SVG in AS 8.1

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

TonyPolizzi

SVG in AS 8.1

Post by TonyPolizzi »

the SVG import in AS 8.1 update is what I really expected. A big Thank you. It is so rare to see companies who listen to their customers.

I recently realized how developpers in general (Adobe, among the others) are moving towards HTML5, CSS, and SVG tools for the next future animation technology. Within a couple of years, we will probably forget about Flash. Who knows it?

In particular, since SVG (with SMIL or JavaScript) easily allows interactive animations with just few lines of code, I wonder if you are considering the possibility to export AS animation as an SVG interactive animation file. This would open a lot more possibilities. I am just thinking about using AS to make e-learning interactive animations, clickable maps, data-driven animations (accessing to MySQL, MS Access, etc.)

OK, let's stop dreaming for now...
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Forget about "a few lines of code". The Flash format was successful for 2 reasons: 1. it had a good enough user interface to create even complex animations, and 2. it had the SWF file format as a highly compressed delivery format, which could be read by the free Flash plugin in nearly every browser. (And 3. was the programming abilities, adding complex interaction to websites easily.)

SVG and HTML5 are in the baby stage right now. There are some impressive examples out there, but most just show some particle behaviours with a bit of user activity, or simple geometrical operations with basic shapes like rectangles or circles or fonts.

I haven't seen any character animation done with that combo yet. And if that happens, don't expect the files to be any smaller than SWF.
benecosse

Post by benecosse »

AS can import SVG but it can't export SVG, is this right?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

benecosse wrote:AS can import SVG but it can't export SVG, is this right?
Only SWF for vector format.
benecosse

Post by benecosse »

ok, seems strange. Perhaps they are still working on it?
Last edited by benecosse on Thu May 05, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyPolizzi

Post by TonyPolizzi »

slowtiger, you're all right.

At the moment Adobe Flash is certainly unbeatable as for drawing and animation complexity. Even though I personally prefer AS for many reasons.

As you know, the Flash SWF file format is hidden and not accessible (which could be good in some cases but also bad in some other cases).
On the other hand, SVG is open to anyone and if one knows SVG programming language, it is possible directly modify the source file and create some really interesting interactive animations.
This does not mean that we can make character animation in this way of course. It would be really annoying and it would take a lot of time.
The lack of an interface is certainly one of the many problems to solve, it's true. As you correctly mentioned, SVG is still at the "baby" stage. However, things are changing.
We can use a wonderful open source drawing tool like Inkscape for drawing at the moment. Not yet at the same level of Adobe Illustrator but is starting to become a very interesting application.

Adobe Flash price is also very high, like all the other Adobe products and also this will reduce the number of users in the long term as soon as applications like AS will offer more options at a lower price.
What is strange to me is that Adobe is now developping Edge, and there are rumors that Flash support will be discontinued.
I was considering myself to upgrade my old Flash copy but, after this news I gave up.

As for 2d animation, I will keep using AS. In the meanwhile, I hope AS developpers will add interactivity by means SVG, CSS or HTML5 in the future, for the reasons I told in my previous message.
As correctly stated by benecosse, it does not make much sense to add just SVG import, isn't it?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Correction: the SWF file format is at least in the biggest part documented and "open" as far as Adobe permits - otherwise AS couldn't render to it!

See details at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWF.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

AS can import the .ai format, but not export Illustrator files -- it can export Flash files, but not import them. If you are going to complain about inconsistencies, why stop at svg? And the Flash file format *is* open, with millions of users and thousands of developers. It's not that change can't happen, but it will take years for Flash to disappear from the scene, if at all.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
neon22

Post by neon22 »

I use Inkscape for making SVG.
I am very hapy to hear that SVG is supported.

I know the ai file format is private and very hard in recent versions.

Yay for SVG. Yay for Inkscape. http://inkscape.org/

Next you know AS will be authoring for Popcorn (the HTML5 media lib) :-)
http://popcornjs.org/demos