First tutorial on my blog take 2

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

First tutorial on my blog take 2

Post by GCharb »

Hello everyone.

I made a second version of my tutorial on the basics of masking in ASP.

I am doing this to better my process of making tutorials.

This one has my voice on it, so I would like comments and appreciation of that aspect of the tutorial.

I am using animations made in ASP to make things as clear as possible, comments or suggestions on these are more then welcome.

Again, comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.

http://gcharb2d.blogspot.com

Thanks for your time.
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Hey Gilles, your voice is perfectly understandable with only a slight accent, so I think you should go with it. One thing I noticed is when you clicked on the add to mask option, you also checked the exclude stroke option without explaining how or why you should have this option on. The most daunting thing about masks to a beginner is the multiple options available, so it can be confusing for some. Also, you should mention you're using AS6 for the tutorial, masking works slightly differently in 7&8 (the hide all/reveal all option in the group layer has to be checked first, I just checked all 3 versions with your method, and unless I'm missing something, I couldn't use your steps "as is" in 7 and 8 ).
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

jonbo wrote:Hey Gilles, your voice is perfectly understandable with only a slight accent, so I think you should go with it. One thing I noticed is when you clicked on the add to mask option, you also checked the exclude stroke option without explaining how or why you should have this option on. The most daunting thing about masks to a beginner is the multiple options available, so it can be confusing for some. Also, you should mention you're using AS6 for the tutorial, masking works slightly differently in 7&8 (the hide all/reveal all option in the group layer has to be checked first, I just checked all 3 versions with your method, and unless I'm missing something, I couldn't use your steps "as is" in 7 and 8 ).
Tell me you been smokin! ;)

Started to learn English around 22, have not spoken it in 20 years, even I find I have a huge accent, but thanks for saying that! :)

You are right about the exclude stroke, which I should not even have checked, just an habit I have.

Say you build an eye with a circle, you have a nice contour line on you eyeball.

You want to use a mask to make the pupil only show inside the white of the eyeball but you want the stroke be left out of the mask, then you check Exclude stroke.

jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Haven't smoked in awhlie :cry: but when I think of a huge accent I think of something like Peter Seller's Inspector Clueso character or Pepe Le'Pew. You should use whatever you feel comfortable with, even the creepy Steven Hawkins voice. I know what you mean about the exclude stroke being a habit, I do that too.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Sounded like Inspector Clouseau to me. :D

I would have to say I like your voice better that the robot one but it really makes no difference. If it takes to much time to voice it then I say stick with the robot but if you have no problem voicing it in a timely manner then go with your own voice.

I personally, am a very bad speaker. You, selgin, and Parker all actually speak better English than I do.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

sbtamu wrote:Sounded like Inspector Clouseau to me. :D
The Peter Sellers Clouseau right, not the one by Steve Martin, because that one is plain awefull! :)

My voice it is then, besides, I suppose I can only get better at it! :)

The recording is too loud, will have to play with that, thanks a bunch!
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

GCharb wrote:
The Peter Sellers Clouseau right, not the one by Steve Martin, because that one is plain awefull! :)

The cartoon, Pat Harrington, Jr. voice.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

sbtamu wrote:
GCharb wrote:

The cartoon, Pat Harrington, Jr. voice.
Ahhh, even better! :)

Next tutorial will be a rigging one, capricorn ik/fk script, then a walk cycle tut, better then those I made before!
j5buzvik

Post by j5buzvik »

Hey Gilles, your tutorial is excellent!!

I really mean it, your voice is great, I understood it very well.
Your ability to explain this program is very methodical and to
the point.

I can't wait to see more of your tutorials!
Last edited by j5buzvik on Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Thanks j5buzvik.

Glad to see it is not as bad as I thought it would be, would have saved me days of looking and working with computer voices, still, that british girl voice I am glad I found, she reads my emails and stuff now, never been so anxious about getting emails! :)

I am starting on new tutorials first thing in the morning!

Thanks again for the comments!
Riziam

Post by Riziam »

your blend morph head turn is great. When are you doing that tutorial? I want front row seats!
paulcopeland

Post by paulcopeland »

Hey Gilles.

Your masking tutorial is great and very easy to follow.

thank you for spending so much time presenting an easily understandable tutorial on a very complex subject.

Best wishes and I look forward to seeing the next tutorial.

Paul.
Get my free piano sheet music here http://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/pianoedition
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Thanks Paul, was actually fun to make, working on new ones today.

Riziam, will do one eventually, not on my to do now list.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

GCharb,

Thanks for the tutorial. I liked the second one better. It was simple and showed the mask order using the layers window which made it more clear than using the images laying down flat.

uddhava
barryem

Post by barryem »

I have to agree that I got more out of the second one although I think both were good. The diagram helped. Of course the second one was a second time through the topic and that helped, too.

The computer generated voice wasn't bad but I prefer your voice.

Thanks for this and I'll be looking forward to more of them.

Barry