Mac vs PC

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

gdub

Mac vs PC

Post by gdub »

Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing a Mac, will the animation files and 3D obj props that I created on a PC be usable on a Mac? Thanks
dm

Post by dm »

obj doesn't care about platform.

animation files? .anme files should work fine. Output animation (.avi, quicktime, etc.) generally work. Some file types don't move so nice. Clarify what you mean by animation files for further compatibility info.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

AS is totally compatible for working on Mac and PC. I always work with people which have Mac (I own a pc) with no problems. We share anme files, images, videos, etc.
If the files hierarchy is properly made, everything will work fine.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
gdub

Post by gdub »

The animation files I was referring to are the layers (vector, bone, switch etc.) that I made.

Post by 94253 »

I switched from Windows to Mac the other year & have never looked back! Everything you've created in AS for Windows will work perfectly (if not better ;) in AS for Mac. You are making a good move.
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

94253 wrote:I switched from Windows to Mac the other year & have never looked back!
Care to elaborate? As someone with very little experience of macs I'm genuinely curious about the advantages.
I'm currently having problems delivering a tv-show because they want it in DvcPro Quicktime and as far as I know you can only create that on a Mac. I've also had problems with Prores, another native mac format, so I might have to get one eventually.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

A TV show delivered in DVCPro? They can't be serious ... It's a camera format and deep on the bottom of the list of accepted formats for news if nothing better is available ...

Anything for TV I produce in Full HD (1920 x 1080, 25p) and deliver it either as PNG sequence or as Uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2. My postproduction facility transfers this to Digibeta, if necessary.

TV stations in Germany are quite picky about "broadcast quality", but it's generally agreed upon which formats they'll accept. Anyone working below that standard either has to have a good excuse (like news material under difficult circumstances) or just happens to work with non-professional equipment. Make sure you didn't pick one of those.

"Mac vs. PC" shouldn't be a question nowadays - a carefully set up Windows machine works as reliable as a Mac. Only that Mac OS comes with a useable range of professional, working codecs.
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

The tv-show is for UR, sort of like the swedish learning channel and that's what they want for digital delivery apparently, DvcPro50 Quicktime. Although we've produced it in HD, we haven't been asked to deliver in it.

It could be a temporary thing because this is an early delivery of the first episode, the whole show will be delivered later in the year and air next year but for some reason we get extra money if we deliver the first episode now.

I've delivered stuff for tv before, then it was mjpeg quicktime. I guess swedes aren't as picky as germans when it comes to television (which may explain why our digital broadcasts break up in ugly blocks at the slightest hint of motion).
dm

Post by dm »

slowtiger wrote:Anything for TV I produce in Full HD (1920 x 1080, 25p) and deliver it either as PNG sequence or as Uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2. My postproduction facility transfers this to Digibeta, if necessary.
HD to Digibeta? Letterboxed, Anamorphic, or what?

DVCPro for windows: http://dvfilm.com/raylight/EncoderPro/index.htm

ProRes on windows: http://support.apple.com/downloads/Appl ... or_Windows

HD 'broadcast' formats that seem to be preferred (US): HD Cam / SR, HD-D5, and about in that order.

Delivery of a TV show to a broadcaster is different than delivery to a production company. A lot of live action is done DVCPro. When an editor is already in that work flow, I could see that being a requested format. Hopefully, that's the case here.

HD broadcast is 'lacking'. I hear the typical broadcast HD bit rate is around 10 Mbits/sec. That's not much more than an SD DVD-with about 3-6 times the information. LOTS of compression. A lot of HD broadcast is virtually unwatchable.
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

Thanks for this link! Will check it out.