I made it my animation is picked up.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

madrobot

Post by madrobot »

I got spammed on twitter when my tweet had the word "animation" in it. Not by this guy but another similar deal, "We are looking for animation interns"...
Went to the website, they want a stable of slave animators to make music videos etc, for a pittance.
"Will look great on your portfolio" - that old chestnut

Sad and frustrating
If we went halves in a ute and dug holes for a living we'd be making real money. But then, what would we have to whinge about? :)
kellz5460

Post by kellz5460 »

excellent
OMG make it stop!
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

I'm leaping from my desk, flipping my shirt up over my head and sprinting down the busy street singing that horrible pop song with the vocoder guy singing "I made it, I made it..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95nVawDj ... ure=fvwrel
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

AmigaMan wrote:
well, I have slightly after reading GCharb's tutorial on Scripting but I will still stick to animation I think

GCharb wrote:
Only slightly, damn, will have to redo that tutorial then!

Post by madrobot »

Here's an example, an email I recieved an hour ago from a local digital labourers email list:

Hi

I have an unpaid animation job - I'm trying to find someone who can make a mutant creature blink.

Its for a shot in a short sci fi film which is released as a music video for a San Francisco band Deerhoof.

I'm thinking it would be cool if the creature blinked sideways like a crocodile.

I know this is a pretty involved request requiring a few steps like motion tracking (its a handheld shot), sculpting the actual eyelids, lighting and texturing, animating and a composite etc. The thing is, it is a completely no budget project so it would be a job for someone who would have fun on the shot. The best I could come up with would be a very token 100 bucks. The animation would work with what I already have in the shot which is a latex creature mask sculpted in LA by a young sculptor at Schell Studios.

Please email me for more info, the video and shot is online on vimeo and I can upload a 2k uncompressed version of the shot to work on.
________

What. The. F***.

Motion tracking
sculpting (3d modeling)
lighting
texturing
animation
comping

for a band's music video
$100

That is absolutely outrageous and offensive
The thing is I can't get my blood up, there'll be 2 more by dinner time. You have to pace yourself in your outrage...
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Madrobot. Try tweeting iPad or voucher lol

I used to get annoyed when I was self employed IT contractor(consultant for our US friends) when a mate of mine asked me the usual can you make me a website. Reluctantly I said yes for the journey. 40hrs of work later and he had his bespoke site with social aspect etc. Oh cheers he said.

Later that month I needed my flat roof inspecting on a small section at the back. The same mate was doing work for the building I'm in(which I put his way for the record) and had his ladders on the back anyway. He said he would take a look and swept it down.

Then he gave me a bill for £20

Now, I hold his profession in high regard but he made the mistake of placing mine in Low regard.

I wrote him a bill at my Client rate @ just shy of £3500 for the week.

He said that he had a living to make. Hmmm we disagreed on what constitutes as work and I paid him the £20 and we are still friends lol.

But. But. But. If I do someone a favour I expect something in return.

Working for free on animation or anything must be for the right reason and great on your portfolio only works for me if it's Disney and I get a royalty. Working with great people that I may learn something from is a good reason.

Of course I don't have that dilemma as animation is just fun to me. Something that I've enjoyed from the womb and strive to master.

Why Did I type this. Erhmm can't remember oh yes spammer suck and don't work for free unless you really want to
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Since all of us will be in that situation again, I recommend to prepare a small text about correct rates for animation. I've been to some business parties recently and was asked for estimates right on the spot, so I developed a little routine like this:

"You can get 2 minutes of animation for about 6.000 € from me. This is just an estimate without knowing your special needs. It can be more expensive, especially with lots of detail, inclusion of 3D or live action footage, or because of using a certain style. Or it can be cheaper, when the style can be done fast, and especially when there are no changes asked for by the client. Roughly you may calculate a month's salary for a month of work, for each team member involved. Meeting tight deadlines needs more people, so the price gets higher."

I think this says all in a nutshell. You may use it, and adjust it to your local rates - and don't get cheap!
toxicink

Post by toxicink »

AmigaMan wrote:Toxicink I congratulate you if you really have got a deal with Cartoon Network Uk as I love to hear an animation success story. Please let us know how you go on.

The AnimationTaxi site I'm not so sure about. I hope I'm wrong but it just doesn't ring true to me. For something so important the site is amateurish with poor spelling and grammar. If they have a "team of professionals' then how come the animation on the site is so bad. Lazy too as atleast one of the character's appears to be a stock Anime Studio character that comes supplied with the software? I dunno, it just doesn't look right to me. Why aren't those behind the site proud to name themselves if they are so successful in the business?

It just seems very odd. Is it just me? :D

I spoke with the CEO of Animation Taxi and they got rid of there domiane master, thats why you saw all those typos its alot better since thay got a new domaine master . and I allready singed the contract and my animation will be in there next season..

so every thing you said was nice advice but totaly wrong , you should be a member and find ous fro your self
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I spoke with the CEO of Animation Taxi and they got rid of there domiane master, thats why you saw all those typos its alot better since thay got a new domaine master . and I allready singed the contract and my animation will be in there next season..

so every thing you said was nice advice but totaly wrong , you should be a member and find ous fro your self
Who is the CEO btw? I won't be joining AnimationTaxi. I can pitch to Cartoon Network for myself. I look forward to seeing your series next season :D
toxicink

Post by toxicink »

AmigaMan wrote:

Who is the CEO btw? I won't be joining AnimationTaxi. I can pitch to Cartoon Network for myself. I look forward to seeing your series next season :D
i bet u will join. and really? thank you.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

toxicink wrote:I allready singed the contract and my animation will be in there next season
So is this for a short film or a full series?
toxicink

Post by toxicink »

this is a full 22 min animation just one 22 min animation for each show.

they will make each show them self, the network as there own animation company some where in china.

but my friends that dose most of the voices will still be doing the voices and I will be staying here in the United States, but we will be going to London some time this November for business.

my friend that dose the voices will relocate to London I cant cose I have kids. and the money is not enough for me to up ground my family just like that, but if the animation make me enough Euros, my family and I will be moving to London.

its just one 22 min episode per show full series here is a link if you like to see it, its called "The chronicles of Heather and her Monster"
i have been pitching it for a while and thanks to animation Taxi I have finaly made it. and Animation Taxi will only be my distribution company I own all the copyrights
YAY!

http://www.animationtaxi.com/heather.htm
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

I think there is something wrong with my Calendar ... it doesn't appear to be displaying the first of April.

If this is the actual episode which CN based its contract on then I really question why my series (written by 3 professional writers and illustrated by an animation director of 20 years), was turned down. I mean, together we have made between us some 60 film series. I guess we failed because we didn't apply though Animation Taxi.

Now call me a disbeliever if you wish, but as a moderator, I am seriously tempted to move the entire thread to the Spam Bucket as its clearly Spam, a blatant advert by Animation Taxi to promote itself.

For those who might consider me to be too negative, may I finish on a positive note: This episode is wholly consistent with their website ... amateurish in the extreme.

Cartoon Network wouldn't touch this nonsense with a bargepole.

Rhoel
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I have not replied to this thread, besides the joke to Amigaman because I also felt this was spam, so you are not alone!

I do not believe the story one bit either, but then again, what do I know!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Here you go. I just made my version:

Animation Dump Truck.
Everyone who post will I send off to the Cartoozoo net work.

http://animation-dump-truck.forumotion.com/

Dale