upgrade to v6 in middle of project

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

basshole

upgrade to v6 in middle of project

Post by basshole »

Is this a terrible idea? I see features, like the a/v timeline, that sound like they would possibly reduce the hassle of putting a project together, but I don't know how smart it is to install a new version and import a v5.x project into it. Am I asking for trouble? Will the new features and interface confuse me and undo all my v5 learning? I'm just now wrapping my head around the program, so I don't want to start from scratch, education wise.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

It depends on your deadline and budget. If this is a paid project with a deadline and an established work flow then NO DON'T DO IT!!!!! AAAAHHGGGGGG!!!!

If however this is something you can afford to use as a way to learn AS 6 or improve something that has no solid deadline then go for it. The rule of thumb is to never change versions in the middle of a project.

Remember if you do go to 6 and it doesn't work out, you have to go all the way back to before you switched over to 6 since those files can't be saved to an older version. Any work done with the new version would be lost...

... uh... make sure you work on COPIES of the 5.6 files. Make back ups so you can revert if you need to.

-vern
basshole

Post by basshole »

No deadlines, no clients. It's all about ME ME ME. However, I don't want to move any slower than I have already. That v/a timeline looks like a real time saver, as opposed to having to make each shot with a different sound file a different project, or something. But I'd rather not screw things up. So I guess I'll keep the old version.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

If its for yourself I'd say go for it. Only thing that really bugs me is the keyframe cycling bug :( but if you don't use cycles, I'd say go for it. i tried to cross-grade in the middle of a project that was paid. Don't do it.
basshole

Post by basshole »

Dude! I am going to use cycling a lot a apparently! What is this bug?
El Samo

Post by El Samo »

No kidding! Is there a bug in version 6?

I was going to upgrade (to Debut) just today...
basshole

Post by basshole »

OKay, I guess the obvious and free thing to do would be to try this Debut thing, the trial, with an existing project, and then see if I like it?

I'm assuming the A/v timeline solves the issue of only having one sound track per project, right? So if all your recorded lines of dialogue were different WAV files, you can import them all put 'em wherever you want, just like in video editing software, and time your animation out, etc.?
tonym

Post by tonym »

basshole wrote:Dude! I am going to use cycling a lot a apparently! What is this bug?
IMHO, it's the kind of bug you won't even notice unless you're looking for it.

Also, what are you waiting for? Upgrade! Of course you should upgrade! Unless money is an issue, then forget it.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Won't even notice? I use switch layers with raster images in a lot, and this is a hugely crippling bug:

http://lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13723

Otherwise, things work well, but that little bug is gonna perhaps persuade me to use 5.6 instead of v. 6 until it gets fixed. For normal cycling with vector animation, maybe it'll be fine, but for little animation cycles with a couple raster images, meh, its gonna be a problem. But, if you're not gonna be doing lots of cycles, I think the software's awesome.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Mikdog wrote:Won't even notice? I use switch layers with raster images in a lot, and this is a hugely crippling bug:

http://lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13723
Do you have an animation example that you could post to that thread where the problem is easily detectable by a viewer? Because I'm not seeing it unless I stare really hard and expect it.
basshole

Post by basshole »

Do we have any idea when fix for this bug will be released? The cycling I will use will be more like bone or point animations that repeat over and over, but it'll still have the bug, right?

But I tried the demo, and as suspected, that sequencer will be a godsend when I start animating in earnest.

If you've installed tools/scripts/etc. downloaded from this forum into 5.6, will they still be there upon upgrade to 6?
basshole

Post by basshole »

Hey guys. . .any word on this bug fix?

Also, I just thought of a more to the point question. . .how does lip synch via switch layers work now with this sequencer? I built my characters around planning to use switch layers for the mouth to sync to the "soundtrack". Does that still work with multiple audio files the same project? How? How does this new lip sync tool work. . .does it use the switch layers or is it something totally new?
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

from what I gather and the test I did, you select a sound source for a switch layer with the mouth shapes, then type in the words of the audio in a dialog box. Similar to papayago, the program then figures out or approximates the best mouth shapes for the audio and displays the mouth shapes along the timeline as keyframes on the switch layer.
basshole

Post by basshole »

Thanks. I went with more generic mouth shapes, so they're not going to match exactly. . .I don't have a specific shape for each phenome. More like cheap anime where they just kind of open and close.