yes, another leaving the forum

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

J. Baker

yes, another leaving the forum

Post by J. Baker »

Tired of hearing all the crap. It seems this forum belongs to out of control children then civilized artist and animators. I'll still continue using Anime Studio and those who know me already have my contact information. If not, you can find my email on my website from my sig below.

Bye! ;)
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Thanks for all the great tools you've contributed. I hope after a break from the forum you'll consider posting again.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Pity, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck with your adventure game, hope it comes to fruition. Always wanted to make an 8-bit adventure game. I remember you posting a while back with the character as your avatar. Possibly using AGS. In any event, good luck.

Edit - I see that it may have been my post in the jobs thread that peeved you off. I apologize if it was the tipping point. In some ways you have a point: someone wanted work for free, who am I to shoot it down? I've removed the post and hope you consider staying.

Mike
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

@ neeters
Thanks!

@ Mikdog
Don't take it personal. I enjoy you and your work you show. It just seems there's been a lot of complaints about Anime Studio 7 and the forum has changed to something not as fun to come to. I'm just as guilty. When Moho first switched to Anime Studio, I had my own complaints. I soon recognized my comments were not good for myself or others.

But I'll be back again some day. I just need a clearer head to finish my projects. I'm for some reason easily effected by negativity. So that's my reason on posting this topic and not coming to the forum. And in hopes that people see that other members are effected by the negative comments.

The last thing I'll state is that not everyone in the Jobs section posting for free work or pay after the sales start coming in, is just another dead project. I'm thankful that parker has joined me from my similar post. And when the project is done and on the market, he'll get 50% of the sales. Everyone has to start some where and right now my lack of a budget couldn't pay anyone ahead of time. So we shouldn't break anyone dreams just because we don't think it will survive to even be completed.

Anyway, when the project is done, me or parker will post it on the forum. Simply because the graphics and animation will be done in Anime Studio.

So let's be kind and encourage one another. You never know that one day you might be working with the person that you thought wouldn't make it. Cheers! ;)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

it's a shame all the positive people get fed up and leave - that just dilutes us further into oblivion... the other thing i dont really get is the big exit people seem to be increasingly fond of...

Good luck with everything, hope you decide to come back sometime, but dont be surprised if the volume of rubbish is increased due to all the decent folk jumping ship! it's kinda counterproductive imho... its the moaning negative troll types that should get fed up and leave :P
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

funksmaname wrote:it's a shame all the positive people get fed up and leave - that just dilutes us further into oblivion... the other thing i dont really get is the big exit people seem to be increasingly fond of...

Good luck with everything, hope you decide to come back sometime, but dont be surprised if the volume of rubbish is increased due to all the decent folk jumping ship! it's kinda counterproductive imho... its the moaning negative troll types that should get fed up and leave :P
It's not as much as a "big exit" as much as it is saying goodbye to other members on the forum. A forum that I have been using for some years. I thought it would be rude to just leave and say nothing at all.

I thought I would at least respond to this topic though. I want to make sure no one takes anything the wrong way. And to explain myself if needed.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

well, I for one think it's a shame.
Tagirijus

Post by Tagirijus »

Sorry, if this post could seem to be very brash, but:

If "out of control children" comes more and more, why do you professionals care? I think if you leaving-guys are professionals, you should have absolutely no reason for leaving, because you should be that professional that you do not care about kiddy forumposts or something like this.

At this point I want to mention that I have absolut respect for all you professionals out there and in this forum. I never would try to blame you in a insulting way, so please do not get my post negative please (moreover my english may be bad, sorry).

In my experience (mainly in the music area since I am a musician ... maybe graphical artists are different?) one important professional characteristic always was to be some kind "above kiddy behaviours" as some kind of excellence. I hope you understand how my intention in this argument is.

For those who do not know it: I am a totally graphical newbe and it's just some kind of hobby; my excellence is mostly in the audio / music area, which is part of my job. So again: please do not understand me wrong at all. Otherwise: maybe I got something wrong? ;)

Nevertheless: best wishes for the future and good bye if you are leaving,
Manu
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I consider myself a professional, and yes, I get highly annoyed by those "kids". They don't know basic communication, they lack basic social skills, and it's absolutely no fun to deal with them - even to ignore them takes time and energy which is lost for other purposes.

My own recipe to deal with that is to stay abstinent from a forum for some time, and to adamantly refuse to answer anything coming from those trolls.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

I think some posts here can be pretty annoying but its not a reason to leave the forum, the best thing to do is to ignore them.
Users here need inspiration and i think the best place to find it is in the share your work section, but saddly most of the things you see there are made by amateurs that are just starting to use the software, very often you see the post: "my first animation with anime studio" thats very sad, but i dont mean that its bad to show your first works there, not at all, go ahead! but we need more pro AS animations to inspire AS users here in the forum.

