Help Shape the Future of Anime Studio

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Help Shape the Future of Anime Studio

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, yes, that would be a very useful feature.

I mentioned this elsewhere but I'm not sure if I said it here:

The Overwrite Files option in the Batch Export window hasn't worked in 9.5, 10 or 11. (It may have been broken in earlier releases but I didn't seriously start using ASP until 9.5). This particular bug has been super annoying because I keep expecting the 'overwritten' files to appear in my Fusion or AE comps after rendering but ASP keeps writing the revised frames to incremented directories regardless of the setting. This can lead to a lot of wasted time copying and moving files manually, and may even lead to costly mistakes.

And if you're working with a larger crew, assuming Overwrite Files is working correctly is asking for big trouble.

I would really love to see this fixed as soon as possible. Thanks! :)

G.
braj

Post by braj »

It would be cool if there were some option to have a folder content's keyframes displayed at the folder level, on a per-folder basis. Like a 'consolidate this folder's timeline channels' checkbox in the Layer Settings.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'd like to be able to scroll past zero. It's annoying that I can't see past zero when I know there are keyframes hidden there that may be messing up something I'm working on.

Most 2D and 3D animation and compositing programs I use allow me to scroll past zero. I know the reasoning for the 'lock' in ASP is because frame zero is reserved for setup, but this is generally true for other programs I work in and I can still look past zero in those programs when I need to.

I think if it's going to be possible to move keys past zero in ASP then the user should be allowed to look there for them. Maybe this could be an 'advanced' option in preferences?

Thanks for listening.

G.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:I'd like to be able to scroll past zero. It's annoying that I can't see past zero when I know there are keyframes hidden there that may be messing up something I'm working on.

Most 2D and 3D animation and compositing programs I use allow me to scroll past zero. I know the reasoning for the 'lock' in ASP is because frame zero is reserved for setup, but this is generally true for other programs I work in and I can still look past zero in those programs when I need to.

I think if it's going to be possible to move keys past zero in ASP then the user should be allowed to look there for them. Maybe this could be an 'advanced' option in preferences?
Totally agree. It's annoying to have to check negative frames using the sequencer.
ketchup

Post by ketchup »

Several very simple things that would speed up workflow.

1. 'Brush' over icons to turn them on and off. For example, currently the Layers 'eye' icons need to be clicked to turn them on and off. Although hot keys exist to invert selections, I find the Photoshop style of brushing or rubbing over icons to be more efficient.

2a. The layers panel has a lot of empty space in the icons area . Adding (programmable?) icons for commonly used features would really speed up workflow. For example, adding icons for vector layers, bones, switch layers at the top, so the extra clicking down the tree would not be needed, for me personally would be very efficient addition.

2b. Either a tear off panel or large buttons in unused border space of main interface for commonly used tasks like undo ( back arrow button), clear button, etc. Over time, these simple steps add up to a lot of waste. Quick command keyboard shortcuts are not necessarily more efficient, especially on tablets.

3. Right click the # field within the Color Picker so code can be copied for pasting.

4. Auto name selected bone when creating actions. If I am creating a action, it is usually based on the bone I have currently active. This forces me into one of 2 options, either manually typing the name for the action or cancelling the action and copying the bones name from active item window and pasting into action. Both steps seems sort of time wasteful, when the bone is already selected. If I have it selected, then click action and the name is auto filled in new action window. Bam.

5.In Keyframer - zoom to selected points and middle mouse zoom in/out.
5b) Either a Right click 'copy' for copying keyframes or a 'cntrl', click, drag to duplicate keyframe.

6. Allow 'layer selector tool' to also select bones. Maybe toggle between top of hierarchy and sub structure bones. This would be quicker than scrolling to top of bone hierarchies between characters.
Last edited by ketchup on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
neon22

Post by neon22 »

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

neon22 wrote:anyone seen this yet ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1_Cug ... e=youtu.be
That's interesting, but I'm not sure how complicated it may get to animate. What I would like to see is for AS to just add object faces, which could accomplish much the same thing. Right now we require multiple closed fills to create something like that flapping bird wing. If we could define a face across the entire wing, that crosses one or more vector lines (defining where the wing folds in the middle), then we could have a continuous fill effect across what would now be multiple fill shapes.

1. Plain face simulated in AS
2. Actual construction of that simulated face in AS
3. Actual fill effect applied to actual construction in AS
4. Fill effect across whole face simulated in AS

Since AS11 added animated shape ordering, number 4 is possible in AS, but I would like to see this done by defining multiple connected closed vectors for a single shape, perhaps with a means to define front and back by when the shape would normally overlap itself in AS.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Not sure if its been asked before, but groups for actions would be great, would greatly help with organisation, especially for smartbones, as in, smartbones for the head, the body, so on and so forth.

Thanks.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Yea!!! Buttons are increased for tablets in 11.1!!!
Thanks to the development team :)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27606&p=158704#p158704
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

In my opinion, the most needed improvements are:

1. Global 3d Space -- All layers exists in a single 3d space.

2. Mesh Layers -- Similar to the program "Spine" there should be mesh layers that we can animate.

3. Sketch Layers -- Being able to create a raster sketch in the program is extremely useful for character design and warping. This idea could be combined with the mesh layer so that the user can create meshes and then draw textures on them.

4. Layer Independent Bones -- Similar to Blender/Maya, bones and all layers would exist in a single 3d space.
gordonnapier

Post by gordonnapier »

Something like this would be great. Complex images for frame by frame can be created very quickly.

http://mrdoob.com/projects/harmony/#sketchy
linda0012

Post by linda0012 »

Looks like this thread is only for the professionals where the people who are still not so professional can contribute.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

linda0012 wrote:Looks like this thread is only for the professionals where the people who are still not so professional can contribute.
If you have any idea, just tell it.
This thread is for users. Any idea which could make the software more powerful or easier to use is welcomed :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I'm sure I've asked about this before, but the ability to import .bvh 3D action files to automate various actions would be very useful. I've seen some examples of this in the inappropriately-named Awesome Animator - (scroll down the page to see the dancing horse), and I think in AS this could be combined with the Character Designer to good effect.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
chucky

Post by chucky »

jahnocli wrote:I'm sure I've asked about this before, but the ability to import .bvh 3D action files to automate various actions would be very useful. I've seen some examples of this in the inappropriately-named Awesome Animator - (scroll down the page to see the dancing horse), and I think in AS this could be combined with the Character Designer to good effect.
Couldn't agree more, what would be even better is a direct link with Kinect