Intel Pentium or above
* 512 MB RAM minimum
* 1.25 GB (Universal) or 650 MB (32-bit) free hard disk space minimum
* 16 bit color display or above; 1024x768 resolution minimum
* CD-ROM (physical version only)
* Internet connection for Content Paradise
* Windows® Internet Explorer® 8 or newer
* Poser® 7 or later needed to import Poser scenes

Macintosh
* Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8 (64-bit OS required for 64-bit installation)
* 1.5 GHz Intel Processor or above
* 512 MB RAM minimum
* 700 MB free hard disk space minimum
* 16 bit color display or above; 1024x768 resolution minimum
* CD-ROM (physical version only)
* Internet connection for Content Paradise
* Poser® 7 or later needed to import Poser scenes.

Technical Support

You must be registered to receive technical support. If you haven't registered your copy of Anime Studio 9 yet, please visit http://www.smithmicro.com/register.

US & GLOBAL SUPPORT:

Please visit our Web site for the latest information on registration and technical support. For up to date information on our technical support policies or for our online frequently asked questions go to: http://www.smithmicro.com/support.

Note: Smith Micro reserves the right to change its support policies at any time.

Copyright & Trademark Notice

Smith Micro Software, Anime Studio, Anime Studio Debut and Anime Studio Pro are trademarks of Smith Micro Software, Inc. Lost Marble and Moho are trademarks of Lost Marble, Inc. All other product names mentioned in the Software, the Documentation, or other documentation are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies. Registered and unregistered trademarks used herein are the exclusive property of their respective owners. QuickTime and the QuickTime logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Apple, Inc., used under license therefrom.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
"Of course I encourage kids to walk on my lawn. I mean, how else can I test out the death traps?"
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Barry,
I agree that the e-mail was a little confusing, but I managed to get the download. Just go to Content Paradise, log in to your account, click on "view account" and then "view my order history." Find your ASP 9 order and click on the order ID number, which will get you to your download link.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

I did all that too. The link says "Win-AnimeStudioPro_Universal_9.0.exe.zip" I'm assuming when they are done fixing the update the link will say 9.1

i think it would be easier just to hit the "Check For Updates" tab in the Help window in the program itself.
Adam
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

You're right, drumlug13, it certainly would be easier to just "check for updates." I didn't notice until you mentioned it that the Windows version was 9.0. I'm on a Mac and my download was definitely 9.1.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Ronbo wrote:You're right, drumlug13, it certainly would be easier to just "check for updates." I didn't notice until you mentioned it that the Windows version was 9.0. I'm on a Mac and my download was definitely 9.1.
hmm...I'm also on mac and my download was 9.0, maybe they pulled that as well then, as with the windows version?
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

It took me 45 minutes to download the update (Windows) and it says it's 9.0. So presumably I've wasted my time? Yes, the instructions for download couldn't have been more cryptic!
barryem

Post by barryem »

I'm not in a rush for the update. I've just been playing with it a bit and I haven't found any real problems so far. When I get word that the update is ready I'll do it then.

I hadn't thought about Check for Updates. Thanks for that suggestion.

Barry
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

The plot thickens, ulrik. Out of curiosity I just went back to Content Paradise to check the Mac download and it is now 9.0, and not 9.1. But earlier today I successfully downloaded and installed v.9.1. Perhaps they decided to pull it in order to add even more fixes?
Imago

Post by Imago »

I've tried to download the update, but everywhere I see "9.0"!
When I start the installation, it still says "9.0"...
There are the chance they updated the software but NOT the version number on installation and file names? :shock:
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
GiuseppeA

Post by GiuseppeA »

I have no anime studio 9.1 .. in my account
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

They are fixing an issue, so they took it offline.