Keeping grid from moving

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JCook

Keeping grid from moving

Post by JCook »

I'm using the grid to draw a bunch of lines which I'm then going to manipulate and make switch layers from. I'm using three different image files as references for how to draw the lines. I decided to use the grid as a snapping tool, and have set it to match the spacing of the lines in the images, but the images don't line up with the grid. So I want to move the image layer just slightly so they line up with the grid, but when I move the layer with the layer tool the grid moves with it. I don't use the grid that often, so I never noticed that it does this. Is there a way to keep the grid stationary so I can move the image layer?

thanks,
Jack
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Yes, that behaviour is odd and not really useful. Workaround:
- vector layer with a square in the grid you want to work in
- image layer

Copy the square to the grid and make a checkerboard pattern, so the grid's spacing is visible even when you're on another layer.
Nudge the image layer until everything fits.
Erase the squares and do whatever you wanted to.
JCook

Post by JCook »

Thanks, Slowtiger. I'll give that workaround a try. You're right - the grid's behavior is not very useful; maybe that's why I don't use it very much.

thanks,
Jack
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The grid not only moves with translation, but also rotation, including 3D rotation. This way, you can rotate a layer around the Y axis (for example) and then have a snapping grid that lets you draw in perspective.

Each layer in effect has its own grid. When you move the image layer, the grid for the image layer moves with it, but if you go back to the vector layer that grid should be in the original location.
JCook

Post by JCook »

What I wanted to do was line up the image with the grid, and then line up other things with it as well, so I wanted the grid to not move. I can see some usefulness in having a grid that can move with a layer, rotate, etc., but mainly when I use a grid it's as a reference for aligning things, so I'd rather have the grid not move. I ended up making my own reference grid, similar to the way slowtiger mentioned.

Jack
jeff

Post by jeff »

Of course, sometimes you'll want the grid's behaviour to be as it already is in the program and sometimes you want it to stay permanently fixed. As advised above, it's very easy to make some simple reference pattern yourself in a separate level.

An extra trick is then to make your reference grid level immune to camera movements (it's an option in the level menu). Then the grid you have created stays absolutely fixed even in camera moves.

Just remember to switch off that level before you render!