Anime Studio 8 Questions and Answers

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

selgin wrote:In the same aspect, Mike. Now with the new way tools are hidden from the tool palette when are not needed, is it possible to have tools which never be showed, but still having the shortcut?
Maybe a little code to add in the script we could want to hidde?
The logic for when to hide a tool is in the script for that tool. So a tool could I suppose choose to hide itself all the time. However, hidden tools won't respond to keyboard shortcuts, so the idea you have won't work.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

I've let a few posts slip by that were borderline, but I've had to start deleting some posts from this thread. Remember the rules (for just this thread): just questions and answers about Anime Studio 8 for people who are curious about might be new in the new version.

If you want to discuss creative ways to customize the user interface by modifying undocumented resource files, by all means you are free to do so in a new thread, just not right here.

No offense intended.
digitalartguru

Post by digitalartguru »

In AS Pro 8:
Is there a way to import adobe illustrator files WITH LAYERS, just like the Photoshop files with layers?
Last edited by digitalartguru on Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Is there a keyboard shortcut for going to the next keyframe? If not, can you make your own? (command-left/right arrow is not taken I think)

When playing back the animation with "Allow Frame Skipping", how correct is playback speed?
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

sbtamu wrote:
Lost Marble wrote:
mkelley wrote:Maybe your workflow isn't quite right -- try this...
Ah, OK, now I see it. I'm seeing it on a single monitor setup as well. I see that it's definitely tied to the library window being open. I'm going to send you an email in a couple minutes with some more info.
I am not sure I understand this. On my AS7 pro, If I have any pallet undocked and click on it, I can not do any thing to the time line or work space before I click on them. I thought this was normal so I always used right click so I wouldn't add extra unwanted key frames on accident.
Again, this may be simply a different workflow or definition. What I mean is that with the timeline undocked you can be animating in the main window by using the mouse (either rotating or translating a bone, or translating a vert in a vector layer, let's say) and then move the mouse to the timeline, adjust the frame by holding the mouse button down and moving it to a different spot, and then move back to the main window and press the mouse button down once, holding it down as you continue to animate (thus creating a keyframe). You definitely have to hold the mouse button down -- simply moving the cursor over to the main window won't do anything, of course (nor would you want it to).

With the library window undocked this won't work -- you need to click again in the main window before that single holding down of the mouse to move/adjust things will work. This is not true in version 6 or 7, and apparently has nothing to do with multiple monitors (it's just that, with multiple monitors, you are far more likely to have a library window undocked. With a single monitor there isn't too much point in undocking any window).
digitalartguru

Post by digitalartguru »

Mike,

It doesn't make sense that we can't alter or create our own bodies for it. What is the use of it if you can't be original?

Please explain the logic behind this decision. Will this be changing soon on version 8? Without this, there is no sense in paying for an upgrade
since we still have to rig our own characters the old way to create a library of unique characters.

Thanks
Last edited by digitalartguru on Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Onionskin

Post by Onionskin »

Mike,

1. When I manipulate bones with manipulate bones tool on frame 0, bone is constantly being reset by itself, Is this a new behavior in version 8, or just a bug?
Winows7 32bit and on Mac OS X 10.6.7, ASP 8

2. Can we espect in version 8.1 "blend morph" window open during editing on timeline and "track bone to video" window also open during editing, or at least shortcut for "track bone to video" please?
And display quality with checked antialiasing by default?

Thank you
Last edited by Onionskin on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Onionskin wrote:1. When I manipulate bones with manipulate bones tool on frame 0, bone is constantly being reset by itself, Is this a new behavior in version 8, or just a bug?
Winows7 32bit and on Mac OS X 10.6.7, ASP 8
It's a normal behavior, Onionskin. Frame zero is to setup and test bones.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

digitalartguru wrote:In AS Pro 8:
Is there a way to import adobe illustrator files WITH LAYERS, just like the Photoshop files with layers?
No, Illustrator files are always imported as a single layer.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Manu wrote:Is there a keyboard shortcut for going to the next keyframe? If not, can you make your own? (command-left/right arrow is not taken I think
No, there is no such shortcut, and you can't make your own. It's a good idea, though - I'll see about getting it into the next update.
digitalartguru

Post by digitalartguru »

Lost Marble wrote:
digitalartguru wrote:In AS Pro 8:
No, Illustrator files are always imported as a single layer.
Thanks for the reply. I will like to submit this request for future releases.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

digitalartguru wrote:It doesn't make sense that we can't alter or create our own bodies for it. What is the use of it if you can't be original?
Here's why it works the way it does: The character wizard bodies are procedurally generated. That is, the body dynamically changes shape based on combinations of various parameters: torso height, shoulder width, belly width, etc. Because the body parts all generated at once by an algorithm that knows what's going on, the program can attach the arms and legs to the correct places, etc. You also get an endless variety of different body types.

Once the body is done, the pre-made parts can be attached to known locations: plop a head on the top of the torso, pin hands to the end of the arms, etc.

The other concept, of having different bodies, legs, arms, etc. works in a totally different way. If you have an artist draw an arm for example, it's not so simple to just scale it to make it longer or more muscular. Also, different torsos will want arms attached at different locations, etc. It's actually quite tricky to set up independent body parts that can be mixed and matched and look reasonable. And to get a lot of variety will require a lot of different body parts. (A short, fat torso is always going to look like a short, fat torso. Scaling it will just make it look stretched.)

Given the comments on this topic, it may be something we'll investigate in the future, but it's not nearly so simple that it's something we can just turn on and give you next month.

The other thing I'll say about it is this: I wouldn't argue that the character wizard is the way to produce all your finished characters. It's a tool that can be used to create a finished character, or as a starting point for a more detailed character. You're always free to replace any body part with one of your own. You want to use a superhero torso that you've drawn? Just delete the torso created by the character wizard and put in your own. You still get instant rigging, multiple views, pre-animated actions, etc.

There are more ways to use the character wizard than insisting that your final product be produced by it.
digitalartguru wrote:Without this, there is no sense in paying for an upgrade
Well, that's certainly your choice to make. I would point out that the character wizard is not the only thing in version 8. Software updates are always a smorgasbord of features - some you'll like some you won't. Other people will have their own favorites.

-Mike
digitalartguru

Post by digitalartguru »

Lost Marble wrote:
digitalartguru wrote:Without this, there is no sense in paying for an upgrade
Well, that's certainly your choice to make. I would point out that the character wizard is not the only thing in version 8. Software updates are always a smorgasbord of features - some you'll like some you won't. Other people will have their own favorites.

-Mike
Hi Mike,
Good to hear from you.

What you are saying above is correct. I am aware of all the features that version 8 offers. The character wizard is not the only thing. We all know that.
That being said, and I will speak for myself ( even though I am not the only one that feels this way as you can tell by the many comments on this forum ), that I still cannot justify the full upgrade cost to version 8. Yes, there are some improvements here and there and they are welcomed, but some of them should have been an UPDATE to the software and not an UPGRADE at full cost. And some of them are OK, but they don't blow me away.

Also, please understand that my comments here are meant to be as "constructive" rather than destructive. I am not saying that the efforts put into Anime Studio 8 are not worthwhile. As a matter of fact, I do believe ( like other people here ) that the character wizard has a lot of potential with some improvements.

I don't know how many beta testers you use, but it would be very helpful to let more people beta test and offer suggestions from the very beginning to produce upgrades that are solid and inspiring to most people. Also to tackle previous problems and bugs with the software soon so that they don't transfer from upgrade to upgrade without resolution.

Thank you for listening and for making notes on what the users are saying and asking for.

Last edited by digitalartguru on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
benecosse

Post by benecosse »

Lost Marble wrote:..it's not nearly so simple that it's something we can just turn on and give you next month...
I take your point that this may be hard to implement quickly.
Last edited by benecosse on Thu May 05, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

benecosse wrote:However, with regards to using the Character Wizard for custom actions, can you confirm that you will 'turn on' the function allowing the translate bone tool to work on other bones as well as just the hip bone.
I can't make any statements about the future, but this request has been heard.