Over a month passed... And ASP7 still not work!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Imago

Over a month passed... And ASP7 still not work!

Post by Imago »

This morning I got up from bed and tought: "Ah! Today Smith Micro will release the patch for ASP7! Finally I can go on my work!"

but... :shock:

No patch as been released! :evil:
I paid over 130$ for it... I think a good software developer, in about 30 days, can fix a little software like Anime Studio...
SM, you have to deserve the money I gave you! :x
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
benecosse

Post by benecosse »

Have you emailed them?
Last edited by benecosse on Fri May 06, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imago

Post by Imago »

I don't want a refund...
I want a functional software!
benecosse

Post by benecosse »

ok
Last edited by benecosse on Thu May 05, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Imago

Post by Imago »

If the developing of the patch will take too much, Smith Micro can almost give a copy of ASP 6 to who purchased 7 version.
I bought it only to use blend morphs, grid and the advanced shape effects...
For now I'm not interested in 3D and phisics stuff.
benecosse

Post by benecosse »

I'd email SM and ask them
Last edited by benecosse on Thu May 05, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I think it would be good for customer relations if they let anyone who bought AS7 pro to download AS6 until they can release a patch. Or if a patch will be ready in the next week or so at least let us know.

A E-mail I received from SM on June 30, said...

"Hello Stephen,

Thank you for the clarification. I do see what you describe in the file that you sent. A report has been filed with the engineers for them to look further into the issue.

Regards,"

The above quote is about the interpolate bug.

Then some where in the mail it said if It has not been solved in 2 weeks for me to send in another incident.

I do believe someone is working on it but its going to take time, IMO they are waiting for more bug reports so they can fix most of the bugs in one patch.

But the problem with waiting is the 30 day money back is closing in fast. The question is do I get a refund and buy AS6 pro or stick with AS7?

It would sure help if SM would post something on their web site.

This isn't a flame by any means, just an observation.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Imago

Post by Imago »

Yes, you're right, Sbtamu.
Maybe they will patch many bugs in one shot... But they can tell us something like when they will release the patch.
erikk

Post by erikk »

Yeah, I'm about to go request the refund, then I'll watch for fixes to arrive. If they get around to it, I'll purchase the upgrade again. As it is, the breaking of interpolation means I simply cannot use ASP with my prebuilt characters nor can I work in the way I usually do. So I'll happily stay with 6 until (or if) they bother to fix this.
erikk

Post by erikk »

Well, I filed a report, to which they replied "it smoothly transitioned from 3/4 to face, jumped back to 3/4 then transitions to face without an issue." Which is a good description of the problem. It shouldn't "jump back," it should smoothly transition back. I've responded and sent an ASP 6 and an ASP 7 file which should do the same thing but shows that the ASP 7 doesn't work for interpolation.

Seriously, this bug is major. This is core functionality for animation, and such a bug should be a show-stopper to be fixed before shipping. As normal with customer support, you report something that's mentioned all over the web boards for a product and they seem surprised to learn about it.

Corel is also guilty of this one with Painter problems (I had a Corel guy write and say he'd never heard of the problem, but then found a bunch of posts by people naming that very guy as a person who'd responded to them about the very same problem... when confronted, he made some lame comments and pretty much admitted that he was supposed to act like the problem didn't exist).

Smith Micro list a $9.95 fee for refunds. However, if they don't give me a good response and want to charge me this fee, I will bring it to the attention of both the Better Business Bureau and my credit card company.
themonster

Post by themonster »

Where I can buy an upgrade from anime studio 5 debut to ANIME STUDIO 6.5 PRO for windows?

I think that I don't going to buy ANIME STUDIO 7 PRO, for now..........

Why do you want to add, video tracking and physics when you need to work MORE on your tools for drawing and animations, libraries, layers, etc?

:shock:
i surprised with anime studio
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

themonster wrote:"Why do you want to add, video tracking and physics when you need to work MORE on your tools for drawing and animations, libraries, layers, etc?
I absolutely agree, it is a serious point of contention.

My fear is that Anime Studio, which was (and still is) so awesome for 2D animation will be surpassed eventually by Toon Boom or even Flash for my needs. I really like using AS, and it's certainly better than Flash for 2D character animation. For now. But that could change and AS has certainly rested on its laurels since AS5 for 2D tools. Sure AS6 has some nifty timeline functionality, but I'm told it has slipped back in other areas including timeline?

Imagine if there was no physics, no youtube, no 3D in AS, no sound tool integration, and the only areas of development had been 2D animation tools, drawing tools, library and referencing...

A real shame I think, and a missed opportunity. I find it hard to get my head around, and can only assume that "facebook!" and "works with poser!" are considered to look good on the box at the Apple shop. Otherwise it really does not make sense to me.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I would tend to agree that Facebook and Youtube uploads are not really my favorite features.

However the physics feature definitely is. I was working on an animation just before 7 came out and used MY OWN scripted layer physics to create the physics I needed. Now with built in physics I can do this better and easier in the application. The "bone dynamics" was severely lacking in my opinion and I believe that physics IS a very "Pro" feature. Many of you used bone dynamics and probably hoped for more.

The project consolidation feature is ALSO a great new feature for project management that was very much needed. That was ANOTHER feature I had just started trying to "script" on my own unsuccessfully which I don't need to do now.

Some of you feel the "simple" 3D effects in AS 7 aren't good enough. I myself didn't feel that the 3D in AS 7 was something I would use. Recently though I've seen some uses of it from other users that are really impressive. They look great and I can see now how that feature will come in handy.

-------------

AS is still a relatively young application from a marketing perspective compared to ToonBoom or Flash. It may seem to many of us long time users to have have been around a while but AS hasn't had a strong backing until Smith Micro acquired it. It's gone down a very shaky path to get where it is.

When Smith Micro purchased ALL of E-frontier's products they had to make HUGE changes to their entire company, not just add some applications to their existing product line. They also needed to make sure that the big sellers like Poser maintain their profit generation. Poser was and still is a hugely popular program. Integration with Anime Studio may not seem the best choice for a feature from the perspective of long time AS users but for integration with the Smith Micro product line this is a powerful feature and extends AS as well as the Poser feature set.

I am sure bugs will be addressed as quickly as possible in an upcoming patch whenever that is scheduled. I have no idea what schedule SM has for patches.

------------------

p.s. There are some bugs in Adobe's CS5 release. I doubt those will be addressed any faster than Smith Micro with AS. Even HUGE software companies aren't perfect.

-vern
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I think a lot of the concern is the lack of SM to respond with some kind of announcement that they are aware of the bugs and have people working on them. IMO if SM would just acknowledge and respond to the post in the bug thread or have an announcement on their web site a lot of these post about 'not buying AS7' or 'I'm getting a refund' wouldn't have been posted.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

heyvern wrote:It's gone down a very shaky path to get where it is.
I just hope that the path is not now shakier than ever.