Backgrounds

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Artpen

Post by Artpen »

neeters_guy wrote:May I also suggest another natural media program called MyPaint. Its interface is clean and is a joy to use. It also open source:
MyPaint
Thanks neeters, downloaded MyPaint, had a go, very simple and smooth, great stuff..

Thanks, Art
Imago

Post by Imago »

Artpen wrote:
neeters_guy wrote:May I also suggest another natural media program called MyPaint. Its interface is clean and is a joy to use. It also open source:
MyPaint
Thanks neeters, downloaded MyPaint, had a go, very simple and smooth, great stuff..

Thanks, Art
Uhm... I have tried it, but there are a LOT of options less than ArtWeaver... And my tablet refuses to work with it, the brush are inches away from the cursor... When i draw in the center, lines appears in the top right of the window! :shock:
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
Artpen

Post by Artpen »

I had no trouble with my tablet, mmm, I'm a newbie so I wouldn't know

I'm trying everything at the moment, and ArtWeavers next, it sounds cool..

Artpen
Dust

Post by Dust »

Sven Foster, I think your background drawings are great. Specially the wooded window. Great work.
It is interesting to read all the different comments on paint programs.
I recently stumbled upon 2 programs that I thought have great potential for backgrounds. One is Dogwaffle (The more expensive latest version is PD Howler) as well as Twisted Brush. I was impressed with the neat features both these programs have. Dogwaffle even gives you the option of animating grass and skies and sop forth, which has made siome of my backgrounds much more to my liking. These programs run only on PC. and at present not on MAC.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

Imago wrote:
Uhm... I have tried it, but there are a LOT of options less than ArtWeaver... And my tablet refuses to work with it, the brush are inches away from the cursor... When i draw in the center, lines appears in the top right of the window! :shock:
Imago
Maybe try the latest version. I never had the problems you've had with my tablet though.
Is somewhat limited in features, but the brushes are great. I use it all the time.

Good luck to you Artpen!

udd
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Just for the sake of completeness: you can always draw and paint on paper and scan it.
barryem

Post by barryem »

Another program to try is Corel Draw. It tries pretty hard to be like both Photoshop and Illustrator. There are two programs, Draw and Paint. Actually there are several others as well.

I bought the older version of their student version from Amazon for $40. I first called Corel and made sure it was okay for a non-student to buy it and they assured me it was as long as I don't plan to use it for professional work.

This is an extremely powerful set of programs. Way more than I'll ever need, but it's nice to have that kind of capability.

By the way the rep at Corel also explained to me that this has all the features of their professional version. They leave out a lot of the included content but the programs are the same.

Barry
ErikAtMapache

Post by ErikAtMapache »

I've used CorelDraw for years. It's a pretty nice vector drawing program - along the same lines as Adobe Illustrator. I use it for all of the t-shirt and poster work I do (I also like ArtRage for painting-style stuff). I'd like to see AS adopt some of the user interface elements of CorelDraw. CorelDraw has been around for more than 20 years, so they've had a lot of time to mature their interface.
Dust

Post by Dust »

Hi Eric
I bought your lanky burd awhile back. Pretty neat as I can use it as a simple add-on.
Nice work
ErikAtMapache

Post by ErikAtMapache »

Thanks for the complement -- I really appreciate it (sorry for the delay in answering). If you put anything on YouTube with it, make sure to post a link here. It would be great to see what you've done with it.

Erik
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey Artpen,
I'm pretty new at AS, but I usually draw my backgrounds in another program then use AS for the characters. It's just easier that way because the drawing tools in AS aren't that great. But I've seen some good backgrounds created in AS. Just depends on what kind of look and style you're going for.
Artpen

Post by Artpen »

Thanks for the tip Matsuemon, I think I will use a bit of both, AS and a paint
program to get my look, again, thanks.

Artpen