My farewells

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

My farewells

Post by GCharb »

Hello all!

As some of you might have noticed, I am not pleased with the release of ASP 7, so I will ask for a refund and stop coming to this community as a mean of protest.

Those who would like to stay in touch, I will be on the unofficial Anime Studio forum.

I will use ASP for my upcoming 2 years project, but not as extensively as was previously planning. I will start a blog on the project shortly, on which I will post regularly.

ASP is a great piece of software, I am just not in accord with the direction Smith Micro is going with it and I feel it is going to affect it's development in an unpredictable way, so I will not have my whole project depend on it.

Take care all! :)

Gilles
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

WoW didn't expect this just from an upgrade. Ill register to that site to keep in touch as you been such a great person towards me.

peace out GC.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I hate these types of posts. You see them on forums all the time. They are written in the heat of the moment, way too soon. You should write this and sit on it for a few days or weeks. You could just "stop participating" without a grand gesture... but then... no one would KNOW you stopped participating. ;)

Wouldn't the braver thing to do be to KEEP participating? Who are you hurting the most by not participating? Smith Micro? No. You only hurt yourself and the other users of AS. If you don't participate no one will have a clue what you want. I like to think I've had some small influence on AS development. I get a warm glow if a suggestion gets in. I think my suggestions are heard because I was not demanding but suggesting, not tearing down but trying to build up.

The people who care are catching up on lost sleep and maybe taking some time off to replenish their brains after spending weeks, months on the latest version. I can assure you this post will be lost in a few days/weeks. If you stay on and participate you could still be heard. You might even feel differently.

-vern
PRIMAL MORON

Re: My farewells

Post by PRIMAL MORON »

GCharb wrote:Hello all!

As some of you might have noticed, I am not pleased with the release of ASP 7, so I will ask for a refund and stop coming to this community as a mean of protest.

Those who would like to stay in touch, I will be on the unofficial Anime Studio forum.

I will use ASP for my upcoming 2 years project, but not as extensively as was previously planning. I will start a blog on the project shortly, on which I will post regularly.

ASP is a great piece of software, I am just not in accord with the direction Smith Micro is going with it and I feel it is going to affect it's development in an unpredictable way, so I will not have my whole project depend on it.

Take care all! :)

Gilles
Been here, done this...
Vern just said some of my thoughts aloud, But I actually experienced this feeling, I KNOW you are trying to do something you think is important.
Let me tell you this: This type of argument never got me anywhere, this argument will most certainly not help you, either.
People will move on.
I had some faith in you, as an admirer, but maybe this will sum it up better.

Forums are like life: We create our place in the world as a birth of sorts, we live through experiences, both hindering and prosperous, we gain knowledge of our friends, we mature and find out how to work out problems, we get a job in a sense of doing what we feel in necessary to survive here, we gain ranks of promotion and trust or distrust of others, then things get old, we are tired of this forum life, we leave this life, and our bodies of text decay to life, anew, to our follow up generations, and the cycle of life, begins again...

Primal Moron, 2010

At 17 years of age, I might not as many years of experience to back me up, but I'm learning, and I'm willing to learn.
I don't know if this'll make a difference to you, but I want to be heard, and do things right.
Which leaves one important question: Will you return with the yearn to learn?
I hope so, I have faith in you...

That's all for now.

-PM
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Hi GCharb,

I can understand your frustration that you invested time and energy into learning AS only to discover that it may not be right for your project.

But I do hope you'll continue to visit the forum, especially if you still intend to work with AS. You add a lot to this community sharing your knowledge and making people feel welcome. Whatever you chose to do, thanks for all you've already done here. :)
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Sorry to see you go GCharb. As I have looked forward to your post in the past. But I can understand your frustration. I would have like to see more bugs fixed and of course, my own feature request. But there's not a lot you can do sometimes. Either way, enjoy animating no matter how or what you're doing it with. ;)
Tagirijus

Post by Tagirijus »

Hello Gilles, Hi the others,

Actually I am quite some kind of very new in this community. Maybe my words will still be heard: I want to ask if I may know what problem exactly exists?

Sure, people could ask, why I want to know this even if I do not know Gilles and could ignore him. Otherwise I can say: I'm very curious about things. :)

Manu

Edit: Just to make something clear: my post is not intended to be negative or something; this would only seem to be like this because of my bad english! Sorry :)
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

I'm so mad about AS7 that I'm wearing rubber shorts and a hair shirt until they add decent frame-by-frame. And I am not touching myself again down there until they address ease in and ease out. They way I'm going, they have about 20 minutes to fix it.
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Thinking about it, I am questioning Smith Micro's tactics in general. Even if i wanted to, i can't redownload purchases which I had bought previously before the redesign of content paradise - AND I PAYED EXTRA FOR EXTENDED DOWNLOAD - which is still valid.

Now they want us to provide credit card details - personal credit card details for a trial version?

I'm sorry. I don't agree with all of this. They want loyal customers then treat customers better than this.
Hey, maybe i will walk as well.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

madrobot wrote:I'm so mad about AS7 that I'm wearing rubber shorts and a hair shirt until they add decent frame-by-frame. And I am not touching myself again down there until they address ease in and ease out. They way I'm going, they have about 20 minutes to fix it.
Ha ha! Someone's still got their sense of humour...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

I agree with madrobot i would like AS had a better frame by frame.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Bon voyage GCharb, I hope you come back one day.
I find a good change of avatar can make it easier. :wink:
I think my issues are completely different from yours GCharb, but it's funny how expectations can be crushed so easily, mine cos expected to be test driving the new features you are so disappointed in.
SM are going a bit on the nose , more spammier everyday, more expensive (and smaller) releases, more often. As if we can't see through this.
In Aussieland we'd say "'strewth Mate, fair bite on the battered sav!" really we talk like that.
Madrobot... my black rubber flange pants went missing last time you were round... any chance of seeing em again? They really help control my 'condition' :oops:
Last edited by chucky on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I'm very sorry to see you go GCharb. I hope you will change your mind. There are great things in the new AS 7 and there's no evidence it's development will be affected in "an unpredictable way".
However, I do understand and respect your reasons. See you ....'over there' sometime :D
barryem

Re: My farewells

Post by barryem »

GCharb wrote:ASP is a great piece of software, I am just not in accord with the direction Smith Micro is going with it and I feel it is going to affect it's development in an unpredictable way, so I will not have my whole project depend on it.
You don't like the direction AS is taking, but nothing has really changed much. You say it points to their changing direction but this is one upgrade; not a series of upgrades, and that's not enough to establish a pattern or a direction.

You're not by any chance descended from the editors of the Literary Digest, the magazine that did the poll that predicted that Alf Landon would win the Presidency by a landslide against FDR in the 1936 presidential race.

Anybody remember President Landon? :)

Barry
Fergus

Post by Fergus »

I'm very new here, and so might be speaking out of turn, but I'm wondering if a small but possibly useful step might be to open a thread or two with the key ideas (either philosophy or feature) people would like to see develop in future.

In fact, I'll do that right now and see what takers we might get... This might tell us whether others share these sort of concerns.