Speaking and head turns?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

3deeguy

Speaking and head turns?

Post by 3deeguy »

How do you rig a character to both speak and do head turns?
I'm trying to combine a preston blair switch layer with 'head' actions. The point of origin for the switch group is different from the origin point of the phoneme layers. A problem shows up with the switch layer when I insert actions for the character's head. Then all I see is teeth and the tongue. I have to 'find' the 'jaw' which 'jumps' to some other spot.
I'm trying to avoid including the entire head in a phoneme switch layer which also has head turn actions. I want to use invisibility on the switch layer. The head will turn from 3/4 rear view to a side view. At that point I make the switch layer visible then reverse the views.
I'm still experimenting so I'm not pulling my hair out...yet. Past problems tell me I may have to reconstruct the switch layer inside the bone layer to eliminate the 'jumpy jaw'.
Cheers, Larry
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I have a tutorial with a basic head turn with dialogue, may give You some ideas.

http://gcharb2d.blogspot.com/2011/07/he ... ogues.html
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Best way still is to have a complete mouth set for each head position, and to avoid those unnatural slow head turns anyway.

If you're afraid of work, animation is not for you.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I'm working in a turning talking head right now.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54411/videos/Tu ... ctions.mp4
The idea is simple: just combine switch and blend morph. I made this video showing how (it's 3:30, 11mb).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Very good technique selgin, thanks for video.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Excellent! Thanks guys.
Cheers, Larry
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

slowtiger wrote: .........If you're afraid of work, animation is not for you.
Okay, back to work.
jaakay

Post by jaakay »

Hi Selgin,

Fantastic technique! Would it be possible for you, or someone to translate the names of the layers or better still, (I hope it is not cheeky to ask) if you could upload the anime file so that I can get a better understanding of how to recreate it.

Thanks in advance. :)
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Nice tutorial selgin! ;)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

jaakay wrote:Fantastic technique! Would it be possible for you, or someone to translate the names of the layers or better still, (I hope it is not cheeky to ask) if you could upload the anime file so that I can get a better understanding of how to recreate it.
Hi, Jaakay, I received your email, but hadn't time to answer until now. Sorry.
Now, the layers of this example are not much important. All you must know is there is a switch layers and actions on each phoneme.
Anyway, I took the time to translate the layer names:
Sorry, I can't share this anme file.
Last edited by Víctor Paredes on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jaakay

Post by jaakay »

Selgin, you are an angel. Thank you very much for that. :)
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

This technique is very cool, Selgin, but it seems to me that you mainly use Blend Morphs for only 1 action at 100%, so could get the same effect just by inserting the action.

I think the possibilities of this technique would be made even greater if relative blending ever gets added to Blend Morphs. Then you could blend a look up action with a look right action instead of just rotating the layer.

You could also blend in additional actions like expressions or stretch and squash to really add to the expressiveness of the animation.
crsP

Post by crsP »

selgin, I have been using the layer translate to overlay movement, as you have done in your Mr Ed video, and so was wondering if you have come across any drawbacks to this method? Keyframe management, errors, etc.
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

I just discovered why the jaw separated from the teeth and tongue and jumped to some spot way off the working area when I did a head turn. It was because I copied part of the head vector to make the mouth. The head had actions which which meant the jaw had actions.
I have learned that if you copy part of a vector you must build the switch layer before you create actions or you must create a new vector.
I'm glad I asked the question because I got some bonus info that will come in handy. Thanks again.
Cheers, Larry
chucky

Post by chucky »

Most elegant Selgin, masterful technique...thanks for sharing that. :D