AS7

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

lwaxana wrote:I'm digging the basic 3d. It's perfect for my background reference models.

It also seems to display objs better than 5.6 (all the edges display nicely), and they also render better, but much more slowly... Is that the case for others? Maybe this change occurred in version 6, which I skipped.
From what I read here is that 7 can use 4 cores to render and is much faster at rendering if your machine has more than 1 core but if you only have one core it's a tad slower but isn't anything that really bothers me.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I only rendered a single frame. I saw my character and AS 3d models gradually render in. Then there was a big pause. (4-5 sec?) Then the obj showed up in the render. It doesn't actually affect me because I won't be rendering my 3d stuff, just using it as reference.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello again!

About the rendering difference between ASP6 and ASP7...

I made another render test, this time, I used only the fourth core of my system for both.

I turned off every thing on that core, so no OS or utility was running on it but ASP6 and 7, here are the result for that same 72 frames, fairly complex scene rendered with same settings.

ASP 6, 14 minutes 1 second
ASP 7, 14 minutes 6 seconds

About the same, hope this helps.

G
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Hmm... maybe the four-five second delay rendering an .obj was just a fluke. I just did back to back tests with ASP5.6 and ASP7. The ASP5.6 was virtually instantaneous. The ASP7 took maybe 5 seconds the first time but then when I rendered the same model again, even at different angles, it took less than 1 second (but not as fast as 5.6). But the rendering I used in ASP7 was the cool Toon rendering shown below. So maybe that accounts for the difference.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I used a project made in AS6 debut to test render speeds in AS6 and AS7, maybe stuff made with 7 will be faster.
Sorry for bad animation

GCharb

Post by GCharb »

lwaxana, ASP7 did not render the colored roof?

G
dazza101

Post by dazza101 »

I have only been playing with the AS Pro 7 for a few hours, but one thing to take note of is that the multi-core rendering only applies to rendering to AVI and MOV, not SWF, which still appears to be a single core process.
chucky

Post by chucky »

It all looks pretty good, I want to ASPRO7 show my animation friends who are coming today, I'm sure they would love to demo it especially now we can port real 3d rigs to directly interact with 2d without comping programs.
And can use paths for animated characters - a feature that is a deal-maker IMO.
Unfortunately, I can see that these demos will not happen and purchases will not be made and the word of ASPRO7's greatness will not spread.
Why.......?
That an easy question to answer.

I love this software, haven't tried the new version yet, though I a foaming at the mouth to do so. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Austrailian_dogs

Post by Austrailian_dogs »

It all looks pretty good, I want to ASPRO7 show my animation friends who are coming today, I'm sure they would love to demo it especially now we can port real 3d rigs to directly interact with 2d without comping programs.
And can use paths for animated characters - a feature that is a deal-maker IMO.
Unfortunately, I can see that these demos will not happen and purchases will not be made and the word of ASPRO7's greatness will not spread.
Why.......?
That an easy question to answer.

I love this software, haven't tried the new version yet, though I a foaming at the mouth to do so. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sequential Austrailian Dead Dog
Rhoel

3DTV Stereoscopic rendering

Post by Rhoel »

heyvern wrote:Rhoel,

Looks like we have to keep working on a good scripting solution for rendering 3D from the standard view.
Hi Mike, Vern, GCarb, not a gripe on ASP7 - I am using my 3D script and it works for what I am doing. ToonBoom is out in stereo so I had hoped we would be too ......

As for the future of 3D - despite being in Cambodia, a country with analogue 4:3 terrestrial TV often shot on HandiCams, we have 3D here. I even have a 3D head-mounted display at home which plugs into my laptop or iPhone/iPod. America seems to have been asleep at the wheel on this one and I'm still not sure it has woken up to what has happened. We might disagree on the future of 3D but I am in zero doubt where this is going, and neither are the broadcasters/industry producers I am talking too - it is BIG, really significantly big (I'm not allowed to use the F word here but you understand): I'm contractually bound not to discuss something happening here in Cambodia - hopefully I can reveal more in a month or two. But if Cambodia is involved with 3DTV, you know something big is underway.

There are legitimate discussions on how to get the best out of 3D, whether convergence (in Camera) should be permitted or not. I have started a set out 3D tutorials which I hope to post soon - an intruder in my bedroom who stole my jeans containing camera, wallet & ATM cards, house keys and worst, my passport, visa ad work documents has taken all my free time to sort out: Being in a foreign country without a passport or any legal papers is something most people won't have to worry about, but its a minor inconvenience: It has the potential to be a major inconvenience. Hopefully I can get back to the tutorials in the next week or so.

I requested this before but it slipped the radar: It would be very good to have a stereo-rendering/ 3DTV topic area. It is very clear from the industry and hobbyists alike the interest in 3D will support it. From a marketing point of view, it is fully justified - the Google searches on 3D are topping the lists at the moment and people will be drawn to the AS forum if we have a dedicated 3D Q&A area. Great way to get new members and users of ASP 7.

If anyone wants to work on the 3D script, please PM me for the maths block I have - I'll make up a PDF outlining the problems we have to address. But the actual 3D positioning formula is written, tested and it works fine. Just the LUA interface to complete.

Rhoel
Imago

Post by Imago »

I'm about to purchase the ASP 7 upgrade from Debut 6.

Due my small money possession it's an hard blow for me...

Tell me the truth: ASP 7 be worth it? :?
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Imago wrote:I'm about to purchase the ASP 7 upgrade from Debut 6.

Due my small money possession it's an hard blow for me...

Tell me the truth: ASP 7 be worth it? :?
I also upgraded from debut to pro and not only do I need to learn the new tools I need to learn the basic pro tools. So I can not really answer this for you other than say for me it was way worth it just for the basic Pro tools.
Sorry for bad animation

GCharb

Post by GCharb »

dazza101 wrote:I have only been playing with the AS Pro 7 for a few hours, but one thing to take note of is that the multi-core rendering only applies to rendering to AVI and MOV, not SWF, which still appears to be a single core process.
Havnt tried swf export, but I can tell it works also really well for TGA export.

G
Imago

Post by Imago »

I have another question about ASP 7 Before I buy it:
The language of integrated Lip-Sync feature can be modified or it's locked to english? I need the italian stuff too!
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Rhoel wrote:It would be very good to have a stereo-rendering/ 3DTV topic area
I agree on this one, sign me up.

3DTV is a huge thing, like I said in a previous post, they are forecasting 20 millions sets sold by 2011, two major vendors, Panasonic and Samsung went backorder in a very short time.

Most studios have announced 3D production on a massive scale, even independant producers have plans for it.

Many channels also announced 3DTV programming, in sports for one!

America is going 3D, so let's not get left behind!

ASP 7 introduced many new cool 3D tools, I am a bit stumped as to why a stereo camera setup was not introduced as well, anaglyph just does not cut it any more.

Like Rhoel said, ToonBoom went all stereo in it's latest incarnation of Animate Pro 2. Even at a higher price, this could lead many serious animators to ToonBoom since the popularity of 3D is so high.

Vern spoke of his nephew not liking 3D movies, well, I live close to a large theater and I can tell that 3D movies attract a huge crowd, even during the week.

Rhoel is working on stereo scripts, I will pitch in, but not sure how much can be done in scripting at that level, still going through the scripting data I got.

G