Slow drawing in AS Pro 6.x

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Post by DK »

Hi GCharb.

I totally agree. I have experienced severe slowdown of drawing in AS 6. It seems to be related to the amount of layers I create. The more the slower AS gets. I have reverted to using 5.6. But...you never know what's around the corner ;)

Cheers
D.K
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

DK wrote:I totally agree. I have experienced severe slowdown of drawing in AS 6. It seems to be related to the amount of layers I create. The more the slower AS gets. I have reverted to using 5.6. But...you never know what's around the corner
Hello DK

Same here, back to 5.6, but like I said, if they resolve this in 6.x, then I will gladly install it again! :)

G
wena

Post by wena »

Hi all

Reviews of the AS 6.2 tell's us that this is even more computer power, some I know have even refused to use it (specially the text section).

I for one needed to reinstall and looked on SM web to look for the 6.1 and I was told it was unavailable. I found eventually that I had the installable one.

Wena
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I have 6.0 .1 and .2, all have the same problem.

As DK said, it is related to layers, I tested it, the more layers I put on, the slower it gets.

Hard to say if this could be reposted as a bug or a feature request.

G
TheChewanater

Post by TheChewanater »

wena wrote:It is undeniable, I think that animation and all it's workings do generate file fragmentation.
Fragmentation is generated by the NT kernel and its mediocre filesystem. Therefore, AS will only do anything causing fragmentation while it's writing new files. "Animation and all its workings" probably only read and write to memory (not harddrive), so if it's causing fragmentation, it must be writing a ton of temporary files to your hard drive.
ImageImage
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I run windows 7 here and I use Norton tools to keep my system defragmented and it monitors system activity and it is not reporting files being written to the drive.

If drive fragmentation was the proble, then this would affect all softwares, not only AS Pro.

Also, this would not explain why it gets slower as my scene builds up, I am not saving anything to file while I am working.

Has to be somethingelse
jeit_confirmia

Post by jeit_confirmia »

The question is, Is Smith Micro responsible for stealing their Legal customers privacy? :shock:
I heard somewhere about a "Phising Attack" happened on SmithMicros Anime Studios Download pages. Can't remember where and was detected by Kaspersky internet security 2010 :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Slow drawing speed is nearly always a problem of the graphics card, not of the hard drive.

On the Mac this is easier to tackle because Apple only uses a small number of cards. On PC, there are too many different ones available, so a developer can't test all of them.
DK

Post by DK »

It was a problem with AS6.

D.K
Genete

Post by Genete »

I bet that the problem comes from a lua script interface problem. It is not a memory issue, cpu issue or disc defragmentation. It is related to some kind of bottle neck that happens when the tool (draw, add point, translate bone. etc.) do its search loop. For some reason the access form lua to the data is getting slower in the new versions, maybe due to the fact that the tools scripts do more things in each new version or that the data has more information, I don't know.
-G
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

I am glad to hear that I'm not he only one experiencing this. Sometimes it becomes so painfully slow that it's hardly usable.

I have closed the program and re-started, and sometimes that seems to help. It's like it's accumulating slowness. Another thing I noticed is that when I start working on a fresh layer, it's a little faster, and hiding other layers helps too.

I hope this is fixed soon too. I like Anime Studio, but it's slowness sometimes negates it's benefits. I suspect that this is because it's written in Lua script and not machine code.

If it's a problem with the display card, what display cards are recommended?
DK

Post by DK »

There is no probelm with the display card ;)

Cheers
D.K
wena

Post by wena »

DK,

Your masterful declaration encouraged me, I am of the same opinion. As for fragmentation I made a point, of noting the number of files, before and after going through a deep fragmentation (optimizing) there where 470 fragmented, and none afterwords. Certainly my AS dose mot freez afterwerds.

Wena
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Seems to me DK knows something but made a pact with the devil and cannot tell :)

In any case, I am sure the problem will be solved and we will see amazing speed improvment in AS Pro 6 in a near future!
wena

Post by wena »

The above mail by Toailite is spam and there seems to be no way of reporting it to the admun????

Wena