less smoothness to animation without redoing everything?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

basshole

less smoothness to animation without redoing everything?

Post by basshole »

I"ve been animating at 24 fps cause I thought that's what all the hep cats did, but when I see a rendered project, it has that too-smooth look of some of the new cartoons out there. . .almost looks like interlaced/60i footage. I would like a little more. . .stutter? to it, but I certainly don't want to go back and redo everything at 12fps or something. I guess I could always export from my NLE at a different frame rate when I'm finally done with the project or something. Just wondering if there was another way.
tonym

Re: less smoothness to animation without redoing everything?

Post by tonym »

Hmm. Maybe you could watch it through a fan?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You could try setting interpolation to "linear". That sometimes works.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'm lucky because in case this happened to me I'd export that sequence to TVPaint, where it is easy to delete every 2nd frame while maintaining the overall fps rate.

It's not done with just simply changing the fps setting. But I have a trick for you (the fan was the inspiration) if you work in v6 and can use the sequencer:

Put everything into a group folder. Duplicate this folder. Shift the top folder 1 frame in time. Set its visibility to 0% in its first frame and back to 100% in the second. Make this a loop.

You now have a top folder which is flickering and only showing every 2nd frame. Because it is on top of the original animation, this should result in having every second frame exposed for 2 frames exactly.

Code: Select all

Original animation:    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Top visible frames:    - 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 9
Bottom visible frames: 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 9
Result:                1 1 3 3 5 5 7 7 9 9 
gleeful

Post by gleeful »

slowtiger wrote:
Put everything into a group folder. Duplicate this folder. Shift the top folder 1 frame in time. Set its visibility to 0% in its first frame and back to 100% in the second. Make this a loop.
I am very intrigued by this approach, but I do not know how to make the loop you refer to. A search of the ASPro 6 manual yielded no info. A search of the forum did not help much either, probably because I do not know for sure what search terms to use.

Is the "loop" similar to "cycling" in the Timeline?

How do you create and control such a loop? Is a special script required?

Thanks for any tips you can provide this eager newbie.
What if?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

loop = cycling.
basshole

Post by basshole »

Sounds interesting. I might give this a try.
basshole

Post by basshole »

Sounds interesting. I might give this a try.
Tom_E

Post by Tom_E »

Isn't the cycling bug still in AS6?

viewtopic.php?t=13723

I think an extra frame is going to end up in the sequence somewhere at the end of the cycle... (but correct me please if I am wrong)
basshole

Post by basshole »

Well, by the time I finish my project, if that cycling bug is still in ASP 5678, I will worry about it then. Right after I come home from the war against the robot clones. To my moon apartment.

Ok, Jeez. . .I just saw on the export animations option, the option to render at half frame rate. I guess that would do the trick too?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

That will give you an impression on how it will look on two's, but will create a file which is not very useful unless you have an NLE which can convert it.
basshole

Post by basshole »

How do you mean? Because it's a 12 fps file now, instead of 24-made-to-look-like 12? Final Cut should be able to handle it. If I make a 12fps timeline, should work. I may just live with the smoothness. Good enough for Cartoon Network, good enough for me, right?
Darramouss

Post by Darramouss »

I reckon the fan is the best idea.
Sheer will is my greatest talent - Sledge Hammer!
basshole

Post by basshole »

Anyone have a 40 ft fan for those festival screenings?