Image texture effect.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Admiral Halsey

Image texture effect.

Post by Admiral Halsey »

Hello, everyone!
I have a question about Image texture effect. One of the biggest problems I have with anime studio - is that it lacks good multi-colour fill option. I really don't like Gradient since it makes things look synthetic. Splotchy effect is not very handy as well. So I have a question for you -
Is it a good idea to use Image Texture effect to colour shapes in anime studio? For example if I want to draw a chair I can use image of some wooden texture or for zebre I can apply picture of real zebra skin.
The reason I ask is because I only start using this program and only learning main principles of working with shapes. I watched many tutorials but I haven't seen much explanation or hints or any examples of how to work with Image texture for shapes in Anime Studio while it seems pretty valuable effect to me.
I would like to hear your opinions.
slowtiger

Re: Image texture effect.

Post by slowtiger »

I've just worked on a commercial project which used bitmap textures for each and every fill. Very nice effect.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I have worked with vectors and image textures. You can get very nice results. The only advice is to consider images will bend with bone strength. It doesn't matter if you bind points to bones, the texture will only react to the strength, so you must setup your characters like if they were made of images (each part separated from each other).
Check this two examples. In them all the characters are vectors. It's great to combine vector and textures, because you have the freedom of animating points, plus the look of natural textures. The first was completely made in AS8, all vector. The second has characters made in AS and final composition and effects in AfterEffects.

Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

both those look great! don't think i've seen them before :)
acid breakdown

Post by acid breakdown »

Last edited by acid breakdown on Tue May 09, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Admiral Halsey

Post by Admiral Halsey »

Yep, some little webinar or tutorial would be nice.

Selgin, those are really good examples. I think using textures can give totally different vibe to the animation. Unfortunately Anime studio coloring tools are far from perfect.
e1

Post by e1 »

i would love a sample file that shows a character that combines vectors an textures.
A webinar topic on this would be even better. I've really learned a lot from them.

thanks,

e1