AS7

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Congrats to the SM Team. That was a quick turnaround time. I'm looking forward to finding a way to get hold of the new version. Some really cool new features, I look forward to playing with the 2D to 3D feature. Didn't think I'd want something like that but as Henry Ford apparently said "If I asked people what they wanted, they'd have said faster horses."

Ahsim.

Mike
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

GCarb didn't ask and I didn't see it in the bumph so I will raise the thorny question, did the 3D (stereo) colour output renderer make ASP 7?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Rhoel wrote:GCarb didn't ask and I didn't see it in the bumph so I will raise the thorny question, did the 3D (stereo) colour output renderer make ASP 7?
Same as before as far as I can see!
kavlor

Post by kavlor »

Physics is very easy to use once you realise you have to put things in groups.I did a physics simulation by hand before AS7 came out so Id be curious how it looks in comparison.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

GCharb wrote:
Rhoel wrote:GCarb didn't ask and I didn't see it in the bumph so I will raise the thorny question, did the 3D (stereo) colour output renderer make ASP 7?
Same as before as far as I can see!
:-(. Considering a European producer told me last month he is no longer financing anything not in S2D, this isn't good news.

Anyone interested in 3DTV might like to learn some of the World Cup in South Africa is being broadcast in 3D.

Rhoel
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Awesome. I live in South Africa and I had a chat to someone who works with stereoscopic stuff. Not a big soccer fan but the country's collective consciousness, or at least the media will have us believe, has been gearing up for this sporting event for a while.

Here's hoping it goes well.

I look forward to seeing any 3D stuff. Won't much much difference, I don't think, seeing soccer players in 3D from a long shot but for the close shots would be kind of cool.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Rhoel,

Looks like we have to keep working on a good scripting solution for rendering 3D from the standard view. I pretty much put the idea on hold with the hopes Mike would do it. However I don't think it's impossible to do. I think the key is to create two files from one based on... well.... whatever the math is to determine it, then load them up in the batch renderer.

3D might be the future according to the studios and directors who want people to go see movies in a theater... but... hmm... I still think there is a slim chance that it might not actually catch on as a standard. Especially in the "independent" market that AS is aimed at. When Hollywood was shooting 32 mm, independent film makers were shooting 16. Low budget is always a bit behind the technology. I have young nephews, high school age, who HATE 3D with a passion. They can't stand it and won't go see a movie in 3D. One of my nephews gets nauseous.

I still feel a bit tired watching a movie in 3D. Plus when it comes out on DVD/bluray it's 2D. They still don't have a commercially viable "home" 3D viewing system. I don't think I need to see EVERYTHING in 3D unless it's "free viewing" which is going to be years down the road. I wear glasses and I have to wear 3D glasses on top of my prescription glasses. It's annoying.

-vern
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello all!

Sales predictions for 3DTV sets are 20 millions for the end of 2011
Panasonic sold out on it's 3DTV sets within a week, then went backorder, Samsung went backorder as well, now are back in business.

I made a deal with a distributor who want a bluray 3DTV of what I proposed them after I showed them what I had in mind.

So yes, I believe 3D is the future and yes the technology is not quite there yet but if no one embraces 3DTV, it will never be there.

Last night I played with ASP 7, had great fun, but frankly, I became a bit diseapointed. ASP could have gone by without some of the toys Mike put in 7, not that the work he has made is not apreciated, but does ASP need physics?

I see ASP turning into an hybrid 2d/3d software, which could be dangerous since professional 2D animators could be turned off by the 3D toys, while the newbies could be intimidated by the more technical aspect of 3D.

To integrate 2D and 3D is also the wave of the future so better shading is good, some of the 3D tools are nice, but as an old school 2D animator I do not need them.

As it is, ASP makes me think of Photoshop CS4, they took a great raster drawing tool and photo manipulation software and turned it into a cheap 3D texturing tool, CS4 was a diseapointment for most long time Photoshop users like me.

ASP is a kickass 2D animation software, why not develop this aspect instead of venturing in something that might denature it. I also understand the views of Smith Micro who wants to integrate Poser into the package, Poser being one of their products, but to me it seems a waist of time for a product that cannot push it to an acceptable level for commercial work but has the tag professional attached to it.

As for stereorendering, I started to learn Lua, seems simple enough compared to the other scripting language like perl or PHP, so I will pitch in for a solution.

G
Imago

Post by Imago »

I'm surprised about the price...
I think 130$ for old users are too much... I was expecting an higher discount!
I bought the same software two times... Why I have to buy it for the third time without a good discount? :cry:

I think Anime Studio is a great software... But it's killing me!
For months I used Anime Studio 5.5 suffering for the "digital divide" caused by the version 6. Finally I buy Debut 6 and... I have to suffer that "digital divide" again due the 7 version...

I'll cry! :cry:
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
heiseman

Post by heiseman »

So how's the easing in/out in ASP7? Has it improved? Are there adjustable velocity curves yet?
Imago

Post by Imago »

A little curiosity:
ASP 7 still has old functions like Blend morph, onionskin, grid and other stuff that lacks on Debut?
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Imago wrote:A little curiosity:
ASP 7 still has old functions like Blend morph, onionskin, grid and other stuff that lacks on Debut?
Yes
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Imago wrote:ASP 7 still has old functions like Blend morph, onionskin, grid and other stuff that lacks on Debut?
Yes it does, those are exactly the same.

I really wish Blend Morph had been improved upon! :?

I know, I am an old kranky man! :)

G
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I'm having a blast playing with the Physics. This part of the upgrade was worth the 130 bucks alone imo.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I'm digging the basic 3d. It's perfect for my background reference models.

It also seems to display objs better than 5.6 (all the edges display nicely), and they also render better, but much more slowly... Is that the case for others? Maybe this change occurred in version 6, which I skipped.