Anybody get this?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kellz5460

Anybody get this?

Post by kellz5460 »

Whilst working on whatever you are working on- You gradually tend to hate it more and more the further you work on it and the further it gets to completion?

this angst is driving me mad!

i keep working on things then take a break- after a while I come back and I still hate it and want it to die a quick and painless death....

my art....my work...is crap.... :cry:

for your viewing pleasure... and maybe some responses....i present to you...boobs:

OMG make it stop!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Don't put yourself down. You're one of the good artists here in the forum. I might not like your style or content, but I can see that you know your kraft.

And I know that feeling oh so well. Even after 30 yrs I'm not really convinced I have even the smallest bit of talent. Most times my own artwork looks crappy to me.

But then are the days, oh, they're rare, but on these days you do a fast sketch and it is just right. And you know it.
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

I know how you feel, Kellz but you are doing what you love doing, right?
THAT should be what matters first.
If i could get my butt into gear like you have then I would be content.

Don't worry!! Maybe you could temporarily try a different direction, a different style of animation for a change to get some "air".
You can call me Pat.
JCook

Post by JCook »

kellz5460 --

I know exactly what you're talking about. I do scientific illustration and animation, and have done this for 28 years. I have a lot of projects that I work on that go through a lot of changes by the client, and sometimes after a while I start hating the work (not my job, just that particular part of it). It passes away usually and I'll work on other things that interest me more. But that's just the way it goes. Hang in there, and, as slowtiger said, don't put yourself down. And like slowtiger, after working for 28 years as a graphic artist, I also don't think I have enough talent to do the job. But others usually do. You are your harshest critic, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, because it makes you constantly try to improve. You never stop learning.

Jack
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

The arms look kind of stiff and unnatural in their movement, and the boobs take just a fraction of a second too long to dance their little dance. The hair also does not follow through when she stops moving. For the whole weldschmertz thing, though, you just have to grit your teeth and get through it!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Pah cheer up, you are spending to much time animating. Go for a walk or get drunk or play some games.

Also any idea why I cant see boobs? browsing with safari on the mac something mental happens when I try to look at your animated gifs. Not sure how your generating them.. cheers

--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

Save this post and look at it 3 years from now! If you love what you do and just keep working on it, and before you know it, you look back and laugh at this. You seem to know your craft, and so with your critical analysis of yourself, I'll bet you will just keep pushing the envelope.

But in my opinion, I say your stuff way better than most I have seen. I think the hair is impressive and weighted really well the way it fell forward. BTW I can see the boob jiggle just fine!

Oh, and write down what you don't like, maybe more head can find a tip on making it better. Stan Lee suggest that! He says he write down what he doesn't like and also what he does like when he looks at other works of comics. Same could be said for animation.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

SvenFoster wrote:...something mental happens when I try to look at your animated gifs.
:lol: Whoa, I'd like to have what you're having. :wink:

kellz5460, you are being too hard on yourself. Being open to criticism is good, but don't dwell on it. Learn from your drawings and move on to your next one. In the end, all your efforts are a record of your own unique journey.

That's a fine animation, but you don't really need to animate the boobies at all. The forward bend is impressive enough (foreshortened view is tough to do).
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

If I dumped everything of mine that I thought wasn't "up to it" I'd have nothing left. So I keep it - and all I can say is "it was good enough at the time - I know I still have a lot of learning to do..."

Think back to the days when your pre-school artwork was on the fridge door... you and family were proud of it ... not because it was objectively perfect and on a par with the Masters.. but because YOU did it and it was step on the way to YOU developing your talent.

So if you don't like it - ask yourself WHAT don't you like - and be Specific and not just some blanket "it's frap" - but say it in a way that lets you decide what you need to do to change it to make it better --- for example "I don't like the squareness of the eye in the full-face shot where she's looking straight at you - the outline is wrong - but it works better in the 3/4 when she's looking up..." Then, if you don't want to meddle with the original then start again but don't repeat the thing you didn't like...
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

@sven - check your parental controls :D

@kellz - I feel the same way as everyone else here - it's normal, so instead of repeating everything let me make an observation. From reading your other threads and this one, I don't think you lack any talent - but you (and it's the hardest advice to take yourself - i suffer the same curse) skip all the sketching and planning and skip straight to freeform, expecting whatever you do to mirror your minds image, and it rarely rarely does.

Work on sketching, planning, have a really clear plan of what you want to animate, collect references for colour and style and draw draw draw. If you honed your drawing skills so that you can sketch out a plan faster and faster you'll get to animating but with a solid purpose. I often do the same as you, also when making music, i sit down with no idea and just start 'doing' - its fun for a while, then after an hour+ I get dissatisfied, then after several hours+ I start giving myself a headache (on the case of music) or just generally hate what I'm doing.

Don't be disheartened, break out the pen and paper. It's a lot easier to scrap a 30 second doodle than feeling disheartened with an unplanned result after 4 hours wasted.
kellz5460

Post by kellz5460 »

ruscular3d wrote:like, maybe more head can find a tip on making it better. Stan Lee suggest that! He says he write down what he doesn't like and also what he does like when he looks at other works of comics. Same could be said for animation.
hey thats a really good idear thanks- didn't think of that

thanks every1 for suggestions
OMG make it stop!
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

JCook said: "... You are your harshest critic, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, because it makes you constantly try to improve. You never stop learning."
I agree.
Cheers, Larry
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I also agree, but if self critique makes You doubt your work constantly, then You never come to peace with your sense of creativity or the feeling that You can do the job.

I put limits to What I want to achieve with any project, so I can get to the point where I feel the project is done, and that it is done properly, then I up the ante on the next one!
NeedyN00b

Post by NeedyN00b »

funksmaname wrote:@sven - check your parental controls :D

@kellz - I feel the same way as everyone else here - it's normal, so instead of repeating everything let me make an observation. From reading your other threads and this one, I don't think you lack any talent - but you (and it's the hardest advice to take yourself - i suffer the same curse) skip all the sketching and planning and skip straight to freeform, expecting whatever you do to mirror your minds image, and it rarely rarely does.

Work on sketching, planning, have a really clear plan of what you want to animate, collect references for colour and style and draw draw draw. If you honed your drawing skills so that you can sketch out a plan faster and faster you'll get to animating but with a solid purpose. I often do the same as you, also when making music, i sit down with no idea and just start 'doing' - its fun for a while, then after an hour+ I get dissatisfied, then after several hours+ I start giving myself a headache (on the case of music) or just generally hate what I'm doing.

Don't be disheartened, break out the pen and paper. It's a lot easier to scrap a 30 second doodle than feeling disheartened with an unplanned result after 4 hours wasted.
Thank you for this advice! Do you have any other tips to help increase productivity?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

NeedyN00b wrote:Thank you for this advice! Do you have any other tips to help increase productivity?
Drink allot of coffee! ;)