Slow drawing in AS Pro 6.x

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

Slow drawing in AS Pro 6.x

Post by GCharb »

Hello all

Anyone else experienced slowdown drawing in AS Pro 6.x, especially compared to 5.6?

I am talking slow to a crawl in very specific steps like adding points and draging, like you click and drag to add a point but it takes several seconds before anything happens.

If I create the same pic in AS Pro 5.6 it is all fine, if I import into 6.x, then all goes slow.

Here is the image I am working on, nothing special, only 5 layers so far!

Genete

Post by Genete »

Loose of performance is noticeable if the computer is "not so fast". I have a Dual core AMD 2.2 GHz HP pavillion laptop and it does lag noticeable compared to 5.6 when do the following:
Click and drag bones, layer, camera, magnet tool, etc. When I release the mouse there is a lag of time where the mouse is not released and then if I just release and move then I ruin the last position.
It is annoying yes, but in the workstation (intel quadcore 2,6 GHz) doesn't happen at all.

-G
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello Genete, thanks for the reply

I have quad core Phenom II 965
8 gigs of DDR3 1800 mhz
Geforce 9800 GT 512 mb
Windows 7 64 bits

Plenty of power here!

Oh well, 6.x has some tools I really need, like better control over gradients and such.

Hopefully it will be fixed in some release!

G
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

That's strange, as I have not experienced any slow downs here and I use a single core processor. I do all the usual stuff, multiple layers, 3D building, and so forth. Here's my pc specs...

AMD 4000+ 2.4Ghz
2 GB PC2700
Nvidia GT220 1GB (not that it helps with AS anyway, being non-hardware accelerated application)
WIN XP Home SP3 & Ubuntu

It could easily vary on the OS being used too.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

is that the only thing you got running is AS with that skull? If so that lag is from something else besides AS.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

J.Baker wrote:That's strange, as I have not experienced any slow downs here and I use a single core processor. I do all the usual stuff, multiple layers, 3D building, and so forth.
Yeah, I use Softimage and Combustion on that system and they fly, so does AS Pro 5.6.

In 6.x, the more I build, the slower it gets, while the building of the same image in 5.6 keeps flying, then, if I import the 5.6 scene in 6.x, it slows to a crawl.

Maybe it is Windows 7, dunno.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Well it could be very well be something in AS6 that's only effected in an OS newer than XP. If I remember right, doesn't WIN 7 do some kind of XP emulation or something, to get XP software to run? I could be totally off but it's a thought.

As for Softimage and Combustion, they use hardware acceleration. Where AS is software only (cpu).
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

J.Baker wrote:If I remember right, doesn't WIN 7 do some kind of XP emulation or something, to get XP software to run?
Yeah, compatibility mode, both 5.6 and 6.2 do not pass the compatibility test, so I ran both in compatibility mode, no luck.

What I did try that worked, is lowering monitor resolution, I went from 1920X1200 to 1360X768, that solved it pretty much!

Seems AS Pro 6.x is a resource hog.
sbtamu wrote:is that the only thing you got running is AS with that skull? If so that lag is from something else besides AS.
Hell sbtamu, sorry, did not see you there :)

It does the same with any complex file I got, when drawing I use allot of points, this slows pretty much everything down at high resolution.

I will reconsider Illustrator for my drawings.

Thanks to both of you.

G
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I usually start to lag if i get around 2000 frames with alot of colors and voices and animations. To get around this i usually render right after a zoom in or out, or if i cut to a dif toon. And just bring it all together in a movie editor.

One bad habit i have is not naming my files in some kind of order and spend hrs having to open them back up just to see what it is before i import to editing.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello again!
sbtamu wrote:I usually start to lag if i get around 2000 frames with alot of colors and voices and animations.
The problem here seems more related to having many points at high resoultion screen.

Anyhow, I spent the last two days learning Illustrator cs4 and Coreldraw x5, both are great vector drawing apps.

They both have tons of tools to facilitate vector drawings, but, I am pretty sure I could do the same with AS Pro 5.6 with the toolset we have in it.

So I will keep at it for the time being hoping the speed problem will be fixed in 6.x eventually.

I am working on designs for t-shirts, I will post them when I am done.
wena

Post by wena »

Hi when my computer starts running slow, I use "Smart Defrag" special when I instruct it to do a deep optimizer, and faster than Microsoft.

What is more you can get it free.

Wena
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

wena wrote:Hi when my computer starts running slow, I use "Smart Defrag" special when I instruct it to do a deep optimizer, and faster than Microsoft.
Just downloaded it, nice utility, thanks! :)

G
wena

Post by wena »

Yes, it is a great little utility, I find that Anime studio fragments the hard drive a lot. So when it begins to slaw down I us the fragment er.

By the way, I did find that when I had used it a lot on one of my caddies it did couse some truble. Or that might have been that I had dropped the caddy.

Wena
TheChewanater

Post by TheChewanater »

You know, EXT file systems don't require defragging.
ImageImage
wena

Post by wena »

I do very much agree with TheChewanater,

but the library, brushes, and all sorts of art work in it do. That is what animation is all about.

I use photographs (not so much the animation) a lot and one of them can take up a lot of space. Then there is film, I use.

It is undeniable, I think that animation and all it's workings do generate file fragmentation.

Wena