This masking issue was introduced in 8.0.1, so if it's giving you problems, I recommend just going back to the original version 8.0. I don't think it had any show-stopping bugs in it.
With regards to the 8.0 masking issue that you demonstrated in your YouTube video
, perhaps you can just get around it by organising your masks differently:
If there really are two masking issues that can't be solved simultaneously, hopefully they can give us an option to choose the behaviour that best matches the situation.
3 good points, i'm still trying to find a way to produce consistent results through my work, i have given-up on 8.0.1, as the masking issue is just way too obvious, i'm yet to experience any of the "bone setting" bugs or whatever from 8.0 so i'm sort of happy to be using 8.0 right now.
the major thing would be that if the masks don't behave as they should then i'm likely teaching myself a way of doing something that's going to be ruined by every other update that comes out for anime studio pro 8 too.
i can get around the issue in the first example by simply rearranging the structure of the layers and groups, that way a very simple example of aberration. the way i'm thinking about working now involves building 2 masks and 3 layers to be masked for each "limb", in this example the first mask is invisible, whilst the second subtracts from the first.
the first visible layer contains a base colour, the second contains a pattern and the third contains high and low lighting.
the difference can be seen more clearly if 2 groups are set up, one using a hidden mask (masking all the details in higher layers) and one that uses the "base colour" and its area as the mask. in the two examples (using the same size mask for each) you should notice that scaling them or simple just rendering them will produce an image where the two are significantly different in scale (becomes more obvious still when rendered at about 100 px.
the fix for this seems to be to make the mask slightly smaller than the area it will contain or having the "contained" area slightly larger, either way, when animating and or making slight differences to shape afterwards i find i would have to alter both shapes now.
part of a recent reply on this subject in which i asked if there could be a "legacy masks" option introduced to future updates:
"...It comes down to picking the lesser of two evils - which of these two masking bugs will cause the most problems for the most number of people? No matter which choice is made, some users will suffer, but ultimately there will hopefully be fewer people suffering if the bigger of the two bugs is the one that is fixed. The engineers have very tight deadlines, so my guess is that they wouldn't be able to devote time to purposefully reintroduce a bug that will cause a bigger masking problem for the majority of the users."
so it seems that 8.0.1 is a "fix" rather than a mistake:(
i suggest that moving a problem isn't the same as solving it.
i could easily reduced the amount of fatalities by motor-vehicle accidents to zero by re-classifying them from motor-vehicles to tents... problem solved overnight:) of course this has now been off-set by a huge increase in the amount of tent related fatalities
obviously this is a farcical example.
my biggest concern here is that the majority of users appear not to see this masking issue as a problem for them, i can't get my head around the "how" of it. i'd suggest that it's either because the majority use outlines or that the majority don't use version 8.0.1.
sorry if this post appears confused, quite a lot of the words required are failing me. i'll post another example in due time, this is taking longer than necessary as my head's getting beffudled so will have to be happy with string without achieving...
it's going to be a busy weekend... with all this thinking about stuff