I come to this forum when i finish working on my bgs and im tired, so i start reading some posts and sometimes i make a comment as well.
I like that a lot of people here enjoy my bgs(actually i find a little annoying the praises and i really prefer the criticism)and a long time ago i was thinking in making a video tutorial for the users here but i just havent had time for it, i need money i have to work and still have a lot of things to learn so after working i spend a lot of time reading books and tutos on background art and animation in general.

I hope that when J. baker and i finish the game we can show it here and inspire others to keep using the software and improving their skills with it.
Tagirijus

Post by Tagirijus »

slowtiger wrote:I get highly annoyed by those "kids". They don't know basic communication, they lack basic social skills, and it's absolutely no fun to deal with them
This can be hard, yes. But at some point there should be basic forum-rules. If they don't get attention, someone should contact a forum-admin. I think rules exists for some kind of ordered and friendly atmosphere (I know that the reality unfortunately is very different...I hate it, too!).
slowtiger wrote: My own recipe to deal with that is to stay abstinent from a forum for some time, and to adamantly refuse to answer anything coming from those trolls.
Yeah this sound like a good solution even for me. I did it often times, too.

I think somone who is at least a bit clever and do have "basic social communication-skills" should stand above those kids. Some people just do not have enough brainpower. ;)

Ps: Greetings form germany to germany. :P
Genete

Post by Genete »

slowtiger wrote:My own recipe to deal with that is to stay abstinent from a forum for some time, and to adamantly refuse to answer anything coming from those trolls.
+1

-G
Paul Mesken

Post by Paul Mesken »

slowtiger wrote:I consider myself a professional, and yes, I get highly annoyed by those "kids". They don't know basic communication, they lack basic social skills, and it's absolutely no fun to deal with them - even to ignore them takes time and energy which is lost for other purposes.

My own recipe to deal with that is to stay abstinent from a forum for some time, and to adamantly refuse to answer anything coming from those trolls.
Yes, you hit the nail on the head. Common decency is so important.

On the one hand a lot of us genuinely want to spend some of our time helping other people. On the other hand, I doubt many of those like to see their efforts "rewarded" by plain insults and ignorant remarks from kids (well, I hope they are kids). Simply shrugging things off isn't as easy as it sounds like. Being mature and all that doesn't make one impervious to insults.

Yep, I too memorize certain names (not being above vengefulness) but at some point one starts to wonder why spending hours on a forum while a lot of drawing could have been done in that time.

And all of that can be avoided by keeping a civil tone and simple respect.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

One issue I see is a "respect" issue or... a "fear of discipline". When dealing with a large group of "kids" or a group of "immature" people if the person/s in charge aren't in charge or can portray an air of strict authority then those who tend towards that type of annoying behavior won't listen when told they are causing issues.

There is no governing authority. There are no repercussions. I am not saying we need some sort of draconian iron fist rule dictator but... yes... someone who can slap down trouble makers with a single post or PM. Someone who clearly has the power and authority to quickly smack down without question or back talk. Final word, 3 strikes you're out. Knock it off or else.

Marin Hash, creator of Animation Master is (was? He is traveling a lot last time I checked in) an iron fist dictator on his forum. Yes, he was a hard case. He made the rules and even if they made no sense or seemed stupid, if you broke those rules the hammer would fall and that was it. I remember the old mailing list. If you broke the rules you were kicked off and couldn't come back unless you apologized and explained WHY you should be allowed back.

We don't need ALL of that... but some level of it. Some type of hard case moderator who can spend time here at least once a day, or a few times a week. Someone who is NOT an existing member of the forum. Someone people won't ignore. A new "warden" who isn't here to be loved but respected and feared.

We also need very very strongly and harshly worded strict rules of conduct. Most rules are broken to some degree, so the stricter they are then you get some kind of "middle ground".

Like a speed limit. So around here where the limit is 55mph, most people drive on average between 60-65. If the speed limit was 60 they would drive 70-75. The average is always above the legal limit. With very strict forum rules we can expect at least some moderation in behavior. With hardly any rules to speak of it's a free-for-all.

-vern
jwlane

Missed it?

Post by jwlane »

I guess I either missed it, or maybe my perceptions are skewed (geez, are they talking about me?). But, in any event, I see the inane remarks as litter floating under a bridge. It's ugly and it's bad for the general environment. However, it doesn't impede most people's immediate progress.

My perceptions, however, probably are skewed. I live in the southern US, were most politicians are falling over themselves to put as many uncontrolled guns on the street as seemingly possible. I'm not anti-gun. I grew up around people and their hunting guns, with strict hunting guns rules that involved trigger locks. But now, it's not guns for hunting. It's guns for tactical applications. WTF! Quentin Tarantino is making period pieces because his modern fantasies have become normalized? When I see unfamiliar people, I look for the holster bulge under their clothing because enough times it's there.

Any way, so much for the Team America POV. By comparison, I don't see much to get too angry about here. And if I moved to an northern European country, could safely ride my bike everywhere and drink delicious double bock, I might be too mellow to care (where's my freakin passport).