No upgrade discount for AS Pro?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rogermate

No upgrade discount for AS Pro?

Post by rogermate »

Maybe I've read the website materials wrong, but is there no upgrade discount to Pro 6 if you've already purchased Pro 5?

Anyone can buy AS 5 now for peanuts, and then upgrade Pro 6 for the same price that users who have purchased Pro 5 have paid.

I know for a professional who gets paid for animation the cost might not seem much, but these days I can't justify sending money in on deals that are not as favorable for software which is the opposite of a necessity. Again, for others or for businesses the cost may be irrelevant.

It's like that Priceline commercial when you are on the plane and find out the person next to got their ticket for $100 or so less.

But I must say that it's nice that the product was upgraded.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

The upgrade price is $129 or you can buy it for $169. It doesn't seem right but there's already been a lot of fuss around here because of it. But it looks like that's what they are sticking to. I can't really say much more.
MikeHart

Post by MikeHart »

Yes, their P-politics are weird. And they don't offer a crossgrade Win->Mac either. Got told from their support that I have to by a new license. I guess that is the disadvantage when you buy a download version. Well, not always but with SM.
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

They should upgrade in $40 for old ASP users.
InfoCentral

Re: No upgrade discount for AS Pro?

Post by InfoCentral »

rogermate wrote:Maybe I've read the website materials wrong, but is there no upgrade discount to Pro 6 if you've already purchased Pro 5?
No, you read it right! Its really not bad marketing. First you set the price high and you get all the enthusiasts to buy in capitalizing on the accepted high price. Then that cash flow dries up and you lower the price and you get the regular users who will buy in at what is an acceptable price. Then that cash flow eventually dries up too and you start making great deals on it to capture the rest of the potential market. Right now we are in the high price cycle for all the enthusiasts.
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

Upgrades should not be more then 25% of the orignal price. More then that you will feel that you are buying new product.
Atout66

Post by Atout66 »

Upgrades should not be more then 25% of the orignal price. More then that you will feel that you are buying new product.
You're absolutly right, kkrawal. What do they expect with such prices ? :roll:
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

Adobe After Effect Price:$ 999 Upgrade 299 i.e. come to 30%
http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/

New Purchase of Autodesk 3DX Max $3990 and upgrade $714
New Is here

http://store.autodesk.com/DRHM/servlet/ ... =121531300

and upgrade is here
http://store.autodesk.com/store/adsk/Co ... radeCenter

Its less then 20%

I hope Smith Micro will understand this?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

These views have been aired ad nauseum. Buy it, or don't -- just don't bitch about it here any more! Please...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

The Comparative Upgrade Costs thread has already been shut down to stop this type of discussion from continuing.