Anime Studio - plan of development?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rave

Anime Studio - plan of development?

Post by rave »

Hello,
I am courios about the plan of development of Anime Studio, will there be a "Roadmap".
Perhaps anybody knows something about the next version of Anime Studio? Perhaps Smith Micro can give us some infos? So, it would be easier to plan the investment of other software.

Thank you.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I think you'll find it's pretty rare for software designers or companies to give any details about future developments. I seem to recall that Mike Clifton, the main (only?) software designer for Anime Studio, has gone on record saying that he won't do this. So you'll have to make your mind up based on current implementations, not future wishlists. Which, in fact, is the only sensible option, if you think about it.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
tonym

Post by tonym »

If you're concerned that version 8 will be released soon after you buy version 7, I wouldn't worry about it. Version 7 is still fairly new, so there's virtually zero chance that version 8 will be released this year, and only a smallish chance of version 8 appearing next year, IMO.
rave

Post by rave »

Ok, it was only a question. I hoped, that Smith Micro would be answer ...
crsP

Post by crsP »

tonym wrote:If you're concerned that version 8 will be released soon after you buy version 7, I wouldn't worry about it. Version 7 is still fairly new, so there's virtually zero chance that version 8 will be released this year, and only a smallish chance of version 8 appearing next year, IMO.
I'm sure that's what version 6 users thought for a while - HAHAHHAHAHAHA!

I don't think it's unusual for users to get a heads-up in what might be upcoming in future versions. Apple got into trouble in the server market because of their notorious secrecy - server purchasers were used to seeing a hardware roadmap to base their purchasing decisions on. Now Apple have discontinued xserve. Coincidence maybe. hmm

I think the next big feature for version 8 will be Twitter integration.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

rave wrote:Ok, it was only a question. I hoped, that Smith Micro would be answer ...
See this link: A message from the Product Manager
....The Lostmarble forum is not owned or run by Smith Micro. Smith Micro employees visit the forum and also post announcements about updates etc., however, we don’t monitor the forum....
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I was wondering, who actually pays to keep the Lostmarble web site up? IF SM is not paying to keep it up and does not own it, who is?
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
rave

Post by rave »

@neeters_guy - Yes, I saw the link. Maybe I'll even ask Smith Micro.
I know that not all information is disseminated through development plans. But a general direction would be good.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

sbtamu, lostmarble is owned by Mike Clifton, the creator of AS, and is oddly the "unofficial" AS forum for SmithMicro, tho I don't think an official AS forum exists.
tonym

Post by tonym »

SmithMicro won't tell anybody when Version 8 will be released.

Telling even one potential customer the release date for Version 8 is like the company telling the whole internet, "Don't anybody buy ASP until (date/month/year)! Who needs revenue until then? Not us!"

We'll learn about ASP Version 8's release the precise day it is released - probably when somebody from this forum notices Version 8 being sold on SmithMicro's website and posts a link.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

tonym wrote:If you're concerned that version 8 will be released soon after you buy version 7, I wouldn't worry about it. Version 7 is still fairly new, so there's virtually zero chance that version 8 will be released this year, and only a smallish chance of version 8 appearing next year, IMO.
I don't know about that. AS7 was released exactly one year after AS6, so I think there's a good chance that AS8 will be released later this year.