Slow Anime Studio 7

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

moki_lsd

Slow Anime Studio 7

Post by moki_lsd »

Hello guys!

I'm not sure, probably someone asked this before, but I couldn't find any topics that explains this problem. Ok, I'll just start a new one.

I used Anime studio before, many many times, and it is great. Now, when I switched to Win 7, and Anime studio 7, when I open a pretty large project (with a lot of points, and physics, all in one) anime studio seems to be so slow! it is frustrating... when I render it, I see animation is much faster (in real time) but when I work in anime studio, and press "play" animation barely moves, like its going to crash any second.

What do you think its the problem?

Should I buy a new graphic card? I have GeForce 8500 GT 512
Core 2 Duo 1.86 processor... Should I replace it with a better one?
3 GB of RAM.

I would really LOVE to have a kick ass working anime studio, cause I'll be making cartoons soon, for kids. Also, I'll be graduating soon, and my final exam is animation. I really need a good machine running this software.... Otherwise, I'll go nuts:))

Do I need to set preview to minimum? And how to do it? :)

Thanks.

-Moki
crsP

Post by crsP »

Are you saying you are using the same scene from a previous version of Windows on Win 7 and it's behaving more slowly? If so then it is likely to be a Win 7 issue rather than hardware. Might need to update your graphics card drivers, so try that first.

If that doesn't work, adjust your Display Quality settings to something that is an acceptable compromise between speed and quality for your tastes. It's located to the right of the timeline controls, at the bottom of the main window.

I doubt you will get the full injection of speed from a graphics card update. The stuff you are using is what is slowing things down - physics, particles, etc. You can also 'bake' the physics, so the computer doesn't have to recalculate every time you play the animation [which is what it does]. Particles can be 'baked' too, by rendering them separately as Quicktime movies with alphas, and dropping those in to your animations.
moki_lsd

Post by moki_lsd »

Thank you very much!

I dont know how and why (and I would like to know) but when I "baked" physics, everything went smooth! What did it do to my project to make the workflow fast as render? I just checked "use baked physics" and everything stood the same except speed. Much better! Magical... Thank you.

-Moki
crsP

Post by crsP »

Well you figured how to bake it yourself - that's the how. The why is that physics calculations [as well as particles] take a lot more processing time because the computer has to evaluate for every frame the position of every vector, whether they are colliding, the new direction the go after colliding, based on user settings and initial velocity, etc. Every time you 'play' the timeline, or the playhead loops back to the first frame, the physics are calculated again, whether there is a change or otherwise. What baking does is the computer calculates the physics once for the frame range, then it just makes a keyframe for all items on every frame in the range. Therefore when you play it back, it's like playing an animation you keyed yourself [on every frame] so no complex calculations are done.
moki_lsd

Post by moki_lsd »

Well explained!

Thanks again,
-Moki.