AS 7.1

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jean_R

Post by Jean_R »

7.1 release still fails at exporting SWF file. I'm not talking about flash compatibilities but my AS Pros (from 5.5) are just unable to produce any SWF files. Have you got the same issue ? please respond. May I talk about this bug here ?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I'm still with AS PRO 5.6 -- despite some well-documented issues, I can still export swf files.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Jean_R

Post by Jean_R »

I reinstalled a 32 bits OS only because I hoped it was a way to make AS work well. Is there a Dual Core issue ? Even I set affinity to one core, but AS doesn't produces any swf file on my computer.
crsP

Post by crsP »

All this hassle to get an update - which people who pirate the software do not have to go through. This company is run by the insane.

I use a package manager to extract only the program and manual, which came in well under 100 mb. Why not separate this content from the main app? All a beginner needs is Lenny to see how rigging works.

If I am wrong and this content is used by professionals [and I speak of 'pro' and not 'debut'],, then show me these professionals who are using random and disparate characters in their productions.

This Smith Micro seems stuck in the 90's. Who would pay for 'extended downloads'? Why do I get a 2 dollar extended download by default when I go for a 'free' update? Then it refused to be removed and I had to fiddle through firewall settings just to get it off. And that is after searching for my serial. So serial found, extended download removed, now I must be able to download, right? Nope, have to sign in! Even as I use serial as proof? sheesh. Now I have to search emails for this sign in and password. Then you tell me I have to download nearly 400 mb of the same stuff I spent a long time downloading when I bought the program? Where is the logic people? If SM are so worried about piracy, why don't they do like in Artrage where you sign up with your licence, and the application itself can check for updates and download it for you [whilst checking you have a legit serial in the background]?

It really gets on my nut-sack that I have so much trouble in getting this free update that so far I haven't even got it. Yet someone pirating this software for free gets all they want with little hassle.

Wasn't it Heyvern who claimed that SM were justified in charging peoples credit cards for a demo because server space cost so much? If they are so worried about their servers being caned, why force users to download 300mb of the same content they have already. Wouldn't it be easier on the servers just to replace the app with the update?
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I contacted SM and the rep I spoke to said she's looking @ creating smaller builds for future updates for existing users but she knows not when that'll happen.

I agree. Totally crazy to have to download the whole freaking thing. What are they thinking? I went through an epic process to be able to just download the file. That I don't want to now is moot, but it was a pretty lengthy procedure. Anyways, I'll stop bitching and moaning. She offered to mail the CD with the update to me. My AS is working ok for the moment so I don't really have a desperate need for it.

Looking forward to posting my latest project.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I tried to find the thread about the cost of AS7 pro but could not find it so I'll post here.

Everything at Smith Micro is 40% off up till 11:59 pm Oct. 31.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

sbtamu wrote:Everything at Smith Micro is 40% off up till 11:59 pm Oct. 31.
Does that include upgrades or only NEW purchases?
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

InfoCentral wrote:
sbtamu wrote:Everything at Smith Micro is 40% off up till 11:59 pm Oct. 31.
Does that include upgrades or only NEW purchases?
Smith Micro Software A special Halloween offer from Smith Micro Software:
40% OFF EVERYTHING
Savvy shoppers save 40% on any software title at my.smithmicro.com now through October 31, 2010. That's right, pick any title and save a whopping 40% when you buy now.

SHOP AND SAVE
Don't delay! This limited-time offer expires soon!. Use the coupon code BIGSCARYSALE at checkout and save 40% today.*

There are no worries with our 30-day "no questions asked" return policy.

COUPON CODE:
BIGSCARYSALE *One per customer. Not valid with any other offers, discounts, trials or special upgrade pricing. Sale ends 10/31/2010 at 11:59pm PST.
SHOP NOW and SAVE 40%
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Yep, then excluded upgrades from the discount. I'm really looking for something like 50% off before I upgrade my ASP. At this point I don't know why I would care to upgrade my ASP6.
crsP

Post by crsP »

Why exclude upgrades from the offer? If you read it again [and I have the original mail], you will see that it is not valid with 'special' upgrade pricing. That means it is valid with the normal upgrade pricing. They are protecting themselves incase they have another promo on and someone ends up getting their entire catalogue for a buck fifty.

Dude I think it's time you change your name from 'Infocentral' - it's seems to be going against the trade descriptions act, of recent.
masaru2050

Post by masaru2050 »

thanx
:D
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

I'm quite curious to know how many legit copies of 7.x are out there?

Not that I would want to issues with 7.x piled upon the masses (well at least for folks want to use scripts to extend functionality) but if there is a larger user base maybe updates and fixes would come more promptly?

It's a real b*st*rd downloading something as cool as Selgins face turning technique and scripts to have meshinstance crash for rendering.

I haven't tried to export PNG frames and run through Premiere or similar, guess I'll test that out.

But I pray to the Gods of Prompt Software Fixes that this gets sorted soon. This software is far too sexy and awesome to have issues like this.
crsP

Post by crsP »

I think it has a large number of legit users - if not it would have probably been dropped by now.. So the lack of bug fixes are probably not related to the number of purchased copies.
Mozbo

Post by Mozbo »

As I've been working my way through the user manual, I realized that I still hadn't upgraded to 7.1
So I downloaded the whomping big file late last night and went to bed. I'm fixing to reload the entire program right now...

IF you are "marking up" the User Manual (like I've been doing with the Adobe Reader Highlight tool and Notes tool, documenting manual discrepancies and workarounds, and highlighting things I need to try to remember), you may want to save your revised version somewhere else, since the re-install will overwrite everything...

Keeping my fingers crossed as I go to reinstall...
The reinstall went VERY smooth.
One "odd" note ~ Once I had installed my serial number to make my ASP7 "legit," I needed to re-register, again needing my number. I was surprised to find the ENTIRE serial number visible under the "about" tab under Help...
I'm used to software not publishing the entire serial number ~ It helps keep piracy down if the number is not fully displayed. Adobe only displays the first 6 digits or so, which contain certain information about the version for customer support...

As regards the amount of illegal copies of AS out there, there may be enough legit copies to keep the product, there are also a LOT of easily obtainable warez versions. I was appalled at how many offers for serial numbers I came across on the web while looking for tutorials. I even messaged SM that they should consider having someone regularly "hunt down" the more blatent publications...There is even a YouTube video offering a serial number...Poor security on SM's part.
~M
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.
Life is short, enjoy the adventure!
chucky

Post by chucky »

ENTIRE serial number visible under the "about" tab under Help...
It is not uncommon for software to do this.