ASP 9 announced

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

acid breakdown

Re: ASP 9 announced

Post by acid breakdown »

Last edited by acid breakdown on Tue May 09, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

ThatsNotAllFolks wrote:Where can I find a decent animation software that can do both? Thanks for the help. I guess I am still just looking.
The software that tries to do both ends up being not the best at either. :D

For bone animation, Anime Studio is the best.

For Frame-by-frame, TVPaint is the best.

They both have free demos - try them and see how they work out for you. You'll probably find you don't need to have both capabilities in the same software at all.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

@ThatsNotAllFolks - imagine someone similar to yourself asked for 3D modeling? AS has very basic 3D support too, but it doesn't really do the job. It's like a screwdriver is sufficient if you're tightening a shower head, but if you're building a house you really need a powerdrill :mrgreen:

I highly reccomend that if you plan to do two distinct things, even if they cross over under the 'animation' umbrella, you get the right tool for the job and it will make you way more productive than trying to bend the wrong tool into the right one. your tool 'belt' is your computer, and each tool is a different application for a different job. To expect any application to be a tool 'belt' is unlikely to please.

Sorry about the analogies, but they drivethe point home.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Don't get lured into the spork argument, it will make any sane person hulk out. :mrgreen:
Fbf is the basic principal of animation; you know it, I know it, even Funks' knows it, he just having fun with you.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

ThatsNotAllFolks wrote:Where can I find a decent animation software that can do both? Thanks for the help. I guess I am still just looking.
Sounds like your looking for Swiss Army Knife of 2D animation programs. The only one I know that fits that description is ToonBoom Studio. You may want to get that now as its on SALE for over 50% off ($149). OTOH, if all you want to do is traditional frame-by-frame animation and be able to do digital bone animation then you should purchase Anime Studio with the free upgrade to 9 now and download this program for FREE! :P
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
ThatsNotAllFolks

Post by ThatsNotAllFolks »

InfoCentral wrote:
Sounds like your looking for Swiss Army Knife of 2D animation programs. The only one I know that fits that description is ToonBoom Studio. You may want to get that now as its on SALE for over 50% off ($149). OTOH, if all you want to do is traditional frame-by-frame animation and be able to do digital bone animation then you should purchase Anime Studio with the free upgrade to 9 now and download this program for FREE! :P
Thankyou...I have looked at toon boom and it may very well be what I am looking for. I don't understand what the big deal is about putting/adding dedicated frame by frame capabilities in these kinds of software programs when other software makers give it away. I think I will try the free version :)
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

ThatsNotAllFolks wrote: I think I will try the free version :)
That's probably a good place to start. I know of at least one Animation School who used it in their curriculum to teach students. :shock:
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

ThatsNotAllFolks wrote:I don't understand what the big deal is about putting/adding dedicated frame by frame capabilities in these kinds of software programs when other software makers give it away.
What a strange thing to say. Someone opens an account to comment in a new version announcement thread to complain about the one feature that is missing, then when someone else inevitably mentions the competing product that has that feature, the poster proclaims loudly that they will try that other product (being careful to point out the free version), and makes a cheap parting shot as shown above.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but after that Reddit thing, I'm more sensitive to things like this.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

JaMike wrote:Someone opens an account to comment in a new version announcement thread...
Here it is days away from September and still on the Official SmithMicro website there is no news of ASP 9. I did notice there is going to be a webinar coming up real soon...

Webinar: Anime Studio
When Wed, September 12, 11am – 12pm
Where Online Webinar (map)
Description FREE Anime Studio Webinar! What's New in Anime Studio Pro 9 Presented by The Anime Studio Team at Smith Micro.
More information to follow soon.
ThatsNotAllFolks

JaMike wrote:
ThatsNotAllFolks wrote:I don't understand what the big deal is about putting/adding dedicated frame by frame capabilities in these kinds of software programs when other software makers give it away.
What a strange thing to say. Someone opens an account to comment in a new version announcement thread to complain about the one feature that is missing, then when someone else inevitably mentions the competing product that has that feature, the poster proclaims loudly that they will try that other product (being careful to point out the free version), and makes a cheap parting shot as shown above.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but after that Reddit thing, I'm more sensitive to things like this.
Relax Sherlock, I'm just a nube wanting to know info about animation software. If it makes you feel better, I am disappointed that ToonBoom charges money for training vids, and also it seems that you will never get a disk in a box when you make a purchase. It is only downloadable purchases as far as I can tell. I like that Anime Studio can be purchased in the tangible form and that a newer version may be released soon. Sorry if this is strange but I am just an information seeker at this point. (que the spooky music)
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

ThatsNotAllFolks wrote:If it makes you feel better, I am disappointed that ToonBoom charges money for training vids...
Yep, this is a huge advantage Anime Studio has over Toon Boom. There is just a absolute wealth of FREE resources to learn it. For someone just starting out in 2D I would definitely recommend Anime Studio over Toon Boom for that reason alone. I see that you are starting to see that for yourself too.

You know Smith Micro puts out some really good webinars. They just completed a 4 part one for beginners like yourself. They also have a few demo version options so you can try out some tutorials with it before you buy. That sounds like a pretty good offer to me! :wink:

Of course if your real desire is to do frame-by-frame animation then Plastic Animation Paper is rock solid and the cost can't be beat.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

ThatsNotAllFolks wrote:Relax Sherlock, I'm just a nube wanting to know info about animation software.
:) That's cool, you just riled me up a bit with the snarky comment, I guess. It's rare that noobs talk like that. You are obviously one of a kind. :)

Anyway, InfoCentral's suggestion of Anime Studio plus Plastic Animation Paper is a very good one. Stick around on the forum, try actually using Anime Studio, and you'll see why it's a better option than Toon Boom (even without built-in Frame-by-frame).
tatrik

Post by tatrik »

Does anybody know the exact date of the release. The first of september or at the end of the month?
ThatsNotAllFolks

The more I watch tutorials and webinars on Anime Studio, the more that I am convinced that Anime Studio is the way to go. 8)
Now just wondering when the new version 9 will be released.
acid breakdown

Post by acid breakdown »

Last edited by acid breakdown on Tue May 09, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.