should this be taking this long

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

basshole

should this be taking this long

Post by basshole »

So I'm trying to render out this 70 second scene as a 1920x1080 24fps BMP image sequence, and this thing has been going for hours. It's definitely moving, but it seems like it finishes a frame every couple minutes. Is that right?

the facts--
I have an Imac 2.4 ghz 3GB RAM.
there are many layers in the project
I have set effects on some layers, like gradients, spots, etc.

Is that just the way it is with the hardware I have?

tried a reboot at one point, no difference.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Been there, done that ...

Yes, HDTV takes loooong. The more layers, the longer. The more layer effects, the longer.

I'd definitely search for things to simplify before doing a final render. Duplicate your file and see if it can be flattened somehow. Do you have a background of many layers? Do they move against each other? If not, render them together once, then re-import as one image layer.
basshole

Post by basshole »

Oh. That background thing is clever. No, no scrolling layers. It all moves at once or it doesn't move. What if I just consolidate the layers into one? It's all vector shapes on different layers. I can't remember why at the moment, but there was some reason I created them separately (couch is separate layer from wall, etc.). I guess if characters don't interact with them, it could all be on one layer. And maybe my walls don't need that blotchy pattern. Maybe they can just be a solid color.

Can I ask a dumb question? When rendering, does it only take into account what's in the camera's frame, or does stuff you never see (layers, etc.) factor into how long it takes each frame to render?
Last edited by basshole on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

`Make sure that things that are outisde the render window are turned OFF for visibility. Because AS will render EVERYTHING even if its not in view, for every frame. Make sure that if something's outside the viewable window, its turned off for the time its not visible. Especially particle effects. Man those take long.

I bet you have some effects going on like particles or something. That slows things down considerably.
basshole

Post by basshole »

No particles. I do have muliple backgrounds, and characters, not all of which need to be visible all the time. Good point. I didn't see your post before I asked my dumb question up there.

Does the visibility thing affect general performance in ASP? What I mean is, if I turn off visibility on stuff on a given frame that won't be seen, will I get better real time playback and related things?
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Yes.

Turning things off will give you better playback.

Bones also slow things down for realtime playback.

Let's say you have multiple background layers stacked on top of each other. Even if you don't see any of the layers behind the top-most layer, AS will render every single one on those layers for each frame, slowing things down unnecessarily.

To speed things up, turn visibility off for layers that don't show up anywhere on screen during playback. Even if an object or layer is off to the right or left of the viewing area, AS will render the layer for each frame.
tonym

Post by tonym »

basshole wrote: I can't remember why at the moment, but there was some reason I created them separately (couch is separate layer from wall, etc.)...
Maybe you wanted to allow the creative possibilty of something moving behind the couch while animating?
basshole

Post by basshole »

Yeah, for sure. I swear I made things separate that didn't need to be. But here's the thing. . .if things aren't moving behind other things in every scene, then they can all be on the same layer. This I did not think of. I out clevered myself.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

My habit is to create nearly everything on separate layers, mostly because I like to reuse stuff a lot. But whatever moves together gets rendered together into one single image, and this image re-imported into the scene (or a duplicate of).
basshole

Post by basshole »

I feel you. I have something against reimporting, for some reason. I dunno. I like everything "raw".

Anyway, I think keeping the unseen stuff invisible is making a big difference. Probably the single biggest difference. Thanks for that. I have six bone layers and three backgrounds, with tons of shapes and sublayers. Whatever doesn't need to be seen at once shouldn't be.
kukuruza

Post by kukuruza »

The project very much is pleasant to me.