Help Shape the Future of Anime Studio

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Asterix

Re: Help Shape the Future of Anime Studio

Post by Asterix »

Cool.
jezjones29 wrote:I had this posted in another thread but just wanted to add my voice here :D

1. Exposed Handles
2. Perspective tool - useful when creating backgrounds etc.
3. Guide Lines - which can be turned on and off and moved with ease
4. Rulers
5. Text Layer - text placed on this layer can be re-edited quickly, the insert text box that AS8 has now would be part of the Layer settings, so fonts can be changed quickly from a tab and all the fonts in that layer would be updated.

6. Another feature that would be good would be the ability to align layers, objects or even points.

I would also like to see some improvements made to the styles.
7. I think we should be able to share styles between projects - i.e styles could be stored in a shared library. So that my skin,hair etc style can be the same in all projects
8. There should be a way to create a style for just line widths as a style - not effecting line colour.
9. The drop down menu for saved styles doesn't work with big projects, there is no order and becomes difficult if there are lots of styles.
10. 3D objects should have styles too
11. We should be able to add more than just 2 effects and 2 styles to each object.

Other things I would like to see:
12. It looks like MotionArtist will be able to output to HTML5 so it would be good if Anime Studio could too.
13. Rotoscoping and stop motion abilities
14. Better motion blur
15. Ability to save work space layouts, panels + cameras - I like to have a top down, side and front view, but setting this up each time is a real pain.
16. Ability to set light source in 3D scenes
17. Ability to clone objects - so that If I create one cloud and clone it, then make a change to one of the clouds, then all other clouds will be updated too.
18. Absolute locked bone - so that a locked bone can't move (I know there is a script for this)
19. Better drawing tools - like those in Flash
ASP 7.1
jezjones29

Post by jezjones29 »

Motion Graph
I think it would be handy if we could quickly identify the different points on the graph.
In this example each option has a colour and if you hover over a point it will show a tool tip.

Asterix

Post by Asterix »

Width tool should have lasso mode and the capability the select point toll have.
When point and roll mouse it should zoom in-out towant where we point.
To be able to zoom the render (ctrl+R)
ASP 7.1
heiseman

Post by heiseman »

Please switch to bezier drawing tools! I'm sure this will improve illustrator imports. Bezier drawing tools also offer so much more precise control over object shapes with fewer points.

And I've said this before and I'll say it again...

proper easing in/out between keyframes. I hate the smoothing effect it always does on each end of the in-between animation. We need editable velocity curves for the best control.

The motion blur is also in desperate need of improving. It is more of a ghost trail than a motion blur. I don't know what is so difficult about doing a proper motion blur.

I'd also like to see more stroke and fill styles to give that hand-crafted effect. Also more customisation for this as well.

I also find masking in ASP very confusing. There's a pretty steep learning curve to understanding what should be a pretty simple practise.

And from memory, there was a conflict with switch or group layers inside bones? It would be good if everything you'd expect to work just worked.
syapa

Post by syapa »

If onion skins worked with images that would be great
Last edited by syapa on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

If onion skins worked with images that would be great
it does in AS9 :)
onurdemirsoy

Post by onurdemirsoy »

Here is my list.

1- Editable text layers
2- Objects should keep their shape when we delete an edge
3- Real motion blur
4- Vignette lens effect
5- Tilt shift lens effect
6- Better 3D (with lights and dinamic shadow)
7- Bezier curve editing (but without losing point animation capabilities)
8- Solved line width issue :) (I explained it here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22799&start=60#p127013 )
9- Smart objects (For example we should have an option to duplicate and object. Change one of them and whole should change, like Photoshop smart objects)
10- Real time vector drawing (Like Flash. We cant see the width of the line while drawing. It comes to screen after we ll finish it.)
11- Changing the position of the object with arrow keys
12- Align tools
13- If I add a cycle to 2 keyframes, I would like to double click to it and see the latest value i added to it. And able to re edit it.
14- This button should added. Really very useful http://rylanderanimation.se/2008/10/01/ ... o-frame-0/ Also a keystroke to use it easily.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

onurdemirsoy wrote: 1- Editable text layers
11- Changing the position of the object with arrow keys
14- This button should added. Really very useful http://rylanderanimation.se/2008/10/01/ ... o-frame-0/ Also a keystroke to use it easily.
This are already on AS9. There's a new kind of layer for text. You can change the position of points or layers with control+arrows, it's a very old feature. The two way ticket to frame zero is called "Design mode", and you can call it with ctrl+shift+d (or in the menu View>Design Mode).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
chucky

Post by chucky »

Some of these features already exist or are achievable with a little improvisation.

