Has anybody actually made anime/manga with anime studio?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Riziam

Has anybody actually made anime/manga with anime studio?

Post by Riziam »

Hello, this is my first day registered on the forum. I registered to get help on this problem i had with asp8. It got resolved. I wanted to know if anyone uses the software to create anime/manga like bleach? Of course its not going to be like a professional anime but has anyone came close? I would also like a link to it on youtube if you can. Thanks or anyone who replys
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Look for Parker's works. He did a lot on that style.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Riziam

Post by Riziam »

ummm i dont think so. Ive seen his work on youtube and it looks more like family guy than bleach. His series, warrior scar is similar but im looking for something almost identical to anime and manga. Am I way over my head on the capabilities of asp or are there people actually making this happen? Ive been doing decent anime/manga stuff on asp and im a beginner, so i thought, what are experienced artists doing with this software??
Rudiger

Re: Has anybody actually made anime/manga with anime studio?

Post by Rudiger »

Riziam wrote:Hello, this is my first day registered on the forum. I registered to get help on this problem i had with asp8. It got resolved. I wanted to know if anyone uses the software to create anime/manga like bleach? Of course its not going to be like a professional anime but has anyone came close? I would also like a link to it on youtube if you can. Thanks or anyone who replys
I would say that it's rare, as true anime is based on frame by frame animation, which isn't what Anime Studio is intended for. However, check out some of WolfSmoke's videos on YouTube, especially this one:
Original Short Animation Mountain Shu

It seems they have developed a technique where they create the keyframes using traditional pencil and paper technqiues, then they use a program like Anime Studio to do the painting and inbetweening. I say a "program like Anime Studio" as I can't guarantee they used it in the above video, but they did use it in this video:
Kung Fu Cooking Girls Original animation movie
so I think it's quite likely.

Also, long time Moho/Anime Studio user Sang820 is a member of WolfSmoke and has some awesome videos of his own:
Sang820 YouTube Channel

By the way, you might also want to check out this thread:
Need Your help, Don't know what to choose.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Sang820 has some really good anime work done in ASP, you can also buy some of his models and a set of video tutorials from content paradise.

http://contentparadise.com/searchimagev ... se%20agent
Riziam

Post by Riziam »

thanks everyone. Ive seen some inspiring stuff. Now at this point i want to see some tutorials on the anime stuff. Are there any?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

There are dozens of books about animation, as well as books about anime/manga. Have you worked your way through at least one of them?
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Problem is all the best books on how to create anime are in Japanese :(. I get the impression they are quite protective of their techniques. You would have to get a book on traditional frame by frame animation, like The Animators Survival Kit, and apply those same principles to the anime style.
SvenFoster

Re: Has anybody actually made anime/manga with anime studio?

Post by SvenFoster »

Wholey Jamoley!!!! Now I'm sad :'( time to give up I think.
Rudiger wrote:
Riziam wrote:Hello, this is my first day registered on the forum. I registered to get help on this problem i had with asp8. It got resolved. I wanted to know if anyone uses the software to create anime/manga like bleach? Of course its not going to be like a professional anime but has anyone came close? I would also like a link to it on youtube if you can. Thanks or anyone who replys
I would say that it's rare, as true anime is based on frame by frame animation, which isn't what Anime Studio is intended for. However, check out some of WolfSmoke's videos on YouTube, especially this one:
Original Short Animation Mountain Shu

It seems they have developed a technique where they create the keyframes using traditional pencil and paper technqiues, then they use a program like Anime Studio to do the painting and inbetweening. I say a "program like Anime Studio" as I can't guarantee they used it in the above video, but they did use it in this video:
Kung Fu Cooking Girls Original animation movie
so I think it's quite likely.

Also, long time Moho/Anime Studio user Sang820 is a member of WolfSmoke and has some awesome videos of his own:
Sang820 YouTube Channel

By the way, you might also want to check out this thread:
Need Your help, Don't know what to choose.
:( :( :( :( :( :(
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

Rudiger wrote:Problem is all the best books on how to create anime are in Japanese :(. I get the impression they are quite protective of their techniques.
Really? At the local comic book store here there´s tons and tons of books on drawing anime and manga. Almost as much as there is actual anime and manga :)
Rudiger wrote:You would have to get a book on traditional frame by frame animation, like The Animators Survival Kit, and apply those same principles to the anime style.
Yeah, it's still animation, just a certain style to the drawings. And less frames per second... :P
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

No, a good part of those books is already translated into english. See your local comic shop.

The question is: how good can you draw? If you can't - you're lost. Good anime is based on good drawings. There's no shortcut. There's no magic "insert hair blowing dramatically in the wind" button in the software.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

ponysmasher wrote:
Rudiger wrote:Problem is all the best books on how to create anime are in Japanese :(. I get the impression they are quite protective of their techniques.
Really? At the local comic book store here there´s tons and tons of books on drawing anime and manga. Almost as much as there is actual anime and manga :)
Manga, maybe. Anime, not so much. On amazon.co.jp, I've seen some great books on anime storyboarding, creating anime with Retas Studio, and creating effects for anime using Maya and After Effects, but none of these books are available in English.

Also, you can get a 12 month license for Retas Studio for about $80, which I find really irritating, as in the US, you would have to pay thousands of dollars for the same thing.
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

Rudiger wrote:On amazon.co.jp, I've seen some great books on anime storyboarding, creating anime with Retas Studio, and creating effects for anime using Maya and After Effects, but none of these books are available in English.
But is there a difference between anime storyboarding and regular old storyboarding? Isn't the difference just the style of drawing?
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

ponysmasher wrote:
Rudiger wrote:On amazon.co.jp, I've seen some great books on anime storyboarding, creating anime with Retas Studio, and creating effects for anime using Maya and After Effects, but none of these books are available in English.
But is there a difference between anime storyboarding and regular old storyboarding? Isn't the difference just the style of drawing?
Anime is much more than just a drawing style. It is also utilises a very specific story telling style, which has to be considered when setting the camera angles and pacing during the storyboard phase.
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

Ok, fair enough. I haven't really analyzed or thought about that with the anime I've seen; Miyazaki's films, Satoshi Kon's films, Cowboy bebop, and GitS (Perhaps they're not even good examples of the genre? I'm no otaku :) )