Goldfish - Get Busy Living - Cartoon Brew!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Post by chucky »

Congrats , Dawg. :D
crsP

Post by crsP »

I meant the introduction given to your video by the article. this quote "It’s a treat to see someone advocate a purely digital illustration style and not use software to mimic a traditional animation look." seems strange to me. I was expecting something like the Junior Senior video created by Shynola, mentioned previously. That was a pixel animation which clearly had to be computer created. Yours simulated paint which is not unusual in 'traditional' animation. He might have meant the 'cel' look? Either way it's a weird statement to make. Mozbo says he loves the introduction. HAHAHAHHA

On the subject of the colour change from Photoshop. Have you tried to assign the colour profile in Photoshop before you save? I have a feeling this is what is giving you the colour change, as if there is no profile, the pngs will be seen in the default colour profile. It's in one of the menus in Photoshop - might be in the edit menu or thereabouts.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Awesome animation and accomplishment, Mikdog!
crsP wrote:Not sure about that introduction -sounds like a back-handed compliment.
No, it's a total and complete compliment. They're saying his art looks digital and doesn't try to look not digital, and they like that.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Thanks man, tonym ;)

crsP > thanks. Hmm wonder if that would work with the Photoshop export to AS file script that comes with AS. If so I may be able to retain my lovely vibrant colours instead of getting a slightly more washed out version.
crsP

Post by crsP »

tonym wrote: No, it's a total and complete compliment. They're saying his art looks digital and doesn't try to look not digital, and they like that.
Ahhh, I see. Weird that other animations using digital tools [and which productions aren't these days?] to recreate the cel look are not lambasted... nah, I'm just being paranoid - it's a regular love-fest!

*Sarcasm mode disengaged*

AUTOBOTS TRANSFORM AND ROLL OUT!
AniPierre

Post by AniPierre »

I finally just got around to seeing this post and the associated CartoonBrew post. I'm not certain how I missed this the first time around!

I have a technical question. You said that you worked off your animatic and created all your artwork in Photoshop then manipulated the layers in Anime Studio Pro. Could you tell me what resolution your Photoshop file was? Do you work at the targeted screen size in pixels and at screen resolution?

I'm curious because I like this approach very much because it eliminates the need to create vector art in Anime Studio. I'm guessing that the render time increases dramatically because you are manipulating raster art instead of vector art.

Congrats on the great write-up though and I'm looking forward to your next project!
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Thanks.

My Photoshop resolution was 72 dpi, 1280 x 720 (a HD preset in PS CS4)

Render time was pretty good - with biiig files, so if I had a multi-screen background, and lots of layers - that took long. I had 2 laptops though, one rendering onto a removable hard-drive @ 10,000 RPM (a raptor drive - s'fast) and I could work on the other one. Or I'd just render on the work laptop and take a break while it rendered. The plane scene where the characters were in the plane jamming, and one of the beginning scenes where the characters played music took looong to render. I could have shortened it by hiding layers and groups and characters when they weren't on screen because AS renders EVERYTHING even if its not showing on screen. Hiding stuff would've sped things up drastically I think, but anyway.

So, yes, target resolution and size.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Really? AS renders stuff that is outside the camera view? I did not know this. This will help tons because I always have stuff lingering out of view.

thanks
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Here's a 'making of' video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8v80g7n1Cc