How do I write a story?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

shoepie

How do I write a story?

Post by shoepie »

Just thought I'd ask if you guys have any tips on story writing. Both for either a short 5 minute film, or perhaps for longer story arcs. e.g. a web series.

I make sketches, but they aren't really stories. And that's what I want to do.

I've read several books on the subject over the years and I think that's now become a problem for me. Because I'm ultra-critical of every idea I have and give up. Or the idea seems stupid and obvious where it's going. Or there's no theme, or the characters aren't original...

I'm apparently really good at finding faults!! But I don't want to be a critic! :)
ShoePie.co.uk - My animations.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

What I do is that I start with the basic story, only a line or two, then I thinker it for sometimes.

Then I develop it in the shortest amount of time possible, 3-5 pages, then I leave it be for a week or two.

Then i structure it, there are several ways to do that, then I do the card thing, helps me envision the story.

Then I write my first draw, leave it be for couples of weeks, then the second draw, then leave it be again, then I polish in a third draw.

Everyone is different and we all tend to criticize our work, which is why I let it be for sometimes, not to make irrational decisions, like throwing it in the garbage! :)

Otherwise you get nothing done!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I like to have a good idea of the ending first -- I think it helps if you know where you are heading...

...and I found this a useful description of approach to writing techniques:
Writing flash fiction using bubblediagrams
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

jahnocli wrote:I like to have a good idea of the ending first -- I think it helps if you know where you are heading...

...and I found this a useful description of approach to writing techniques:
Yeah, my basic story usually includes the ending, because, without it, where would you know where to go! :)

If you can summon your story in a phrase or two, then you have the basics of writing, at least this is how I do it!

Thanks for the link jahnocli, looks interesting!
Danimal

Re: How do I write a story?

Post by Danimal »

shoepie wrote:or the characters aren't original...
Very few are. But at least make them likeable. If there's one common theme I see over and over it's a set of loathesome, shallow cretins that make me want to retch rather than see where the story is going.

Granted, stupid and foolish characters can make for great comedy but make them somehow likeable. And give the people around them a reason for being around them. When people voluntarily hang around an oaf, they too become oafs.

As for writing stories, here's how to do it: first off, throw any books you have on the subject into a furnace. Writing is a creative art and anyone who claims to "teach" it is a fraud who's selling a cookie cutter designed to churn out garbage while bilking you out of your money. Second, write. Anything. And often. Hone the skill and get better at it. There's probably a reason you find fault with your ideas, but write them anyway and see where the fault lies. Then work on that. No one can tell you how to work on that, because it's your idea and your writing.
~Danimal
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Dude their ant nothing original. Steal your ideas from others and combine them into something new. You have to like the ideas your take. Kind of like music, the same four cords make 100 different songs. But 100 different artiest like those four cords and made them their own.

Dale
shoepie

Post by shoepie »

Thanks for the advice all, I'm going to try and work on it for a few more hours this afternoon. I'll start with the ending first, I usually start with the set-up so that's something new to try.
jahnocli wrote: ...and I found this a useful description of approach to writing techniques:
Looks interesting too, thanks, will give it a go.
GCharb wrote:... which is why I let it be for sometimes, not to make irrational decisions, like throwing it in the garbage! :)

Otherwise you get nothing done!
Hehe, good point! :oops:
Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

The King of Hearts ("Alice's Adventures In Wonderland") said, "Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop." :)
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Put pen to paper.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

all stories have a beginning, a middle and an end. but you can start the creative process at any point as long as you have the germ of an idea.

I try to make sure everything hangs together logically and chronologically - but I don't include everything in the finished cut; and sometimes I decide not to reveal things in chronological or logical order; or I disguise the "truth"; or ...

I work similarly to Gilles - once I've started I leave the idea to stew for a few days. sometimes it stays "left".

I have a folder full of "ideas that I'll maybe develop one day..." some just a one-line concept, others that are in varying stages of development.

If you're stuck for the germ of an idea that's a different challenge.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Look at everyday events around you, ideas come from anything. I was on a train from Bangkok back to Chiang Mai when I saw some guys flying model power-chutes ... by the time I had arrived home, I had the full story written; Our series had a boy with a typical character flaw, his ambitions greatly exceeded his abilities. Over the series, he accidentally developed a catchphrase of "what could possibly go wrong?" ... well with this character, just about anything and everything. So giving him a model power-chute (a powered parachute) drove the story forward ... basically the "What could possibly go wrong". And it was great fun to write too.

All stories have conflict, ie a problems or obstacles which prevent your character getting what they want. Usually three levels work best. So in the above story, we give the kid a toy he can't control = first level of conflict, its a problem. What happens when it gets out of control = second level of conflict. In this story, he accidentally swoops aloft one of the smaller characters and he loses both out of radio range = third level of conflict. The rest of the film is the adventure and resolution to the mess he created.

Life has always supplied some of the best story lines and gags for soap opera, comedy and come to it, features: Just look and listen, carry a notebook and jot down the stupid, ridiculous and often they will potpourri into something interesting.

Rhoel
shoepie

Post by shoepie »

Thanks for all the advice, it's been very helpful reading through these comments.

Unfortunately I'm no closer to writing a story but that's been more of a time thing lately. Tonight's plan, de-clutter my workspace, find some paper and pens, de-Flea the Cat and then try again!