Render time?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Maestral

Render time?

Post by Maestral »

I`m testing different render settings and comparing the results, but haven`t found a way to measure render time (like in some editing apps). Is there a way to do that in AS or if it is already there - where should I look for it?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

What I usually do is render to PNG or any other image format and look at the time stamps to see how long it takes to render say 24 fps.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Excellent idea, Gilles. Thanks.

It should be easy mathematics later on. Haven`t thought that way. Still, wouldn`t codecs take a part in rendering time?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

That depends on the codec, h-264 takes longer to compress then say QT animation codec, which is less compressed.

The time it takes to write to disk may play a bit as well, as in, if you render an uncompressed avi that can be several GB in size, writing time would normally be longer.

But, all in all, I use PNG, as it is fast to compress and usually small enough so the writing time does not play too much in your test!
Maestral

Re: Render time?

Post by Maestral »

Gilles,
this is a long shot but I just woke this thread, during some search, and would like to reply with Thank you, since I remember that your approach worked just fine.
GCharb

Re: Render time?

Post by GCharb »

Dang, We just got back in time, 4 years, almost to the day.

Glad I could help!