Poll: Upgrade (YES/NO) Anime Studio Pro 8 ?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Poll: Upgrade (YES/NO/MAYBE) Anime Studio Pro 8 ?

1. Plan to upgrade to version 8 ?
9%
2. Have already upgraded to version 8 and I am keeping it?
63%
3. Have already upgraded to version 8 and I will be asking for a refund?
3%
4. Will Not upgrade to version 8?
9%
5. Will upgrade with a release of an 8.1 version with improvements?
9%
6. Will wait to see what version 9 offers
9%

Total votes: 35
digitalartguru

Poll: Upgrade (YES/NO) Anime Studio Pro 8 ?

Post by digitalartguru »

New Poll:

How many people:
1. Plan to upgrade to version 8 ?
2. Have already upgraded to version 8 and I am keeping it?
3. Have already upgraded to version 8 and I will be asking for a refund?
4. Will Not upgrade to version 8?
5. Will upgrade with a release of an 8.1 version with improvements?
6. Will wait to see what version 9 offers
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

7) Upgraded, keeping it, but very disappointed.

The new features suck, it's like they have no clue on what is needed.

Global rendering styles are not adjustable.

Tracing dose outlines of a line, not the line its self. Makes for tons of points and a useless trace.

For the 100 buck upgrade, I could have bought tracing software that works. Would have been happier.

Dale
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

Updated and keeping it.

I like the smaller stuff added, Round caps, Transparency in gradients, new script features, Import of layered Photoshop files, Being able to change group types (group to bone, bone to switch etc), switching between smooth and sharp corners using CTRL, and the shape select tool.

I have no use for the flashier new features like character wizard, render styles and tracing.
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

Updated and keeping it. Although I'm also very disappointed of the tracing tool and annoyed by useless stuff like the Character wizzard, there are little improvements that makeASP8 easier to handle, so...
Manu

Post by Manu »

Upgraded from 5.6. By now, enough little enhancements have crept in that it's worth it for me. Mainly in the drawing tools and of course the rounded caps.
barryem

Post by barryem »

I upgraded it and I'm keeping it. I'm not as excited about the new features that I've tried so far as I thought I might be but I'm not really disappointed either. There's enough new stuff that I'm sure I'll use that I feel good about upgrading. And I'm sure there's more I don't know about yet.

I guess I have to agree that SM seems to be adding new features more than they're improving old ones but they're doing some of both. Obviously a lot of people in these forums would have made different choices and so might I have, but they're still good guys.

I used to like to play with Truespace and I remember all the huge improvements that came with even minor updates. I think what we're talking about here is the difference in good developers and great developers. And the difference in a company that's run by developers and one that's run by marketing people. Fortunately they don't seem to be evil marketing people. Just marketing people. :)

Barry
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Upgraded, but I dislike the character wizard and some of the flashy stuff.

I am keeping it because of the little workflow improvements, the fact that embedded scripts work with multi core render, the new layer selection, to be ask for a name at the creation of a new layer etc.

Also, it looks like communication is back between the community and the developer(s).
j5buzvik

Post by j5buzvik »

I upgraded but really do not like or use the Character Wizard, and the auto trace. I mainly upgraded to help suport Anime Studio. the last two up grades were not very good and I am slowly looking for other software.
I do like round caps, transparancy in grandients. I also like the fact that the Anime Studio team is working with the folks. At least it feels like that.
Only time will tell.
digitalartguru

Post by digitalartguru »

It seems that the majority of the people that upgraded and decided to keep it are not 100% satisfied. I feel the same way.

I hope the developers don't take this as a sign that it's OK to produce incomplete or lower quality software and that we will still pay for it. I hope they are listening closely and do take our concerns seriously.

I do feel that the communication with the developer will continue to improve and hopefully we will get to be part of making AM the best software it can be for everyone.

I am still going to request a refund for my upgrade. If I am not 100% happy, I don't see the point in keeping it. Yes, I do like some minor improvements, but they don't equal the cost. I would consider buying again if an 8.1 update has more improvements.

If I do change my mind within the next few days ( before my 30 days are up ) it would be because of my desire to continue to support the AS software. But if I do this, and AS doesn't improve, this will be the last time I pay a full upgrade price for software that I am not 100% satisfied with.

I do want AS to be better and do well in the future. But this can only happen if we all ( including the developers ) work together to make it happen and keep AS alive and funded for years to come.

Let's hope for the best. I am here to support the developers 1000% if they are willing to listen to our concerns and make an effort to improve the software ( including things that have been overlooked from version to version ).

tonyg

Post by tonyg »

I upgraded from AS 5.6 which I was very happy with and now *also* have AS 8 which I'm finding interesting.
BUT you do get to keep both levels.
For those people beyond hobbyist levels isn't it a case that you produce in the release you're happy with and use the later levels to test the features and any workflow changes?
I'd like to understand whether people using software for Animation have the same approach as those using it in other areas : programming, music, art etc