On Stopping Span on these Boards

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

InfoCentral

On Stopping Span on these Boards

Post by InfoCentral »

This board has gotten spammed quite a bit lately and it seems that it is not going away. I know one way several boards I frequent have stopped this from happening. I believe CG Talk uses this too. You don't allow the first 5 or 10 messages to be posted to the board until they are reviewed by the moderator. After you post 5 to 10 legit posts then your restriction is lifted and you can post directly. This pretty much eliminates spam.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
macnavi

Post by macnavi »

It's annoying and completely a waste of time of the spammer (or is it a robot?). I never have seen something like this elsewhere, which I find remarkable. Let's put a stop to it.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

These aren't bots, these are real people. I reckon they see the boards aren't strictly moderated and just go for it.

There needs to be a zero tolerance policy, with people being banned the first time they post spam.

Infocentral, your Meetup.com signature might get you thrown out with the spammers... :)
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

JaMike wrote:Infocentral, your Meetup.com signature might get you thrown out with the spammers... :)
MeetUp.com doesn't sell anything. All they do is provide a FREE service, sort of like Google Search, for finding user groups in your area. I encourage you to start up one for Anime Studio.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

InfoCentral wrote:MeetUp.com doesn't sell anything.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're spamming, just that your signature might be taken for spam, given that most folks round here just have terrible jokes in their sigs. :)
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
macnavi

Post by macnavi »

I thought this meetup signature was spam as well. Still is for me, though, because it refers you to another website with the intention to make it grow. Not that it would help much, on this small forum...
InfoCentral

Re: On Stopping Span on these Boards

Post by InfoCentral »

There, I used a toned down less motivational speech.