Unwanted keyframe interpolation in StepMode - Is this a bug?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Animark

Unwanted keyframe interpolation in StepMode - Is this a bug?

Post by Animark »

Hello together,

I am new to AS 6, but tested a lot with AS 5.6. I prefer to animate rigged characters frame by frame (on 2's) with NO interpolation. To do that I set the default keyframe interpolation to step. That works fine in AS 5.6.

But what is happen in AS 6? Here is a little workaround for everybody to check my problem:

1. open AS 6 (with that funny sword girl)
2. set the default interpolation (in preferences) to "Step"
3. move the arms of the characters with the "manipulate bone tool" and animate some keyframes on the timeline on 2's (or 3's, ...). On 2's means that you have to set keyframes every 2 frames. When you flip this animation, it holds the position of a bone after every key till the next key comes. No interpolation - that's what I want.
4. Now, go to a frame maybe 2 or 4 frames in the timeline after your arm animation and move the head, or another part of her.

When you now check your animation you will see, that AS 6 added some movements to the head and also to the arms. AS 6 interpolates between keys.

Is that a bug or what am I doing wrong? I hope it's not a bug, because it would make AS 6 unusable for me.

It would be great, if someone could check this workflow and can report his results. Also, if there are some hints or coments about that problem.

Thanks a lot from Animark
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Remember that you have to create keyframes on frame #1 as well!

Otherwise AS will interpolate from frame #0 to your first keyframe on position #6. The keys on frame #0 are by default "smooth", this doesn't change with setting all other keyframes to step or whatever.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

You could try setting the frame rate to 12 fps, or once you've set the keys, highlight all of them and right-click on one of them and set to STEP.
Animark

Post by Animark »

Thanks for the answers,

but nothing changed. Wether or not I create keys on frame 1 or select all keys and set to step - AS 6 interpolates between the keys. Not every Bone, but some.

Did you tested my workaround? It takes not longer than about 2 minutes.

By the way, working in 12fps is not an option. My personel timing (coming from classical handdrawn animation) is on 24/25 Frames and often I mix between animating on 1's and on 2's. When the camera moves for example.

Is there an option in AS 6 to see all channels in the timeline?

(5 minutes later:) :o

I tested again and this time, slowtigers hints are working. I had to change the settings of the keys at frame #0 to "step". They changed and all interpolation at my animation was removed.

That looks a little bit strange to me. I will test it on some more complex animations. When it works, its OK.

Thanks a lot !
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Works for me as long as you change frame 0 to "step".

To key all the bones and all the channels of the bones just key 1 bone first on a frame past 0 (frame 1 is a good choice. That's what I use.). Put in a key for all the channels on one bone, angle, translation, scale. Channels are visible now. Right click the key frame on 0 for ALL bones and set it to step. This will set ALL keys for ALL bones to step interpolation on frame 0.

Even if a bone doesn't have a key on a frame other than 0 setting step ON frame 0 will put in the step interpolation. ALL bones have keys for ALL channels on frame 0 whether you can see it or not. On other frames this is not always the case. On other frames past zero a bone must have a key to use the "All Bone" channel to change the interpolation. On frame 0 all bones have keys so you can just set it for all bones in one shot.

Now just animate away and you are good to go.

-vern
Animark

Post by Animark »

OK, cool, it works fine.

Thanks for you all, now I have a working workflow and some background knowledge, to understand, why it works in this way.