Illustrator import in ASP7

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

InfoCentral

Illustrator import in ASP7

Post by InfoCentral »

Has the importing of Illustrator files improved in ASP7?

Have they added any more import/export file formats in ASP7?
theotherguy

Post by theotherguy »

If they don't , then it's not worth the upgrade price. I've been following the threads and I fear it's starting to veer into Toonboom territory...
psaldari

Post by psaldari »

Read my post...
viewtopic.php?t=16661
No replys for now...

Paolo
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

It's difficult for developers to constantly support ANOTHER company's software format, like Adobe Illustrator. Currently the AI import is very good with in limits. It can never be "perfect" due to the difference of the curve descriptions. The current version does a good job and does not create as many points as in earlier versions.

I have done a LOT of research with my own personal application development regarding SVG and AS vector format. However I am trying to the other way and convert AS vectors to SVG. The two are VERY different. The conversion is not a simple matter. Adobe Illustrator is capable of opening and converting SVG. There are other applications that can convert SVG to eps or other formats that could be imported into AS.

SVG is an open source vector format, however it is NOT hugely popular or widely supported compared to AI or EPS.

Also with lua support in AS there is nothing stopping someone like... me... or even you, from developing an SVG importer for AS. Knock yourself out.

To say this ONE feature makes AS unworthy of the upgrade is misleading and shortsighted. It's only one feature. It does work and it works quit well. I use it infrequently but when I do I am quit happy with the results. I do have to redraw circles but that is simple.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

heyvern wrote:SVG is an open source vector format, however it is NOT hugely popular or widely supported compared to AI or EPS.
Adobe Illustrator uses pdf for its file format and has now since before the CS versions. What are we up to now...CS5? When you import into Toon Boom you import your pdf files which it handles quite nicely. I do believe that pdf is a common file format these days...
Genete

Post by Genete »

heyvern wrote:SVG is an open source vector format, however it is NOT hugely popular or widely supported compared to AI or EPS.
Sorry but SVG is the standard for the W3C. So maybe it is not very popular but it is hugely supported.
See how applications import and export SVG:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... ts:_Import
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... ts:_Export
-G
psaldari

Post by psaldari »

heyvern wrote:It's difficult for developers to constantly support ANOTHER company's software format, like Adobe Illustrator...
Yes, it's true, and the .ai format is Adobe property; if Adobe decide to change anything in the .ai format the developers are in a lot of troubles, for this thing using file formats like .ai is not a good idea.
heyvern wrote:I have done a LOT of research with my own personal application development regarding SVG and AS vector format. However I am trying to the other way and convert AS vectors to SVG. The two are VERY different. The conversion is not a simple matter. Adobe Illustrator is capable of opening and converting SVG. There are other applications that can convert SVG to eps or other formats that could be imported into AS.
Thank's for this info, but remember the AS eps import is to bad... (see my previous post)
heyvern wrote:SVG is an open source vector format, however it is NOT hugely popular or widely supported compared to AI or EPS..
I don't know in windows, but in the Mac all the vector softwares, that I have tried, can import and export SVG format.
Like has said Genete, SVG is a W3C standard and probably is a good time investment for the developers.

Paolo
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

The difference, I think, is that most softwares works with the same principle: handles.

Anime Studio has its own way to create and modify curves. Personally, I think that's one of the biggest features, it breaks the paradigm and offer uniques features, like weld as many lines as you want on only one point or split a shape in two to create two or more fills on only one form.

One think which is interesting about no having handless, is that you have only one channel for point position. with handless you would have three points moving around (the main point and its two handless).

But that feature is not free and make AS to swimming upstream, that's why it's harder to import vectors from other softwares which uses the Illustrator paradigm (or whatever name it has).

Importing vector files have been improved, but I think it never will be perfect, because it's an "interpretation" and not a direct translation.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel