Character design/ point question

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Come to think of it he does look like him, always loved that movie, must have emulated him!
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

GCharb wrote:Come to think of it he does look like him, always loved that movie, must have emulated him!
I have always liked the thin tall type characters. I animated this one for a local hardware store earlier this year.

Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Yeah, I remember him, and I also like the tallish, very stylized characters like these.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

GCharb wrote:Yeah, I remember him, and I also like the tallish, very stylized characters like these.
I actually went on to make a front and side of this and fully rigged them.

Now if I had any real ability to write a story and do something with it; is in itself a different story.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Matsuemon

Random question

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey guys,
Take a look at this photo I'm using as a reference. I have a question about random facial lines (indicated by the white arrows) and how I might set them up in the model. For example, when the character turns all the way to one side, some of those lines will be gone/hidden. But since they aren't objects, like an eye or ear, I don't know if I can do layer sorting on them, but maybe I could put them on a layer like "left facial lines" and "Right facial lines" then give them a negative z depth to make them disappear in profile view?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Just create a separate vector layer for the lines and just move them out of view when not in use.
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

GCharb wrote:Just create a separate vector layer for the lines and just move them out of view when not in use.
Ok cool. Was thinking it was possible but wasn't sure. Thanks Gilles! :D
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

lines are still object and can still be depth sorted... also, you could move them off camera without them being in their own layer - but if they are on their own layer you could just animate their visibility.
neon22

Post by neon22 »

You can also scale them to size 0.0
Can be useful, if when turning head, you are shortening them anyway...
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

or animate the stroke to 0 rather than the points... (if that's not what you meant)
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey Funk and Neon,
Thanks for the great ideas. To be honest I didn't even know you could do that. Never even thought of animating or scaling a stroke, but it makes sense now that I think about it. Thanks again!
Matsuemon

Horse/rider design question

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey guys,
I've been giving my Old West animation some more thought, and whether or not to attempt it in AS. I guess none of the horse stuff would be too bad in AS Pro, but doing some of the tack (reigns, saddle, etc) will be a bit of a pain. I'm wondering if I should create a horse from three or four different views, like I would a person. Or should I just do all the more complicated things (turns, etc) FBF and by hand?
Any thoughts or ideas are welcome! I did find a free horse model for AS, but I will have to add the tack and saddle. Anyway, thanks for any input

--Jason