text seems lower res

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lovebiscuit

text seems lower res

Post by lovebiscuit »

Hi folks,

I'm animating in 1080p and happy with results.

However, I recently did some credits and found they were thinner than everything else, almost a lower res - despite none of my settings changing.

It appears that when you use the text function, the clarity you get is considerably less than when you draw etc.

Anyone else have this experience?

If there's no way to fix this, I'll have to create type myself, rather than typing in what I want...
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

...to me, it doesn't seem like creating your own lettering would cause any difference? Have you tried changing the "weight" (thickness) of the letters' outlines?

(I hadn't noticed any problems like you describe... I can test it out later today...)
lovebiscuit

Post by lovebiscuit »

well, the reason creating my own lettering might cause a difference is that it would be the same as creating any other line in my animation - all of which I am happy with it.

It's only when I use the text function the density fades a little.

Yes, I have adjusted the thickness to get it just the way I want.

But when rendered it just doesn't have the purity of the rest of the 1080p. The edges are slightly pixelated and it's just looks like a lower res.

If I draw a line myself, it's pure colour, but if I type words in large on the screen it's impure.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Text can only be as good as the font data it uses. Did you use any obscure font? Have you seen the same phenomenon with a system font, like Arial?
lovebiscuit

Post by lovebiscuit »

Arial is giving me same result, may have to make my own, thanks anyway
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

...I don't understand the difference between using the text creator, and creating your own, because they both look like and act like vector shapes to me?
lovebiscuit

Post by lovebiscuit »

in theory there is no difference
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Recently I used basic fonts, but just a few words which later were part of the scene, and even for that I vectorized them before import.

Must be something about render settings since I`ve noticed that low res look occurs no matter what type of font is used and it greatly depends of letters size. Also, thiner and serif fonts tend to low res look if to small.

p.s.
How does it looks in your preview, while the file is open? Are the letters also low res in the preview?
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Anime studio converts the fonts/text into shapes when you insert the text.

The only reason they could look poor would be the translation from font to shapes because once done they are just the same as everything else.

looks fine on mine. you could post your image and a sample file..
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

@SvenFoster

I was referring to that transformation. Some points were displaced, after turning into the shapes and I planed to use big letters. I found it easier to import vectorized than adjust it in AS.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

seems like a good solution to import the vectors.. I have to say I think the TEXT facilities of ASP are a bit of a token gesture.
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?