camera zoom fluctuation

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

archie

camera zoom fluctuation

Post by archie »

When I set two key frames for a camera zoom, the rate of zoom begins very quickly and then slows to a crawl near the second keyframe. I've been unable to find a way to control this. I simply want to zoom in at a constant rate.

I've been stuck on this forever now and would be very grateful if anyone could shed some light on my dilemma.

Thanks,
A
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Keyframe interpolation: you can change it from smooth to linear.
archie

Post by archie »

Thank you for such a prompt reply.

I was aware of the differences between the types of keyframe interpolation but I think what I was struggling with was the functionality of the camera tools.

What I didn't know, but discovered almost immediately after posting my question, was that holding the alt key allows you to use the "track camera" to achieve a more evenly paced zoom (I think).

The difference between using one over the other is subtle unless it's a long zoom in. Then you can see the "zoom camera" covering most ground in the first few frames of the zoom and slowing considerably as it approaches the next keyframe.

Perhaps the tracking camera works in the opposite way while zooming in?

I'm curious as what the theory is behind the way the two cameras work but mostly just glad to not be stuck on it anymore.

Thanks again,
A [/i]
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'v always had problems with camera movements which were more than a simple linear tracking. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's completely messed up.

If I don't need any parallax effects (that's 3D camera for you) I've used 2 old-fashioned solutions (from pre-digital age):
1. draw a curve with increments, import ths and use it as reference
2. separate x and y movements by placing all animation into one group, and this group into another group layer. One of these only moves x, the other only y = much better control.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

slowtiger wrote:.....If I don't need any parallax effects (that's 3D camera for you) I've used 2 old-fashioned solutions (from pre-digital age):
1. draw a curve with increments, import ths and use it as reference
2. separate x and y movements by placing all animation into one group, and this group into another group layer. One of these only moves x, the other only y = much better control.
Slowtiger, you've talked about camera moves on other posts and i was under the impression that you put the animation in groups and simply moved the groups to simulate the camera. Can you clear that up for me?

Also do you put the x group into the y group or vise versa, or does it matter?

udd
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

x into y or the otehr way: doesn't matter.

Yes, I move those groups instead of using the camera.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

Thanks!