:arrow: There are a lot more text features in V9 , which was released today. Check it out some really awesome stuff there.
:arrow: Delete an edge? Could you be more specific ?
:arrow: Motion Blur yup , that would be nice.
:arrow: Vignette you can do that easily with shapes, set the layer to ignore camera movements.
:arrow: Tilt shift, I've done that plenty ( sometimes better in post ) you can use the depth of field or copy the layers in a group and blur+ mask ( for this you will need that duplicated layer -that you call 'smart object'- stupid name that :P )
:arrow: Smart object - or whatever there's a script that does that, have a look for it.
:arrow: Vector drawing , you just need to change the setting ( I agree the drawing tools could be sexier but what you want exists ) . You can do that and save the tool script with that setting - have a look into it. What you do is un-check auto-fill and auto-weld, I also un-check the paths the display quality. That will give you what you are after, have a look for other freehand scripts too but remember those settings for a 'better' drawing experience.
The others .... not so much, I hope you get them or a script that does the job.

EDIT: ctrl arrow ...you say Selgin? Hey whaddya know? You learn something new every day!
onurdemirsoy

Post by onurdemirsoy »

chucky wrote:Some of these features already exist or are achievable with a little improvisation.

:arrow: There are a lot more text features in V9 , which was released today. Check it out some really awesome stuff there.
:arrow: Delete an edge? Could you be more specific ?
:arrow: Motion Blur yup , that would be nice.
:arrow: Vignette you can do that easily with shapes, set the layer to ignore camera movements.
:arrow: Tilt shift, I've done that plenty ( sometimes better in post ) you can use the depth of field or copy the layers in a group and blur+ mask ( for this you will need that duplicated layer -that you call 'smart object'- stupid name that :P )
:arrow: Smart object - or whatever there's a script that does that, have a look for it.
:arrow: Vector drawing , you just need to change the setting ( I agree the drawing tools could be sexier but what you want exists ) . You can do that and save the tool script with that setting - have a look into it. What you do is un-check auto-fill and auto-weld, I also un-check the paths the display quality. That will give you what you are after, have a look for other freehand scripts too but remember those settings for a 'better' drawing experience.
The others .... not so much, I hope you get them or a script that does the job.

EDIT: ctrl arrow ...you say Selgin? Hey whaddya know? You learn something new every day!

Thanks so much Selgin and Chucky.

I was talking about re editable, vector text layer. Still a need for me.

Btw I make an example to show what should be the correct way of deleting edges. At least for me. I wish it will be possible in the near future.

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

onurdemirsoy wrote:
chucky wrote:I was talking about re editable, vector text layer. Still a need for me.
Btw I make an example to show what should be the correct way of deleting edges. At least for me. I wish it will be possible in the near future.
The new text layer allow you to edit the text anytime you want.
About the shape example, I think it's not exactly a limitation of the software or a kind of enhancement. It has to do with the logic of the curvature in AS.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
onurdemirsoy

Post by onurdemirsoy »

Thanks selgin. Wow I just tried and understand the new text layer and it is really awesome. :)

About curves, maybe bezier curves are really needed for Anime Studio because of this.

selgin wrote:
onurdemirsoy wrote:
chucky wrote:I was talking about re editable, vector text layer. Still a need for me.
The new text layer allow you to edit the text anytime you want.
About the shape example, I think it's not exactly a limitation of the software or a kind of enhancement. It has to do with the logic of the curvature in AS.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

onurdemirsoy wrote:Thanks selgin. Wow I just tried and understand the new text layer and it is really awesome. :)
About curves, maybe bezier curves are really needed for Anime Studio because of this.
You are welcome :)
About beziers, I don't think this be the solution. It's more about understanding how the AS curves works and in which way you can get the shapes you want.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
onurdemirsoy

Post by onurdemirsoy »

I can use AS curves and create whatever i want but not always perfect circles at the edge of the shapes. It is impossible to merge 2 shapes in AS. We have to draw all shapes point by point. Well I think I can live with it if they ll never change it :)

selgin wrote:
onurdemirsoy wrote:Thanks selgin. Wow I just tried and understand the new text layer and it is really awesome. :)
You are welcome :)
About beziers, I don't think this be the solution. It's more about understanding how the AS curves works and in which way you can get the shapes you want.
chucky

Post by chucky »

It looks like I was misquoted above, never mind.
Yes I do agree with you about the oddities of the curves in AS, I don't think it's a misunderstanding, I know your frustration.
Sometimes you get wiggles in the shape that are also a chore to control.
What you can do.... is split the curve with the split script and delete the shape fill using the x tool , reshape by intersecting the shape with a line through one of the curves added points from the split you did. yawn, Then once the shape is right select the shape and use the reduce points script then fill he shape but keep the invisible points that make the shape correct.

Yeah not the best way of working. Just do as quick as you can and try and forget it happened, walk it off. :lol: