New to the world of animation need some advice

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Solonjk

New to the world of animation need some advice

Post by Solonjk »

Hello ppl.

I just got anime studio 7 in my hands and would like to ask the following.
-Is it possible to create/draw characters on some computer-connected surface with a light pen or some other method and transfer them to anime studio (sorry if this sounds weird, but i a have a friend who is an old fashioned cartoon designer and want to use his abilities)
-where to get some basic tutoring for anime studio 7? are there online tutors available or should i try teaching myself ??
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

to answer your first question, yes there are several methods he can use. he can use a pen tablet to sketch his characters in AS , some of the models out there have some nice features for a good price. i use a WACOM BAMBOO tablet which i got for under $100.00 USD . it works well and the surface of the tablet simulates the paper feel to the pen. or he could draw on paper itself and scan in the images into AS. the light pen you mention like a CINTIQ, are great if you can afford one. some of the forum members use them, and they love them. as for tutorials, look in the tips and tech section of the forum, i think that there have been some recent posts on new beginner tutes. also check youtube, alot of tutes there. and don't forget the help manual. they are the best place to start.
shannock

Post by shannock »

Eric at cartoonlearning.com has some good tutorials. Also Mark Bremmer did an excellent series for VTC on Anime Pro 5.6 which covers all the basics. For a free preview try his site markbremmer.com.

As far as tablets go, I use a Wacom Intuos 4 and do all my sketching in Corel Painter then transfer them to Anime Pro as JPGs and trace them.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

-where to get some basic tutoring for anime studio 7? are there online tutors available or should i try teaching myself ??
Start with manual, read it, do each example form scratch yourself. Search YouTube for tutorials.
Is it possible to create/draw characters on some computer-connected surface with a light pen or some other method and transfer them to anime studio (sorry if this sounds weird, but i a have a friend who is an old fashioned cartoon designer and want to use his abilities)
When your think you know AS then stop using it and find a book on how animation was done before computers, make up a cheap light box and peg system. I use a cheap box I bought and three ring binders, the type that have the aluminum pins. So I can easily change the amount of tracing paper, and then animate. Their is about 10 or so things that good animation will do, the old school book will tell you. Make sure that you can do them. Then come back to AS. You need to learn what your friend (if he is any good) already knows.

Dale
Poopee

Post by Poopee »

Mark Bremer also did a good video set introducing as6 if I remember correctly.

I use a Wacom myself, but I use it like a mouse in ASP, the freehand tool makes too many cp's for my taste, also a bit of a control freak with my ASP designs, which I get from going a point at a time, but this is just my preference!

AS is not a classic animation package, so if your friend is a classic type of animator, he will not get the freedom of animation he might have had doing animation the old fashion way.

Just a thought!

Poopee