Smith Micro

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Smith Micro

Post by synthsin75 »

The following is a correspondence with Smith Micro, in its entirety (make your own conclusions):

Me> ASP 7 introduced a bug that made embedded layer scripts unusable do to multi-thread rendering. I am a script(tool) writer that has supported the user community, but has been hobbled by this bug. As such and considering my work flow is geared to take advantage of this particular feature, ASP 7 has been a useless product to me, and I have continued to use ASP 6 for work and scripting. Since ASP 8 has been released, with no indication of fixing this bug in ASP 7, I'm requesting a full refund for 7. This advertised feature never worked, and is a specific feature I expected when buying.

SM> Thank you for contacting Support. Please provide your Order Number for Anime Studio 7 so I can let you know what options are available.

Me> My Order ID, from my Content Paradise order history is: XXXXXX

SM> I apologize for the difficulties and disappointment. Your order is well outside the 30 Day Refund window we offer on all products purchased at Smith Micro. The ability for Embedded Layer Scripts was not listed as feature in Anime Studio 7 Pro and the section on Embedded Script File in the manual text was removed before the release of Anime Studio 7 Pro.

There was hope to have this feature again in the future and the function was reintroduced with Anime Studio Pro 8.

Again, I apologize for the disappointment.

Me> Let's compare manuals.
The ASP 6 manual, page 263:

Note that even though embedded scripts WERE a working feature in 6, no mention of it is included in the Layers Window > Options section.

The ASP 7 manual, page 259:

"• Embedded Script File:"

Yes, the description of this feature is missing, but the section is still there and still listed in the index, without any explanation to the contrary of it being an included feature. So it would be incorrect to assert that this is in any way a clear indication of a feature that was in 6 and is in 8 intentionally missing from 7.

So the ASP 6 manual didn't mention the embedded script functionality it indeed had, and conversely the ASP 7 manual lists "Embedded Script File" as an option, which you allude it wasn't "meant" to have. You should clearly see where this definitely misleading. On top of the feature clearly existing in the ASP 7 layer settings menu.

And you're ASP 7 ad copy, as per http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-Softw ... B003NS5KQU http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 4123223501 , http://store.purplus.net/anstpro7.html , http://corporate.digitalriver.com/store ... .196853500 (and even digitalriver) clearly states:

"• Customize functionality with LUA scripts"

All scripts in Anime Studio, including tool, button, menu, and embedded layer scripts ARE "custom functionality with LUA scripts". So in both cases you mention, you are in error about ANY indication of that specific feature being lost for ASP 7.

SM> Again, I apologize for the confusion. LAU Scripting does work. This one aspect of the program, which is not advertised and was removed in Anime Studio 7 Pro is not all Scripting.

I understand your frustration and desire to continue using aspects and features, but these change from version to version. As stated, this feature was reintroduced in Anime Studio 8 Pro.

Me> As I said, LUA scripting , which WAS advertised, includes the "• Embedded Script File:" mentioned in the ASP7 user manual.

Since you refuse to admit misleading ASP7 customers by not clearly stating that "• Customize functionality with LUA scripts" was not inclusive of ALL LUA scripting (even that mentioned in the manual), I will be posting the entirety of this correspondence on the Anime Studio forum, for all to see your blatant revisionist history.

You had the opportunity to support the AS community by supporting a simple refund request of an AS script writer, which would have been used toward ASP 8 so that scripting work could be continued.

Once again, Smith Micro proves its lack of dedication to customer satisfaction and support.

SM> I apologize for the typo. As stated, LUA Scripting does work. The Embedded Script File feature, which was not advertised, was removed from Anime Studio 7 Pro. The Documentation on the use of Embedded Script was removed from the manual, though the header remained.

Based on your date of purchase, you do not qualify for a Refund on your purchase of Anime Studio 7 Pro. You had 30 Days to contact Support to request a refund at the time of purchase. Again, I apologize for the disappointment.

Me> Since embedded scripts were never clearly stated to be removed from ASP7, users were left with the impression that a point release bug fix would address it. This is the sole reason why this request for a refund went over the 30-day period.

As other bugs introduced in ASP7 were being addressed, Smith Micro should have made a clear statement about features, that an ASP6 user would expect to find in 7, being unusable.

SM> Again, I apologize for the confusion. Since it was not a documented feature, it was not considered a bug but it was introduced as a Feature Request. As stated, this feature was added to Anime Studio 8 Pro as a documented feature based on requests for the feature.

