SM to lay-off 20% off workforce

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

dueyftw wrote:I'm going to find another program that does the same thing.
Sounds like your making the right decision. Good-luck...
kellz5460

Post by kellz5460 »

dueyftw wrote:Really? Without keying 'drop to floor' on every frame, most BVH imports don't work in Poser. Version 5 OK, still in version 8. Poser has a bug in the BVH imports that make me have to crop off the hand bones because it twist then 90 degrees. Did not have it in version 5. For 3d work I'm going to use Daz studio because Poser hasn't the tools I need. Shure Daz might not have them, but their is a good chance that they will eventually get them.

Even Anime Studio adds the extra work of 'hide channels'. Who thought that it was helpful? It just makes more work.

Useless things like 'Trace Image' that doesn't use a center-line trace. Again, what the funk?

Simple tools like a jog that allows one to skip by 2's, 3's or any setting would be more useful than a trace that I can't use.

In each new version most things that are added are for show, not any real help to making animation. It no wonder that anyone who has been doing animation with other programs and watching them evolved wonder why anyone would use AS.

Smith Micro has been reselling the same software with more bells and whistles and it is getting old.

Dale
THIS- seriously... What more can you ask for in an animation program? Tweens...and frame by frame if you're doing 2D. Want the bonus of some psuedo 3D stuff? mmkay but really at the end of the day what can you do? You still have to draw whatever and even macromedia flash, as basic as it is, can make some awesome animation if you have the time patience and skill.

Heck, my power went out for a couple of days and guess what I did- whipped out the old pen and paper and it worked just fine
OMG make it stop!
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Back on topic: My take is Sm is still very much committed to the Product - Fahim has been brought back on board as the Product Manager with the brief to get things back on track. Plenty of posts here to show that is now happening.

I would be very much surprised id Sm walked at this point... quite simply they have been investing heavily on it and need to see a return.

Rhoel
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

THIS- seriously... What more can you ask for in an animation program?
Have you tried the Morph Dials script? Instead of a slider the morph could have dials that go beyond 100% or negative. Or better yet a box where you could move them around in time. And having several masters that could also be keyed.

Or something simple: How about a jog controls. Jog forward or back by 'X' amount of frames.

I could give you more but the powers that be want to have a super New user friendly program, so instead of working on some real improvements, they put in an easy up load to YouTube and the Character Wizard.

I did resolved my issue and placed an order, but it was over hour on the phone. I got a master cylinder for my motorcycle off the web. Never need to talk to the company, they just put it in a box and shipped it. The motorcycle parts distributor makes money because they don't have their time wasted on a website that doesn't work. Smith Mirco had about 4 people who dealt with my order.

Smith Mirco needs to reevaluate what it is going to be. A reseller of programs that slowly are going out of date. Or going to keep ahead of the joneses by have software that no one else has.

Dale
Fahim

Post by Fahim »

Hi Folks,

I thought I would chime in here.

The Smith Micro Productivity and Graphics Division is dedicated to providing you the best possible graphics based software products. Our division is doing well and recent layoffs have not affected us. The layoffs are a consequence of the major shifts occurring in the wireless market and we are aggressively realigning ourselves to play a key role in that new environment. The Productivity and Graphics Division is committed to our strategic focus on graphics products. Our goal in the upcoming year is to improve our existing product lines and to launch new and exciting products.

I want to let you know that we value your opinions and we are working towards implementing your recommendations on our existing product lines.

I personally know that each and everyone of you has played a key role in supporting our beloved Anime Studio product and as such I wanted to thank you for your continued support.

Should you have any comments or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Fahim
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Great news for you guys at SM and us. So are you going to release an iPad version soon ;) I need to decide if I'll get a 2 or wait for a 3
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

Interesting, just as a warning to everyone - keep your eyes open. I just "sent a payment" to smith micro from paypal, at 5am this morning. Yeah, that wasn't me. I think they may keep our credit card records on file so I'm going to be disputing this charge but please be careful, I'm sure ex employees are doing things they shouldnt.

RonC
Anime Studio, Xara Xtreme 4, Magix Movie Edit Pro 11, Papagayo, Ableton Live 8, Artrage Deluxe
Fahim

Post by Fahim »

Interesting, just as a warning to everyone - keep your eyes open. I just "sent a payment" to smith micro from paypal, at 5am this morning. Yeah, that wasn't me. I think they may keep our credit card records on file so I'm going to be disputing this charge but please be careful, I'm sure ex employees are doing things they shouldnt.
Ron,

If there is ever any doubt with any of your payments from Smith Micro, I would recommend contacting our support team.

http://www.smithmicro.com/support/contact.aspx

949-362-8461

Regards,

Fahim
Fahim

Post by Fahim »

SvenFoster wrote:Great news for you guys at SM and us. So are you going to release an iPad version soon ;) I need to decide if I'll get a 2 or wait for a 3
This is definitely something that is being evaluated :)