What skills will i need to be good animator.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jackass

What skills will i need to be good animator.

Post by jackass »

I figure knowing how to use anime studio pro 6 well isn't enough to make good animations. It also takes good drawings and many other principles of animation. I finish my story now I need voice actors, get the script writen and animate. Once i done with the movie I'll start a seriers base on it. Any tips
?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Jeez. Where do you start. You can come at this from a thousand directions. Some people will tell you different, but for me, drawing is key. There is no shortage of animation tutorials on the web, but in the end, it's down to you. To be good at something, you have to practise. In the old joke, that's how to get to Carnegie Hall...Practise drawing, then practise some more, the add some extra practise for the weekend. Repeat till competent. Then keep practising to stay competent. That would be (one way to) start.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Darramouss

Post by Darramouss »

I like putting my 2c in...

In my most humble opinion I think you need an awesome concept that hasn't been done before coupled with an awesome script. Look at Aqua Teen Hunger Force. The animation isn't that great, the sound, (apart from Master Shake's bitchin' voice), isn't THAT good, but the concept and humour make it go all the way to 11.
Sheer will is my greatest talent - Sledge Hammer!
jackass

Post by jackass »

Hey guys found this cool website that called storymind.com.
jackismyazz

Post by jackismyazz »

don't listen to useless things unless you have some spare time to waste, if u want to be good in animation :oops:
tonym

Post by tonym »

Steps to making an animated movie:

1. Have an idea
2. Write a script
3. Draw the storyboards
4. Record scratch dialogue
5. Make an animatic
6. Record dialogue and sound effects
7. Animate the movie
8. Celebrate your 70th birthday

:D

Haha, I kid about #8. But yeh, it will take years, if you're essentially doing all the animation work yourself.

UNLESS....I suppose, your main character is a sentient raincloud, and he's in love with a pretty little tree. And he really wants to rain on the tree, but he's too embarrassed. And then one day he gets a pep talk from a bird and decides to go for it. And so he floats above the pretty little tree and he starts to rain on her. Man, like buckets of water are coming down, and the raincloud is so happy. And then, suddenly, BOOM! He accidentally strikes the little tree with lightning and kills her.

Yeh, a story like that could be animated in less than a year by one person.
tonym

Post by tonym »

By the way, don't use that idea--it's mine. It's the best idea I've had all year.
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

why dont you just give it a shot?

thats how i figured out if i have skill for it.

the more mistakes you make the more you will improve, and the more mistakes you make the closer you will get to finding your own niche.

just load up the program, learn how it works with the tutes and manual

any talk about it is cheap, dig in and see if it's your deal.

RonC
Anime Studio, Xara Xtreme 4, Magix Movie Edit Pro 11, Papagayo, Ableton Live 8, Artrage Deluxe
jackass

Post by jackass »

Wait even with anime studio pro it would take years to animate a flim! Oh and Im getting anime studio pro 6 this wednesday.
jackismyazz

Post by jackismyazz »

tonym wrote: UNLESS....I suppose, your main character is a sentient raincloud, and he's in love with a pretty little tree. And he really wants to rain on the tree, but he's too embarrassed. And then one day he gets a pep talk from a bird and decides to go for it. And so he floats above the pretty little tree and he starts to rain on her. Man, like buckets of water are coming down, and the raincloud is so happy. And then, suddenly, BOOM! He accidentally strikes the little tree with lightning and kills her.

that story was so touching :cry:
I'm glad it never happened to any tree in reality :roll:
TheChewanater

Post by TheChewanater »

tonym wrote:By the way, don't use that idea--it's mine. It's the best idea I've had all year.
It's better than any of my plot-less videos the silly people on Youtube love so much.
ImageImage
omenriver

Post by omenriver »

Why should you lay the soundtrack/ voice track before animating?

Omen River
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

omenriver wrote:Why should you lay the soundtrack/ voice track before animating?

Omen River
Well, you don't necessarily need the soundtrack done, but you do need the voice track. So that you can sync the mouth to the dialogue.

You can set up shots and so on based on your storyboard while you're waiting for the dialogue to be recorded, but you'd be best off saving character animation until you have the lines to work with.
Darramouss

Post by Darramouss »

Let's say there's an explosion in your film and then characters talk about the event, such as, "Holy $hit, what the f@#* was that!!"

Your animation will need to match the sounds. They will have to react to the explosion before the explosion goes off, otherwise it'll look crap.

BTW, love the raincloud/tree story. I'd like to see that animated, tonym!!!
Sheer will is my greatest talent - Sledge Hammer!
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

tonym wrote:
UNLESS....I suppose, your main character is a sentient raincloud, and he's in love with a pretty little tree. And he really wants to rain on the tree, but he's too embarrassed. And then one day he gets a pep talk from a bird and decides to go for it. And so he floats above the pretty little tree and he starts to rain on her. Man, like buckets of water are coming down, and the raincloud is so happy. And then, suddenly, BOOM! He accidentally strikes the little tree with lightning and kills her.

Dude. That's a really great idea for a short. Do it man ;)