Drawing Question

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

omenriver

Drawing Question

Post by omenriver »

QUESTION: Do most of you draw with a Mouse or with some kind of Pen/Stylus/Tablet?

I am attempting to work with the mouse and beginning to feel my hand is not steady enough.
I know Practice Practice Practice. Just curious as to what the 'professionals' are using :D

Omen River
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello all
omenriver wrote:QUESTION: Do most of you draw with a Mouse or with some kind of Pen/Stylus/Tablet?
Well, it depends.

You can use the freehand tool with a pen, you might go faster, might be more intuitive to you, but unless you can draw, you'll endup doing alot of cleaning and tweaking.

Personally I prefer the mouse over my Wacom for drawing in AS, while the Wacom is all I use in Photoshop.

I find that going a point at a time in as gives me huge amount of control over the drawing, I usually say that I am modeling in as, not drawing.

My avatar I made in few minutes, my first character in as, my monster was my full first character in as. Here are a few of the drawings I made using my mouse, in the end, it is a question of preferences.

Erik, from the Digata Defenders

A girl's head

A monster, with masks for shadows

A girl from La Reine Soleil movie

Gilles
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Right now I use a tablet PC, before this I used to use a pen tablet. From my experience, there is just one thing I'm sure, I never want to return using mouse, it makes all slower.
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

I draw on paper, scan that in and put it in an image layer, and "trace" that using the add point tool and the mouse. I find that give you economy in terms of geometry (!)

I'm just now starting to fiddle a bit with the pen tool using the wacom...
dsaenz825

Post by dsaenz825 »

heh, I'm not a professional but here is what I use.
I have a tablet but I'd rather not use it for anime studio, lets just say it distracts me. :wink:
But as long as I have a wrist cushioned mouse pad I can't complain.
I love comments for they help me improve on my weaknesses.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

I use pen and tablet, its the best and fastest way for creating drawings and to animate.
tonym

Post by tonym »

madrobot wrote:I draw on paper, scan that in and put it in an image layer, and "trace" that using the add point tool and the mouse...
Me, also.
Darramouss

Post by Darramouss »

Draw on paper, photograph with phone, bluetooth to computer then trace over in ASP.
Sheer will is my greatest talent - Sledge Hammer!
kphgraphics

Post by kphgraphics »

madrobot wrote:I draw on paper, scan that in and put it in an image layer, and "trace" that using the add point tool and the mouse. I find that give you economy in terms of geometry (!)

I'm just now starting to fiddle a bit with the pen tool using the wacom...
I have been doing this lately, but most of the time i would just use my drawings as references while redrawing the images in AS with my mouse.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Depends on the style you re after, use the tablet or wacom for a natural hand drawn look.
Mouse for minimalism and precision.
I use either or depending on the look and/or functionality I am after.
Imago

Post by Imago »

I use a tablet for the backgrounds, foregrounds, props and some clothes for characters.
But some parts of my character need more precision that only the mouse can give me.
Darramouss wrote:Draw on paper, photograph with phone, bluetooth to computer then trace over in ASP.
Uhm... I think a scanner be better for that work... :P
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
Darramouss

Post by Darramouss »

My phone is 5mp with a setting that enables it to take sharp pictures when photographing documents. Whilst a scanner would be more precise, my characters often aren't detailed enough enough to warrant the extra time that scanning them in takes.
Sheer will is my greatest talent - Sledge Hammer!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I mounted a digital camera to an old film enlarger... you know those old fashioned gizmos for printing your own photographs with chemicals like the cavemen use to do? ;)

Anyway, I can put large format stuff on the bed of the enlarger, and set the timer on the camera so there isn't any "movement" to blur the image when I press the button. Have to use indirect lighting on anything "shiny" but sketch paper works pretty well. It's great for those large sketch pads that won't fit in a standard scanner.

Another trick is to put a light box on the enlarger bed and put slides or transparencies on it. You can zoom the camera onto the slide image and have a cheap/quick slide scanner... yes... I have slides ;).

-vern
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hook the etcha-sketch up to an infra red camera and start a feedback loop to the stereo-lithographer then I just chisel it out of rock when that doesn't work and ram it into the back of an old calculator .A crystal set can send the signal via satellite to your iphone and boomshanka - works a charm. :P
omenriver

Post by omenriver »

chucky wrote:Hook the etcha-sketch up to an infra red camera and start a feedback loop to the stereo-lithographer then I just chisel it out of rock when that doesn't work and ram it into the back of an old calculator .A crystal set can send the signal via satellite to your iphone and boomshanka - works a charm. :P
I tried that but I could not figure out where to connect the Flux Capacitor
8)

Omen River
Thanks everyone for the comments