how does trace image work?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mayfly

how does trace image work?

Post by Mayfly »

I scan a drawing I made, but it only traces part of the image. Its a real hassle to go in and trace the missing parts, plus it makes to feature seem useless if I still have to draw it in. All the lines are the same width, so I don't think that's the problem. I followed the tutorial exactly how it was shown, but I still get fragmented images. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
JCook

Post by JCook »

Did you adjust some of the controls in the Trace dialog, such as the detail reduction? If you move that slider you'll see dramatic changes in the detail as you go left or right. Also, I don't think the Trace Image tool was meant to necessarily give you a perfect tracing of an image. What it really does is make a tracing you can then work with and refine by hand so that you don't have to trace the whole thing. If your image is a simple one you'll get a pretty good reproduction, but it it's a detailed complex image then the trace will need a lot of work. And it it's color it can be a whole level more complicated. Use the tool as a beginning, not as an end.

Jack
Mayfly

Post by Mayfly »

yeah i tried that. i guess i was doing it right. in the tutorial it traced the whole image, so i guess thats why expected the same results.
Mayfly

Post by Mayfly »

oh yeah thanks for the clarification