Me> If the header existed in the manual, as you just admitted, it was a documented feature. The way you misled your customers should be clear in the fact that the embedded script feature wasn't requested to be reintroduced, but for the functionality, broken in AS7, to be fixed in AS7.
Last edited by synthsin75 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Latest responses:

SM> Again, I apologize for the confusion. Because your purchase is outside the 30 Day Refund period, you do not qualify for a refund.

Me> I've already proven that your ASP7 ad copy stated "• Customize functionality with LUA scripts", and that without a specific addendum to this, it is a statement inclusive of "• Embedded Script File:".

I've also proven that, where the ASP6 manual made no mention of this existing feature, the ASP7 manual ADDED the heading "• Embedded Script File:", clearly making more mention of it that in the last version.

Also, the option still clearly exists within ASP7, which is what leads users to think it is a bug rather than an intentionally removed feature.
Last edited by synthsin75 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Hi Synth,

I can see your point about the manual being misleading, but calling it a bug might be more accurate than a deliberate attempt at false advertising. Either way, you had 30 days to return what you describe as a "useless product", but chose to wait in the hopes that a bug fix would follow.

You gambled NEEDLESSLY, and it didn't pay off.

You should've refunded it within 30 days, gotten your money back, and waited for a version suitable to your workflow. You could've also bitched and moaned about that missing feature to your hearts content with my full support.

Instead, you waited.

For that you have only yourself to blame, not SmithMicro.

They gave you 30 days to make a decision, and you waited. For A YEAR.

I am not buying ASP 8 because it looks terrible. But if I had, I certainly would not expect a refund a year later.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I do consider this a bug, and since Mike has always been so good at addressing bugs, after this correspondence with SM CS, I emailed him. He forwarded my email to Fahim, who I got to speak with on the phone.

After talking with Fahim, I'm very much more optimistic about the future development of AS.

I assume the CS rep could only follow policy, and I'm glad this correspondence got me in touch with Fahim directly.
Wena Parry

Post by Wena Parry »

Many of us love Anime Studio and have supported it through many V, but it is good that Synth has approached SM like this.

It will I hope improve AS to get SM and us customers of theirs together.

Now I look forward to each an every one of us to benefit.

Thank you Synth.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

That's good news, Synth. In your correspondence with Mike or Fahim, was there any mention of releasing version 7.2 of AS 7 with this bug fixed?

Shame about the circumstances, but it's good to see you back on this forum :).
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

My focus is still the AnimatorsForum, so I'll probably only post to threads here I start. I just can't give up the ability to embed videos in posts.

No word about a 7.2.
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

synthsin75 wrote:After talking with Fahim, I'm very much more optimistic about the future development of AS.
This is good an heartening news.
I love AS and if development were to continue in a constructive way, that would be really awesome.

Imagine if the little niggling things were fixed, and user feedback was implemented! The way things are looking with SM lately, I am optimistic. Most things in life are cyclic, maybe we are on the backswing to AS radness... I hope so :)
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

I too heard today Fahim is back on the case ... it's something which made me wonder if SM are finally addressing some of the concerns which spawned 'the other place'.

For once, some good news from SM.

Rhoel
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

I dont think you need to worry about "the other place" at least here at lost marble you can register... I gave up trying at the other place. shame really.. I like to wander free.

Rhoel wrote:I too heard today Fahim is back on the case ... it's something which made me wonder if SM are finally addressing some of the concerns which spawned 'the other place'.

For once, some good news from SM.

Rhoel
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
JCook

Post by JCook »

synthsin75 wrote:No word about a 7.2.
Why would they work on 7.2? They just released 8. They should fix the bugs in 8 (which are probably the same ones in 7) and make it stable. I am currently going through a tech support problem with SM concerning 8 constantly crashing, with many emails back and forth, and it can't be resolved I'll go back to using 7. But 8 is now the current version. Maybe they should work on 8.1 and fix all the things wrong with 7.

Jack
benecosse

Post by benecosse »

I had the same issue
Last edited by benecosse on Thu May 05, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

There was a problem on the other forum when registering. Mike has since fixed it. This is the correct link. http://www.kelleytown.com/forum/animators/default.asp
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

sbtamu wrote:There was a problem on the other forum when registering. Mike has since fixed it. This is the correct link. http://www.kelleytown.com/forum/animators/default.asp
Cheers I might try again, if it wasnt personal ;)
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?