Create in PS and export into ASP7? ....or not

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Matt

Create in PS and export into ASP7? ....or not

Post by Matt »

Hi,

I am new here. I'm also new to animation and new to ASP7.

It's an awesome program from what I can see.
I would love to do everything within ASP7, including drawing with a graphics tablet, creating all of my characters ect. -but the "little voice" is telling me that maybe drawing in PS and importing to ASP7 may be better (?)

I'm open to any suggestions, it just seems like many animators use other programs to create layers and import to ASP7

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated :?
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

That "little voice" could be a flash fanboy, dont listen to it.
There is no need to go to another software, just draw in AS.

If there is some drawing task that you think you cant do in AS its because you havent get used to AS drawing tools yet, you have said it yourself, your new to the software.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

It depends of the style you want to do. If you want cut-out style, use bitmaps. If you want clean and flexible characters, use AS vectors.
Even you can use both and combine them. You can get fantastic effects with textured vectors, for example.

If this answer doesn't satisfy you, maybe you could post a picture of the kind of character you want to make and we could guide you in the choice.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Kalamonkey

Post by Kalamonkey »

If you do your drawing in Anime Studio Pro, then you will be creating Vector Graphics. There is no raster drawing in ASP. This is not really a bad thing I personally prefer to work with Vector Graphics.

I like drawing in Photoshop myself... So I usually draw in PS throw it into Illustrator and convert it to vector and the import it into ASP. But there are many “gotchas” if you go that route it can be a long painful process to get things right. Actually, I usually draw with pen and paper, and import it into Illustrator and then into ASP...

I would listen to Parker, once you learn the way ASP thinks it's a lot less hassle... Look at some of Parker's work, it's proof that you can draw great things in ASP...
"No one ever said the story has to make sense!"

http://www.youtube.com/KalamonkeyTV
Matt

Thank you for your responses

Post by Matt »

I have watched quite a few ASP tutorials today and I think I'll just try using ASP7 exclusively for now and learn the tool set provided inside the program (I'm doing cut out style animation) Thanks again, Matt
PARKER

Re: Thank you for your responses

Post by PARKER »

Matt wrote:I have watched quite a few ASP tutorials today and I think I'll just try using ASP7 exclusively for now and learn the tool set provided inside the program (I'm doing cut out style animation) Thanks again, Matt
Some nice free drawing tutorials here:

viewtopic.php?t=18244
gdub

Post by gdub »

I really didn't care for AS drawing tools at first, however I've grown to really like them. In fact I wish Illustrator and other vector drawing software would use some of the features that AS has.
Matt

Thanks agian -the tutorials are great!!!

Post by Matt »

Sooooo much better to work exclusively in ASP7 for my purposes. The tutorials are great! Thanks again, Matt :P
AniPierre

Post by AniPierre »

Parker,

Your drawing tutorials are wonderful! I'm going to have to investigate the other ones you've posted. Again, I can't thank you enough!

Pierre