AS Highlight Reel

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mkelley

AS Highlight Reel

Post by mkelley »

Folks,

First of all let me be crystal clear here -- this is in no way an "official" request. I have no special standing with Smith Micro (although I've worked with the product for five years now and manage the "other" Anime Studio forum). Smith Micro is aware of what I am doing and have been encouraging, though (more about this in a bit).

What we'd like to do is put together an Anime Studio Highlight reel, but not a typical industry reel that splices together bits and pieces from finished work. In this case we're looking for short vignettes on a single theme. When I saw "short" I mean typically between 15 and 90 seconds in length, although going over or under isn't "wrong". As a matter of fact, as long as you stick to the theme, there are no rules.

The theme is "Worst Vacations Throughout History", and each submission should start with a title card indicating year and location (so "A.D. 79, Vesuvius" would be one such card. If the location is part of the punchline you can leave it out, but you MUST include the year.

It's meant to be lighthearted so I would also keep that in mind, although serious entries will be considered. And as to consideration -- the final use of this MAY end up "official" (so Smith Micro may use this in promotional materials, on the website, or whatever). There may be more than one cut, depending on how many submissions and the quality of them. We (those of us overseeing this, and it's not just me :>) are striving to create something that shows all that AS can do, and this is your chance to be a part of it.

Output desired is HD/HDTV 720p (it's a preset on your project settings) and you can post your video to YouTube as long as the license type is set for Creative Commons (you can make the video public or private but if you make it private you need to share the link with me at the very least -- send a PM and I'll give you my email). Feel free to also embed a link in this thread if you like.

The idea is to have fun -- and let's show the "other" software companies that AS is capable of almost anything.
heyvern

Re: AS Highlight Reel

Post by heyvern »

I love it! Count me in.

The simple idea of the title cards with the date and location is absolutely PERFECT! Just that one simple idea put all kinds of ideas in my head and I don't know why. :)

Looking forward to participating.

-vern
chucky

Post by chucky »

What fps are you going for ? In AS this will always be whatever the user last set unless stipulated.
24? can we use 12 to get that in two's look?
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Im happy with 12 :)
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Do it in what FPS you want -- they don't have to share the same FPS.

Someone asked elsewhere for a few example ideas, so here are some things anyone is free to use (or at least be inspired by -- or sickened by my sense of humor :>). And note they are just the punchlines -- your animation can show the setup as elaborate as you'd like (IOW, just because I'm talking about the last scene doesn't mean you can't show them getting ready, packing, traveling, whatever...)

1846 - Tahoe, California
Family folks dressed in western gear outside covered wagon with "Donner" on the side and mom rummaging around in it and with Dad saying to mom "What kind of party is it when you don't pack enough food?"

1947 - Roswell, Nevada
Alien family walking around the desert with mom saying "why don't we just ask those nice government men over there for directions?"

1912 - Titanic
Family of rats standing on ship with mom saying "If ever there was a time to desert it would be now!"

Okay -- I've tried to include enough variety to show that it doesn't have to be human, but there are literally tens of thousands of ways of doing this. You can use almost any resources you have, and just because my thoughts tend to run to words (that's the kind of writer I am) doesn't mean you have to use any -- silent sequences are just fine (may even be far better. I'm just not the most visual guy in the world. Heck, any of those above might work just fine without any words).