AS an TB

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

hothead

Post by hothead »

bbbbbbbbbbbbolt see him
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Canada here, the only place on earth where peoples can eat ice cream at -30 Celsius. ;)

Surprising how many shows are still Flash made, as Flash is not the best at animation.
shift

Post by shift »

I started using AS because it was cheaper and easier to learn. As a former software developer, I'm not fond of bootlegging software. Especially if I am intending to use it for professional work. I plan to buy ToonBoom as well when I can afford it. There is a special going on right now for $350 but I'm strapped for cash right now so I will just let that deal slide. ToonBoom has specials all the time. I'm sure I'll catch it again.

At first I thought man, Anime Studio is so limited you can only do kiddy stuff with it. After using Anime Studio for a while I started to realize the capabilities are almost endless. I can see where you can achieve the same results as Toon Boom with ease. As someone pointed out, it's about what style you are comfortable working in. I have found Anime Studios work flow quite comfortable for me and I am ready to try and push boundaries with it.

I say teach yourself both software. One lesson I've learned being a programmer/software developer is "Never get tied down to any one software" you never know what new software is going to explode tomorrow and become the standard. Right now I know 3D animators who use several software to accomplish the entire look they want, including After Effects.

As a one man shop Anime Studio is fine for me.
hothead

Post by hothead »

when you use TB you well said something else i know
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

shift wrote:There is a special going on right now for $350 but I'm strapped for cash right now so I will just let that deal slide. ToonBoom has specials all the time. I'm sure I'll catch it again.
You can get ToonBoom Studio for $149 on a one day sale now. If you miss that you can pick it for $199 here.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Hey Hothead,
Well there are several parts of the answer to your question. Like others have said, part of it depends on your drawing ability. The good thing about AS is your really don't need to know how to draw in order to use the software. So for people who want to animate, but can't draw well, this is a good software. Also, AS is a comparatively new software and way of animating, compared to hand drawn animation, which is pretty much what TB is based on. So of course there will be a lot of prejudice and lack of knowledge of the newer method. It doesn't make AS any worse than any other method, it could just mean it hasn't caught on yet.
Now I will say that I have seen very few really good AS animators, but that could be said of ANY animators, not just AS users. If you're talking South Park quality stuff, or Archer, or some of these newer shows, the animation and character models are often pretty bad. But technically it's "professional" stuff because it's on TV. I know this software has the potential to produce every bit as good of animation as has ever been out there, because I've seen some amazing stuff done (often by people on this very site). I just wish there was more of it. Anyway, just my two cents =)