question about sound editing

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sargumphigaus

question about sound editing

Post by sargumphigaus »

So I know that Anime Studio has a built in Audio function and all which is cool but in the grand scheme of scene by scene editing, I think I need something more.

For instance, I want to overlap a sound clip from one animated scene over to the next to create a sense of connection between the two seperate animated scenes.

Is it recommended that I find a program that can closer segment the audio clip for a more intuitive scene transition or should I actually get a decent editing program? I use windows live movie maker which seems like a really cheap and minimalistic program by comparison to what is actually out there.

Any suggestions?
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Try Audacity, a free audio editor. It can do a lot of what you need.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Get a decent video editor. (I don't know about Moviemaker, it should do some of ths already.)
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

@ JONBO: I just looked into Audacity, it seems this is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks man.

@ SLOWTIGER: If I can get Audacity and make it do what I plan on doing, I could probably very easily get this to work over windows live movie maker.

Thanks for your input gentlemen. It's vastly appreciated.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

The only downside to Windows Movie Maker is it only has one extra audio track.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

really? That's kind of a big downside. I think I'll have to grab a new video editor program then afterall.
jhaustin1969

Post by jhaustin1969 »

What about Blender?

This is mainly known for 3D modeling and animation, but it does have a fairly powerful Video Sequence Editor as well.

Here are the docs on it:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2 ... /Sequencer

Here is a quote regarding Audio:
--------------------------------------
"You can have as many Audio strips as you wish and the result will be the mixing of all of them. You can give each strip its own name and Gain (in dB) via the N menu. This also let you set a strip to mute or 'Pan' it; -1 is hard left, +1 is hard right, with percentages in-between.

Overlapping strips are automatically mixed down during ANIM processing. For example, you can have the announcer on channel 5, background music on channel 6, and foley sound effects on channel 7. "
--------------------------------------

Can't say I've used it myself, but I plan too, since I only have AS Debut right now and will need to combine multiple 2 minute videos together.

If you decide to use it, let us know how it works.

Thanks,
Joe
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

I'll look into it and let you know.
spoon

Post by spoon »

If you have any digital audio editing experience I'd recommend trying the demo of Reaper...great DAW at a great price. I haven't even used the midi side of it... but it's freaking awesome for laying out multiple tracks with non-destructive fx. Latest updates fix some of the video rendering issues it had in the past, so importing quicktime files works great for me...

http://www.reaper.fm/

I usually import a lower res quicktime of my final edit with the scratch track and do all my final audio mixing in reaper. Once that's done I export the wav out to vegas for the final HD render.

The learning curve can be a little steep, but it's well worth it.